1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Russillo] 76ers waiting on Rockets for Simmons / Harden deal; also PJ Tucker wants out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Dec 9, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you actually think it was about a set number of "opportunities"?

He wanted the offense ran through him like in Orlando.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Absolutely wrong.

3. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

We’re thinking very limited with Simmons. We’re imagining him playing primary playmaker role with tons of pnr action and isolation plays. Ultimately if his shots not fixed that role likely won’t be his since his shooting is so poor. I’d bet his pnr ppp aren’t the best with the way defenses would be able to sag and Go under screens. If you’re getting him for offensive output he’d probably be better off as the pnr roll man since he could make every read on the court with accurate passing. He should also be in the dunkers spot/leading the o in transition/pivoting the offense out of its main action. IMP he’s your maxed out draymond. Nothing to sneeze at.

you’d fill the role of shut down defender secondary creator and offer your team very flexible line ups. You would need a completely new team around him though but it’svery likely you find guys able to play with him since you’re not looking for premier 3/D guys with size which is near impossible to find

Easy, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/...s-still-complaining-about-the-houston-rockets

"I haven't had a system where I can be who I am since I was in Orlando. The fact that I played with a Kobe [Bryant], a James [Harden], and they were ball-dominant, affected me. But I've been in this system before, and I know how dominant I can be. I think I'm smarter now, and that is going to allow me to use my quickness and explosiveness in a better way."

"Teams wanted me to do different things than they promised me when I went to choose them. In Atlanta, I was going to be involved in the offense. Then, toward the end of the season, it turned into, 'Hey, we just got you for defense and rebounds.'

"What people don't understand from the outside is that, 'Oh, he isn't getting shots so his game is declining,' and that always goes back to opportunity and system. Players thrive with an opportunity and system.

"I have always thought: All I have to do is win. I thought the situation in Houston was going to be great. But that last year just wasn't there. We started out super good here in Atlanta, and I thought, 'This is it. It's all about to change.' And then, it didn't."

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life, Are you really saying a player has to be babied so much that the team needs to feed him wasted possessions on offense just for him to be engaged on defense. Also how is that Harden sacrificing 5 possessions, giving Dwight more post ups is sacrificing the whole team's offense.

Could you imagine PJ Tucker demands that he gets to do 5 step back 3's a game, but don't worry his defense will compensate for that.

HP3 and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

ok.

8. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Id try to snag as many picks instead of rotation players as possible. Embiid isn’t exactly known to stay in the best shape. Plus he’s a big with history of lower extremity injury. Unprotected future firsts on a team with possible injury concerns after you deplete their cap space and draft capital could spell a huge boon for us.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What most people aren’t mentioning tho is the SIZE we could possibly have with also being playmakers.

A lineup of

Wall
    Thybulle
    Simmons
    Wood
    Cousins

Lots of SIZE

cmoak1982, D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah ok Woj whatever you say smh.

D-rock likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The Rockets literally surrounded Harden with plus defenders so he wouldn't have to play defense. Why? Because the opinion was that his offense would compensate for his lack of defense.

Because Harden runs the offense and does what he wants.

No, because Dwight's defense was on an entirely different level than Tucker's.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

No feelings at all, actually.

I have liked a lot of your posts but this is one topic that further discussion would be meritless.

Just fact.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Remember this?

@Deuce likens it to Cousins>Wood but it would more closely resemble Simmons>Wood.

Josh Smith was one of the comparables to Ben Simmons when he came out of college.

joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no issue with you, you are just more invested in certain things than I am.

D-rock likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I honestly don't follow your logic here. Harden has never demanded that he should do randomly detrimental things on defense. He might have been an average defender, but it is what it is.

Dwight getting more post ups is quite literally sabotaging the offense on purpose. I also fail to see how that has anything to do with his defense. Dwight has never stopped playing engaged defense because he didn't get post touches like you implied.

I don't know how you can pin this on Harden, when everyone and their mother knows Dwight postups at that age in that year was a clearly an inefficient way of playing basketball. Let me ask you this, After Dwight was traded from Houston, did any team in the league give him any post up opportunities for his supposed elite defense, or did he get booted from multiple teams and decided to become a defense/rebounder only center with no post ups for the Lakers.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, if he can't shoot, he's pretty much Capela who can dribble and pass, or a bigger and less athletic Westbrook who has a brain. :D

BallaDoc likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

The bottomline is there isn't another player out there to build around that is as good as Simmons. Your happiness is your own issue.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.