1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DustinS, Jul 2, 2016.

?

Do you like the 4-year, $80M signing by the Rockets of Ryan Anderson?

1. YES

350 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. NO

291 vote(s)
    45.4%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Warmly welcome Ryan Anderson! The best PF we'v had since the ice cream man.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm sure Anderson is gonna fit in well and produce at a high level (as long as he can stay healthy), but I'll never be okay with locking us into paying him $20 mil a year for the next 4 years. I just think that's foolish.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been as consistent in my support of Daryl as anyone on this board, Batman, and I know he's wanted Anderson for a long time, but I'll never get behind paying the guy an average of $20 million a year for 4 years, guaranteed with no team option. I don't care what the cap is this year. That contract is simply absurd, and I'll complain about it when the topic comes up until Anderson proves me wrong. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

With the new cap, isn't 20mil something like 8-10mil in the last cap? I'm not acquainted with numbers.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

More like 14x

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Hey Deck, did I see that you were in Europe? If so hope you guys are having fun. My son just spent three weeks over there this summer. Anyway, all of the contracts being tossed about are mind boggling to me. The only thing I can say about the 20 mil a year on average contract that Ryan is making is not bad when you look around at some of the other insane contracts handed out the last two days. Plus, he starts out at about 18.8 mil in season 1 which is almost 8 million less than max.

None of that is likely to make you feel better until he proves hie can stay healthy as well as productive next season. I can completely understand that. This whole off-season has Les's signature all over it IMO. The hiring of MDA and the complete abandonment of any semblance of defense after Daryl stating that we needed to hire a coach that could improve the defense. Hopefully these will prove to be great risk moves that work, if not we will be in this same position this time next year if not much worse.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

90% of the complaints are dmofs, the rest are legit concerns.

We're not contending anymore, people are still adjusting to that

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If we're not contending we should be rebuilding. I think that's a legit concern.

But today's signings certainly improve the team. There's a lot of injury risk and I'll never be okay with giving Ryan Anderson $20 mil a year for the next four years, but I'm happy we'll be scoring more this year.

Just wish we'd approach things differently; strongly disagree with the direction Les and Daryl are going. Wish I could be more positive.

9. kevtse

kevtse Member

Just watched some highlights. Wow he is our new step daddy!

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I understand the concern as well as the logic, but are you sure we are not contending?

Dallas Mavericks in 2011 & Miami Heat 2006 were not legitimate contenders either but they both ended up winning a championship. If the Rockets can have some luck with their health they have a 50+ win caliber team.

At least on paper they are one of the teams that have improved. Do they have a good chance? Nope, but you don't turn your nose up at a team that is capable of winning 50+. If KD goes to Boston, the Thunder will have gotten a lot worse. The Clippers appear to have either gotten worse or stagnated. The Spurs haven't gotten any better (yet). It's still early in the off-season but I'm not willing to give up on the team on July 3rd.

We should know pretty quickly going into next season if Pringles can still coach an elite team. If the team continues to do down hill from this past season then you consider rebuilding.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Looking at the poll, more fans like the signing than those who don't. The ones who don't like it seem to be more vocal about it.

12. Mr. Clutch

Yeah there's definitely a good argument for that. 2 years left on hardens contract, we're not contending the first year. Then he's 29 and you have to think whether you want to give him a 5 year max with no other stars on the team.

That said I think the Gordon and Anderson contracts could very well turn into tradeable eassets. Both only 27/28 and if they have their best years here they will be pretty good value

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey yourself, Crash! Yeah, we're doing a Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise on a 118 passenger Swiss ship that's simply incredible.
    All inclusive, with wine and beer from whatever region we're passing through, and anything else you might want to drink, including single malt Scotch. There's even a hot tub on the top deck that's open 24/7. We've used it several times at night before hitting the sack. It's for 3 weeks, plus a week mostly in Amsterdam, thank goodness. We've gone up the Danube to the Main River in Germany via canal, and are now going down the Main to the Rhine and on to the Netherlands. The scenery is magnificent and we keep stopping at amazing Medieval towns. Her brother decided to take his two sisters and their spouses on this thing, including several nights at 1st class hotels at the beginning and the end. He's done extremely well over the years and is feeling his age, so instead of waiting until he goes to The Great Beyond, he's spreading some of his good fortune around to his siblings. Truly a heck of guy, kidding aside. I'm just a lucky former hippie who's fallen into a wonderful time (and running out of adjectives). My one regret is that the trip didn't begin in Amsterdam. ;-)- (I know, more info than anyone wants to read in the GARM - my apologies, but you brought it up!) Glad your son got to go. What an adventure!
    Back to basketball. I'll get over being angry. You make some great points, as usual. If Anderson can stay healthy and play like he did before his neck injury, my feelings about getting him, and perhaps even the contract, will improve dramatically. I'll calm down and cross all my appendages. Considering what we're doing, it shouldn't be too difficult. :)-

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

I think if harden returns to mvp form, then we have an interesting competitive team. Then maybe were in play for a trade for a big star at the all star break. I think that's the scenario for us contending.

But we still need at least one more guy

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a problem envisioning this team as contending with defense being ignored on nearly all fronts now. i just don't see how we win tough playoff series by trying to outscore everyone. when shots don't go in, you need to be able to get stops to stay in the game.

16. bmd

bmd Member

If there is one thing Morey is for sure good at, it's making good decisions with contracts. I trust his judgement.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't entirely understand the blowup about these Anderson-Gordon contracts (more so for Anderson). I guess some of you are the Latino type. Gotta vent your anger. Well, at least you won't have health problems from keeping it all in.

Yes, it seems an absurd sum of money, but Anderson will do us a lot of good, and we certainly couldn't sit on the sidelines.

I mean, hell, look at what some of these clowns are making this summer. Complete role players, at best, getting $13,000,000 - $16,000,000 a season.

Harrison Barnes is about to get a max offer sheet from Dallas. Now, I think Barnes is better than the dude who didn't show up in the playoffs; and even The Great One (Steph Curry) wound up with the shanks in that series against Cleveland. But Barnes is by no stretch of the imagination worth $20+ million per season.

Only question I have on Anderson and Gordon is health. Fingers crossed.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Mike Conley just came off an injured ridden season and Memphis gave him the highest contract in NBA history.

Not only that Parsons have been injured in two seasons in a row and he's still dealing with that knee injury. Memphis blessed him with a 23.5 per year contract.

Almost every team dished out these insanely bloated contracts. Lol they had no choice.

So why are we upset about the two contracts the Rockets gave out. They had to spend the money. And let's be honest here, this FA class was not that strong.

Next summer it's going to be even worse.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Can we get the "Ryan Anderson Plays No Defense (hilarious)" video ASAP?

Gotta kick this MDA era off right!

20. chandlerbang21

He has slowly regressed but the last two seasons and even Patrick Beverley shot better than him last year please look at stats before commenting