1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rutgers Freshman commits suicide b/c roomate streamed sexual encounter online...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Sep 30, 2010.

1. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

well everyone does not have you mentality..........thank god

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I have to disagree with you there. Most freshmen...it is their very first time living away from home and some of them haven't even really "partied" before but do when they go away. Many of them are very immature at that point and that immaturity comes out that first year of college. They start doing things they never would have done still living at home.

I'm not saying that is how this went down...but I would hardly label a freshman in college as mature. Any nitwit can graduate high school and go to college. Some of them handle that transition quite poorly...because they have a new level of freedom...including the freedom to make bad decisions like this.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

How did it end up working out?

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I got made fun of a lot in Middle School. I didn't have a choice to get made fun of. I didn't choose the audiences(Not like I could get up and go to a different school). Having negative lies about you spread around certainly doesn't create a stigma around you. They are the same in the vast majority of incidences. I'm just being 100% honest, because thats what I am.

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

The guy shouldn't have killed himself but I could see why he was upset. Rutgers needs to do a better job pairing roommates, looks like they were completely different individuals.

6. juicystream

The Hispanic guy transferred out. Nobody liked him. He had the same hairstyle as the a-hole roommate in this story. The rest of us still hang out.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

thats exactly the same thing only way different than getting caught with a c0ck in your a$$ when no one knows ur gay......thats my guess

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its easy for us to say to the victim "man up, we had it hard" but we don't really know the details of this kid's life. What if his parents are very socially conservative and would've disowned him if they knew he was gay? I don't know if anyone here has or is a closeted homosexual but the whole reason why they are in the closet in the first place is a deep seated fear of shame from friends and family.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry for a dumb question, but what does "dropping game" mean? I honestly don't know and Google didn't really help me this time.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

While this is all true, I'm not that far removed from being a college freshman myself, and I can't think of anyone I knew as a freshman (who wasn't a total POS) that would get a kick out of actively trying to ruin their roommates life.

IMO, this isn't a matter of immaturity. Yes, college freshman are plenty immature. But I will maintain that you'd have to be a pretty terrible person to even seriously consider doing something like this. Because this wasn't a college prank; a college prank is sliding a bunch of piss pucks under someone's door or filling their hair dryer with powdered milk or slipping them a laxative and smearing icy hot on all of the dorm toilet seats. This was just needless cruelty.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Actually 2, Bio and chemistry. My advisor told me that unless you're going to med school, bio is a zero degree to have alone and since my minor was chemistry, i decided to go ahead and double major. Got out of SWT in 4.5 yrs and that was including playing ball. I get lazy on my english in here and I admit that, but yeah, I was a pretty good student. All for not since I run my own company and don't do anything associated with those pieces of paper.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Why don't you go rob a bank with a gun and tell the judge "I made a mistake".

Let's see how that flies :rolleyes:

13. sew

sew Member

At my high school, the gay kid got it worse then the nerdy kid, the obese kid, the poor kid, etc etc.

Being outted in this fashion along with the stigma that young students attach to being gay nowadays, couldn't have been easy to handle, especially for a kid who was already an introvert.

Sad story.

A lot of ignorant responses in this thread.

2 people like this.
  14. juicystream

Supposedly the video only contained kissing, and the roommate already told all his friends that the guy was gay beforehand. No idea how many people saw the live feed. And as far as we know nothing was ever recorded.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: Seriously? WTF is it going to become, "match.com" or "eharmony" bull crap? Like college kids won't change after Rutgers "successfully" pairs them up...? GTFO with that stuff, man... really? Rutgers FAILED? :eek:

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, nothing impresses women more than a guy filming and watching gay p*rn.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how they do things at Rutgers but I had nothing in common with my freshman roommate except we both liked the herb, something not asked on the roommate questionnaire. That apparently was enough to get along pretty good.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When I'm dropping game, I'm telling my daughter about how men or the world view her and want from her. My daughter is ver beautiful and in her early teens, older men used to try to get at her. So i was always in a constant fight in terms of given her information so she could use when I'm not around. I started talking to my daughter about sex when she was 10 yrs old. I wanted to give her as much info at a age I thought she could handle. My now wife worked for galveston county health district/std/hiv department as lead d.i.s. and I used her to help illustrate the pitfalls of unprotected sex. Trust me, thats a very hard conversation for a dad to have with his daughter, but its best she hear the truth from me than falsehoods from clowns.

1 person likes this.
  19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ya, when I was a freshman I had a 300 pound drunk....who was a football nut (back when I didn't care for the sport having lived overseas...). Love the sport now.

We literally had nothing in common...except we liked punani.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Good points, but I think you're actually agreeing with me.

Nobody chooses to get made fun of, but some people choose to do things that invite it. You cannot always choose your audience, but the kid who committed suicide certainly intended to. Some stigmas (he farts a lot, she's ugly) fade as you get older because the average adult recognizes them as trivial or juvenile stupidity. Others cease to be trivial and become bigotry.

There was nothing funny about this.