1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson makes $18.74 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Thank you.

These guys act like they are paying his salary. The mentality for NBA teams was we have the cap space (and the money...except NOLA) so why wouldn't we use it to get the players we want?

Guys always cry about Les being cheap and low and behold he overpays and you guys still b****.

DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right now it's just a hypothetical.

I also like that he is a guy who has wanted to be here.

Do I wish he played better defense or grabbed more rebounds? Of course.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok just wondering if you had someone specifically in mind.

And yes i agree on both those aspects of him as a player but just like any other player in the league he does have weaknesses. Is he some lockdown defener? no but atleast he's out there with effort and trying to be solid. Is he some rebounding machine? no but he's actually respectable

4. justtxyank

This is how I feel. The guy is a shooter extreme. Getting over 40% from your 4 while he stands three feet behind the line forcing a big to stay with him is so much fun.

5. dmoneybangbang

Capela is doing fine as center and shows how much better the Rockets could have been if Howard ran the PNR consistently with Harden.

This is Dekker's rookie season essentially. Again, we need to see if Dekker continues to improve as he doesn't have 9 seasons of data to back up him being an elite 3 pt shooter as defenses don't stick a man on Dekker like they do to Anderson.

I don't see Dekker being a better fit next to Harden yet as you put too much stock into 12 games worth of data and playing time.

Again, Capela is fine as center for now. Ryan's price is the spacing he provides for Harden and Gordon to operate and his production.

Morey choose Anderson precisely because of MDA and to complement Harden. Morey knows he can move Anderson if he needs to and he knows he can sign another big name player if he needs to.

Are you a child? My dude? What a rip off? Come on...

Maybe he is unimpressive to you but I see Anderson's value and what he brings. Hopefully his game will tick back up to his career production and he has plenty of time to turn it around being a measly 12 games in.

I am a rockets fan and support the team and all of the players. You seem to prefer to be butt hurt and ignorant. Take care.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

OK, let's say Anderson is a much better shooter than Dekker, Anderson is hitting 3s at 42% while Dekker's % will probably go down to 35% (his college 3pt%). So does that 7% really matter? Not really because Anderson is not a volume shooter, he only takes 6.9 threes a game! So that's where the bolded part of your post is laughable because Dekker right now takes 1.9 threes in 16 mins of play, that translates to around 4 threes if he got Anderson's PT. 35% of 4 is 1.4 shots, Anderson right now makes 2.5 shots. That basically translates to just 1 made shot so for all of Anderson's vaunted superiority in 3 pt shooting he just ends up making 1 more three than Dekker. And that's with the assumption that Dekker's 3 pt % goes down to his college level as he increases his attempts, historically player's %s actually go up as they get more attempts. Your entire argument around Anderson being good for the team is due to his significance as a 3 pt threat rather than his actual production, you're saying because Anderson is there it opens up the space for everyone else. That's correct, but I'm also saying Dekker can provide that "3 pt threat" role you are using Anderson for but unlike Anderson he will be a bit better at defense, rebounding and much better at transition offense. Those 3 things are worth far more than the 3 pts 1 extra made three from Anderson will give you, which is why Dekker actually has a better TS% than Anderson.

The whole salary argument is pretty dumb and honestly I expected better from you. First of all, you do know fans are the one paying for Ryan Anderson's salary, right? His salary comes from NBA revenues which come from viewership and ticket sales and other revenue, fans are indeed the ones paying for his salary. Secondly, it doesn't really matter whether or not we're the ones paying for his salary, due to the presence of the salary cap we want his salary as low as possible. Why do we want that?

1. Superstars aren't the only ones who can help the team, even good players in the 10-20M can help us in other positions like say center or the backup pg spot. The lower the salary of anderson the more capspace you have to sign potential players.
    2. Anderson's contract is for 4 years. A lot can happen in 4 years, just because nobody is available now doesn't mean nobody will be available in 4 years, if 4 years ago somebody told you KD will be playing for Golden State alongside Curry, Iggy, Klay Thompson and Draymond will you believe him?
    3. Having a lower salary makes him tradable. Having a high salary makes him untradable. Just because you can't think of any trade scenarios doesn't mean there aren't any, worst case you can rent that extra space for a pick!

And NO, Anderson hasn't been playing fine for a 20M guy, he's been playing fine for a 10M guy. THe cap is 60M, so a 20M guy is like 1/3 of your entire force, is 1/3 of your entire force to a shooter who's bad at everything else except shooting open 3's but only shoots enough to score 13 pts a game good use of resources?

Bonus:
    You like stats. I like stats. Morey likes stats. Smart people like stats.
    Here's Anderson's Advanced Stats so far:
    TS% 0.527(2nd lowest of his career), Winshares/48 0.076 (career low), OBPM 0.4 (career low), DBPM -3.5 (career low), VORP -.1 (career low)

You can argue that Anderson's performance is way lower than his historical performance and he will eventually play better. But you can't say he's "fine" or doing what he's supposed to be doing because he really isn't, he's been playing like garbage and putting career low numbers across the board, if all we wanted was a stand still 3 pt shooter who can't do anything else why'd we sign him instead of Steve Novak, a much superior 3 pt shooter who would also have come cheaper to the team? Obviously the team expected him to do a bit more than just shoot 6 threes a game, and that's based on what he's done previously his entire career. And that's why he should be benched, because right now he's playing like garbage and Dekker is providing what he provides and much more.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Seems like you are just complaining to complain.

Neither Anderson, nor his contract are hurting this team. Does it change in the future, maybe? But offense looks better than it has it years.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes 7% does matter. As a matter of fact that is very significant especially for Harden and an MDA team. and the difference between both of them as shooters is tremendous. Dekker needs completely wide open 3s to take when no runs at him because he isn't respected, while Ryno can take contested 3s in rhythm as defenses are trying to close out off pick and rolls from harden. What's laughable about your post here is that you think the attempts for Dekker would yield the results you believe after 11 games. That's just comical actually

It seems whatever your standards for how Ryno should be playing is completely not realistic and illogical. Without a doubt in my eyes Ryno is doing what hes supposed to on this team. And it easily shows because the offense is as good as its been in a very long time. Lanes are wide open as far as I can remember. And he's the best shooter by far Harden has had next to him. If you don't think so then, well just have to disagree.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  9. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Yeah I think he's been solid this year. He's been passable on D and he really stretches the floor. He'll only get better and more comfortable.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is also Capela's first time at starter and getting significant minutes, why is Capela doing fine with just 12 games worth of data but Dekker can't be counted on?

Anderson's production is a measly 12 pts, something that Dekker will also provide if he plays 30 mins a night.

How do you know this? Did you talk to Morey? Anderson makes 20M how do you move him considering his bad production right now who will take him?

Nobody wants Anderson to succeed more than me, because unlike you I think he sucks right now so I want him to raise his game up. You call me ignorant but apparently you don't use any type of statistical analysis at all, you're the ignorant one if you think Anderson is doing fine right now, for somebody playing with a guy like Harden his performance should be career highs instead of the career lows he's currently producing.

Just because you support the team doesn't mean you can't criticize them at all, that's the difference between being a normal fan and a homer. If you make a lot of money in relation to the cap shouldn't people have higher expectations on you? The Rockets right now are just paying 3 players: Anderson, Harden and EGO. The rest are making below market (7M contracts) or rookie salaries or veteran minimums, that's not sustainable and we need Anderson to step his game up if we want to be more than a 6-8th seed. FYI I loved the Anderson signing (before I knew his salary) and I'm hoping he turns it up. But right now he's playing like a bench player not the 2nd highest paid guy on the team.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Last I checked Ryno is having a career year in 3's which is what I predicted playing next to Harden. Anyone who thinks he's having a career low season doesn't really understand what his value is on this team.

12. larsv8

Why do you not understand that having Anderson on the floor completely makes the court bigger, like significantly bigger, and significantly improves our overall offense?

You keep referencing this 12 points number, like it means something.

His "production" is the highest team Offensive Rating that we have ever had in franchise history.

[​IMG]

#132 larsv8, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    seeingred and YOLO like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

No what's comical is you don't realize that Dekker's results right now are on par with Anderson. If we use Dekker's historical average, that was what would result in just 1 more made three which is what I said in my previous post.

My standards for Ryno is that he shouldn't post career lows across the board, that's not realistic and illogical? The offense has been good but it's not necessarily due to him, that's why Ryno's +/0 is also a career low. I'm not disagreeing Anderson is the best shooter next to Harden, what I'm saying is you're confusing what Anderson's role is with his actual production. The spacing you're talking about can be provided by any 3 pt shooter on the team, you think the lanes would be closed if we had a line up of Capela/Ariza/Steve Novak/Harden/Gordon? What I'm saying is historically Anderson is more than just a 3 pt shooter, but right now on this team he's a shell of his former self which is why I'm pissed off because the year he's playing below his standards it he year he got paid a lot. Maybe poor man's Anderson is ok with you, but for me it's not and I think it's a big reason why the Rox lost the games they did this year.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol at Dekker being on par with Anderson. ok please carry on with this delusional claim. There's absolutely no way were going to find a point of agreement there if you actually believe that bs. And no the spacing cannot be provided by any 3 pt shooter on the team. Again another delusional false claim and quite frankly very low basketball IQ

@larsv8 is correct. you are just complaining just to complain. I haven't even seen a really valid point that you keep trying to make as far as this particular subject

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah apparently any 3 pt shooter on the team can provide spacing and this output this according to @roslolian

16. larsv8

17. dmoneybangbang

Because Capela is proving it more so against NBA starters. Because Capela has played more against the D-League and NBA through his 3 years on a NBA contract.

Where did I say Dekker can't be counted on? Keep giving Dekker minutes off the bench.

NBA defenses simply don't guard the two the same. It's not just the points but the spacing an elite 3 pointer shooter provides, a reputation he has earned over 9 seasons.

Because there is a rising cap next season, Morey has contracts that come off the book next season (Ariza and KJ), and Les has shown he is willingly to pay the luxury tax for top talent. Morey can either move Anderson (attaching a pick/young player) or absorb an all star if he needs to,

Are we looking to trade Anderson after 12 games? No? Ok then.

His 3pt% is a career high right now and is stretching the floor for Harden. His shooting outside of 3 point range will go back to the norm, again it's 12 games... I don't know if Anderson played a defense that switched so much on the Pelicans. Again... maybe wait until at least a 1/4 season has passed or god forbid half a season.

I think you are ignorant because it's been 12 games and here you are jerking that knee....

I wouldnt call a player a rip off after 12 games just because their production has dropped and I wouldn't look too much into contracts right now since we had a very large jump in the cap over this offseason. It's just smacks of a knee jerk reaction.

seeingred likes this.
  18. justtxyank

Geez are they really scoring 1.18 per possession with Ryan in the lineup?

19. dmoneybangbang

Right now doesnt matter much 12 games into the season. Players have slump, players take sometime adjusting. Calm your ass down.

20. justtxyank

So with rhyno on the floor they are basically a hall of fame level offense