1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rutgers Freshman commits suicide b/c roomate streamed sexual encounter online...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Sep 30, 2010.

1. SunsRocketsfan

well there are no details of her involvement..
    So far it sounds like the Indian guy was the one that planned and set the whole thing up.. and the asian gal was just a friend of his.. She should have stopped him or said something but it could have well gone down like this "yo molly let me use your computer to watch my gay roommate have sex" she probably just went along with it. .

Sounds like that is the case since she was released without bail. Not saying she shouldnt face some sort of punishment though..

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

most likely the case thats how my roommate found out about clutchfans and then laughed at me for liking the Rockets the next night when I was totally wasted I puked on his bed (he had the lower bunk) for vegeance

the asian girl was involved because she allowed Ravi to use her laptop/computer to stream the video and chat and all. She was an accomplice and will probably get a lighter punishment but the fact that she would be ok with something like this makes me wish she gets just as harsh of a sentence.

man this indian guy really ****ed over his life and this girls now what started out as a stupid idiotic prank hopefully opens the eyes of other potential morons around the country to think twice before doing stupid ****.

and poor clementi it was probably tough enough trying to keep things a secret about his homosexuality and then this douche comes along. suicide is never the answer though but he must have been feeling all sorts of shame and anger.

if both of these kids get sentenced to 15 years + i wouldnt blink an eye and would sleep fine at night.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It was never funny.

I don't know what that means, but I'd have to guess you're failing at it.

Yes, because they were old enough to know better and their mistake led to an innocent kids suicide. Duh.

While the ending would perhaps not be as tragic, the crime is still just as cruel.

2 people like this.
  4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That would make sense. The Asian girl seems to be nothing more than an accessory to everything the Indian kid did. While they did view the first webcam encounter from her room, she's not the one who posted stuff on her twitter or sent out video chat invitations on her skype account.

She didn't proactively (/maliciously) attempt to spread the information on the web like the Indian kid did. She's still at fault for knowingly participating but in my mind she didn't do anything worthy of jail time. I'd still kick her ass out of school though.

The Indian kid is facing two felony charges of invasion of privacy with a max time of 5 years. That seems appropriate. In my mind it pales to what civil penalties the family of deceased could get.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This was pretty much what I was going for. Just admitting that I'd be one of those guys who would have laughed at it. I'd be feeling like crap right now though. We don't have to look much father than the SCK thread. That girl has a nude photo of her out on the internet right now without consent. I myself have seen the picture, though I did not share it with anyone else. She probably wouldn't be thrilled with the knowledge of that being out there.

Sometimes we don't think about the consequences of our actions. We almost never consider someone actually dying as a result. I tended to not make fun of other people, but I encouraged other people to.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why should it be nationally addressed? I grew up in the 70's and once you kick a bully in his nuts or just stang him or her in their eye when they weren't looking and he bullying was over.

7. SunsRocketsfan

Did you ever secretly wish you were your roommate? ;)

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

because bullying is a lot different these days than it was back then.

that's like saying texting while driving shouldn't be addressed because you didn't have any problems driving with your cell phone in 1985.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually what if he doing it from the sidewalk, or from the Google Street Scenes car?

This is sad but I cannot help but feel this is a result in the constant devaluation of personal privacy.
    From Constantly being on camera from Red light Cams to Google making money off satellite pictures of your home. . . . .

Rocket River

10. leebigez

I guess thats the norm for these younger people who are coddled and given everything. I was pre med and actually a double major with chemistry and I played basketball. Not to mention i got my girlfriend pregnant and had a child my 3rd semester. My dad who was born in 1935 in Jasper,tx wasn't trying to hear me talk about its tough right now. He would tell my the stuff he went through being black in such a prejudice place like jasper, serving in a prejudice military and the korean war, coming back to the civil rights stuff in the south and being minimized. What I was going through was nothing to him. I handled up, took care of my child, graduated and went on from there. Kids todays are soft as butter in july. I tell my daughter that and i also tell her how she needs to learn to come through the other side of situations. Life aint easy or fair, but you steal have to negotiate through the tough times. She's a sophmore at SFA right now and things haven't been easy, but she's ok i think.

11. The_Yoyo

times have changed physical bullying is still around but the new wave of emotional bullying via technology is more out of control than anything else and should be addressed. any kid regardless of physical stature can become an ******* thanks to a keyboard and a computer.

even when i was a kid in the late 80s through the 90s it was still primarily fighting since computers and the internet were still in its infancy. i remember the first time a bully said something to me my best and I kicked his ass after school i came home with broken glasses only to get my ass beat at home by my parents for getting into a fight

it probably should be talked about more at home though than having the government rolls out PSAs or in school.

12. leebigez

Whats so different about bullying now than it was in the past? Texting while driving is a technology phase, bullying hasn't changed, just the people doing it.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Consider yourself a better man than me then. I'm glad that I'll never see you laughing at a youtube video that gets spread around that makes fun of someone.

How old is old enough to expect your peers to commit suicide? 2 years ago these kids wouldn't be tried as adults. I forget though how most human beings become so much more mature when they are living away from home for the very first time.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Um, are you living under a rock?

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

He's just getting old. Back in his day he had to walk up a steep, snow-covered hill to AND from school.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

A better man? Dunno. However, I am apparently capable of distinguishing between "making fun of someone" and "cruelly and intentionally invading someone's personal life and then broadcasting it on the internet for kicks" while you are not.

Sheesh.

17. leebigez

Thats pretty much my point. Parents need to talk to kids and tell them about life vs letting them find out via the streets or on tv. I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but i think we have a true line of communication when we talk. When I talk to my 19 yr, i tell her about what it means to be a Lee. I tell her how men will pre judge her based on how she's dressed. I tell her about alot of the immature stuff i did as young man in regards to young women. I'm constantly talking and dropping game because I wan her to hear it from the most trusted man she know, not some meatball on the street. I think parents in general have given kids too many otpions and made it too easy for them. My daughter was bullied because she's beautiful and a model, but at the end of the day her freshman year at creek, she had to just handle up or keep taking it. She handled up, got sent home for a day or so, came back, and the bullying was gone, but I talked to her about the whole thing. Sometimes, you just have o kick a little ass and there is no way around it. I know its not pc, but thats just the way it is.

18. The_Yoyo

you drop game on your own kid?

19. leebigez

Thats pretty much my point. Parents need to talk to kids and tell them about life vs letting them find out via the streets or on tv. I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but i think we have a true line of communication when we talk. When I talk to my 19 yr, i tell her about what it means to be a Lee. I tell her how men will pre judge her based on how she's dressed. I tell her about alot of the immature stuff i did as young man in regards to young women. I'm constantly talking and dropping game because I wan her to hear it from the most trusted man she know, not some meatball on the street. I think parents in general have given kids too many otpions and made it too easy for them. My daughter was bullied because she's beautiful and a model, but at the end of the day her freshman year at creek, she had to just handle up or keep taking it. She handled up, got sent home for a day or so, came back, and the bullying was gone, but I talked to her about the whole thing. Sometimes, you just have o kick a little ass and there is no way around it. I know its not pc, but thats just the way it is.

20. leebigez

Got to and i have a 8 yr old daughter,a 4 yr old son, and a 10 month old and as long as I'm living, i will be dropping game :grin: . Better to hear it from me than some joker on the street.