1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Ryan Anderson makes $18.74 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Nov 16, 2016.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

One thing I like about Ryno is he can drop 25-30 any given night.

It's nice to have several players capable of being the scoring leader.

D-rock likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Are you really why it's a bad idea to go from Anderson to Ariza in long duration small ball?!?

OK, who could fit the Rockets as a stretch 4 better than Anderson that was going to sign with us? What competent stretch 4 are out there that were available to us?

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If the only thing to consider is shooting, they probably could have gotten Steve Novak or Matt Bonner for cheap.

But just shooting can't have been the Only thing, though maybe the most important.

4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I've said this many times before that spacing is not the only thing he brings to the table, just the most important and the type of spacing he brings is invaluable to Harden and our offense. People harping on his contract simply don't comprehend 5v5 basketball or are stuck looking at the small picture, basically looking at him through a vacuum.

jevjnd and CisBuds4U like this.
  5. basketballholic

All true. Add in the quick trigger release too. Killer.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is no doubt that Anderson's "gravity" makes a huge difference. @Will said it best.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Steve Novak hasnt had more than 2.3 3 point attempts since 12-13 similar goes for mat bonner. Ryan has always been a high volume(read proven) 3 pt shooter

DudeWah likes this.
  8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Outside of rockets fans and a few other fans, I doubt the league know enough of Wiltjer to consider him as a 'sharpshooter'. Not yet at least

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The league knows that Wiltjer is a sharpshooter just by looking at him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Only one way for them to learn.

D-rock likes this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I used those two guys as examples of fours that can shoot the three. The reason they aren't high volume is because they aren't good enough at other things to get enough time to shoot more.

If all the Rockets wanted was space and shooter they could have given a fourth of that money to ray Allen and let Ariza play pf.

If ALL they wanted was shooting and space it didn't have to be a pf. If they weren't concerned about rebounds or defense then there are a lot of directions they could've gone in.

But I don't believe that's all they cared about. I believe the Rockets expect ryno to be a respectable defender and rebounder. Or at least slightly below average.

Hakeemtheking and roslolian like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not talking about in the past, I'm talking about moving forward, if you want to improve the team and are sure the chemistry wont suffer. Anderson and Gordon were the best offseason signings the Rox could've done in the offseason, but that doesnt mean the Rox have to stand pat moving forward.

I think Anderson is being overvalued now by the board, if he was so amazing he didnt have to actually score pts but he'll make the offense top 10 then he would have been treated as a superstar, even Lebron cant make an offense top 10 just by doing nothing. Anderson at the end of the day is still a role player, I wish he would've thrived like Gordon, Capela, Dekker, Nene, Harden and Ariza are doing but he's not, those guys are putting up career numbers in MDA offense but Anderson has remained at paltry nos...you cant count on him to have big games against top teams because his average is just 13 pts per game. To be a contender I think the rox need another consistent 15 pt scorer on the team, the only other replacement optiom is 3Za but he actually provides superior perimeter defense and I think he contributes more than Anderson does.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The reason Ryan shoots at 4 feet behind the line is because his release is so slow he needs those extra feet - players don't go out to guard him when he is out there - they stay inside the 3pt line, because when they DO guard him he is worthless other than a floor spreader.

He has value but we VASTLY overpaid for him.

DD

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Rockets are 4th best in the league right now but #21 in payroll. Nobody is overpaid on this team as everyone is contributing more than their share to win games.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

This is where I think you are getting a bit short sighted. Next year the cap rises. It figures to continue to rise. With the even crazier numbers players like Anderson will be signing next year, Anderson's existing contract is going to look pretty good.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Your evaluations continue to be incorrect.

oogie boogie, kubli9 and jevjnd like this.
  17. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I was just thinking about this in terms of Ryno's streakiness... despite being streaky, teams are not leaving him open and doubling off him. Defenses respect his shot, so that alone is a huge benefit to the rest of the offense run by Harden.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I understand what you meant but disagree with your interpretation that their shooting percentage would remain the same if given more attempts

I doubt ray alen would got as much rebounds as rhyno and RA cant defend 4s, if(big if) he can still shoot and ariza doesnt have post game or moves or would be able to take pounding with other 4s
    So ryno is used as a complete package and primarily as an incredible floor spacer...

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DMo is gone. You don't need to tear down his teammates with this silliness in order to prop him up anymore.

King1 and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I am a simple man, I will wait until playoffs. If ryan anderson is the liability/weak link i will consent that he was overpaid, and we could have used the money for other players (D-mo cough cough). but if he comes through clutch and we go far in the playoffs because of his shots then he isn't.
    So far I say he's been doing better than I excepted, we are winning because we have him on our team not in spite of him. I can't say the same for ennis and brown, seriously they need to be like Wiltjer and stand up and cheer least they can do as cheerleaders.

Easy, guys it's only been 1/3 of the games played too small sample to declare him overpaid/good value.

I personally think DD dislike Anderson because his big contact contributed to the whole D-mo saga.

#720 DatRocketFan, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016