1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook pushes fan after Thunder's loss to Nuggets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tehG l i d e, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MystikArkitect

Russ’s was a bit more *bang bang* if you will. Had less time to think, high pressure, etc. Ariza thought about it a lot and was in full mental capacity.

Not a good look but how many times are they going to let fans act like they can say and do what they want?

malakas likes this.
  2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes the fan was standing on the court. But he did not walk towards westbrook. He was just celebrating. Westbrook walk towards him. He initiated the interaction. I do think the nba should do something about it.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Sorry but you can't buy the right to be a douche.

It's just common decency. Noone should think they can insult someone without repercussions just because they spent money on something or they are rich. Then again, what else can I expect from people who elect a president with exact same characteristics.

malakas likes this.
  4. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

The fan shouldn't have been on the court.

But aside from that heckling is part of what is expected you're allowed to do within obvious limits at a game.

I have no idea what the fan said. But if he said what is considered within bounds while heckling and didn't step onto the court, I don't have an issue. The main issue seems to be the fan's presence on the court and not whatever insulting things he said AFAIK.

malakas likes this.
  5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lol, false equivalency much?

6. malakas

malakas Member

10k is not enough money to get you to scream profanities right at the face of future billionaires.

7. Vienna Calling

I dislike Westbrook but I really can't blame him for shoving this "fan" that has no business standing on the court screaming at him. No way in hell this deserves a suspension.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

From an ESPN article: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...er-shoves-fan-steps-court-loss-denver-nuggets

"The NBA's code of conduct for fans prohibits guests from "attempting to enter the court" and states that those who do "will be subject to ejection without refund and revocation of season tickets and may also be in violation of city ordinances resulting in possible arrest and prosecution.""

Be careful. Your hate for Westbrook is showing. The fact that you'd love to see the fan punch Westbrook is extremely telling - it's not that the fan can do no wrong, it's that Westbrook can do no right.

The only special privilege that people who paid a lot of money should get, is inherent - they get to sit RIGHT BY the players, playing. I don't understand your reasoning as to why it is okay for fans to scream at players and get extremely close to them, JUST because they paid more money for courtside seats.

Now you're also saying that players, once done with the game, should leave the court in a reasonable manner? Well, what about the fans? The game is over - why wasn't the heckler heading for the exits? Westbrook might have wanted to stay on the court to talk to other players, officials, coaches, etc. What's the heckler's excuse? Oh, right. He paid money so he gets to do what he wants. LOL.

Westbrook acted on a manic fan standing in front of him, and wanted to clear some space, between them. "Took out his frustration" has such a negative connotation.

But then again, anything Westbrook-related probably has a negative connotation to you.

When did Westbrook hit the guy? He put his hands on the guy to clear space, because security was nowhere to be found. It's pretty crazy how the superstar player on the opposing team didn't at least have 1 security guard with him, at all times. Security might have been more lax if it was a home game, but it wasn't.

Also, why isn't this equal vs equal? Why would it be okay for you to defend yourself against a person with unknown motive, but not okay for Westbrook to defend himself against a fan?

Again, money shouldn't be a factor. You pay for the right to sit close to the players when they're playing, not for the right to get close to them after the game.

Koperboy, Vivi, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, the onus should be on security. I have a feeling that Westbrook won't be fined nor suspended, but someone is probably going to get canned for this.

10. malakas

malakas Member

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was looking at the lines on the court
    I see the Three point line
    and
    How far was the fan on the court??? He looked like he might have still been in the OUT OF BOUNDs area

People make it seem like he stormed the court
    Basically . . .. If he just stood up . .. . if he was on the front row
    Then he was on the court

Rocket River

Game7 likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Game7

Game7 Member

If somebody is yelling at you, and you decide to punch/push that person, you just assaulted that person. They were in a public place. The fan wasnt trespassing. He technically is allowed to be there. The stadium has the right to kick him out but he didn't do anything criminally wrong, despite being an idiot. Westbrook went out of his way to approach the fan. If you watch the video, the fan is standing on the court already and Russel walks toward him. To say he was "protecting himself" by initializing violence, is ridiculous.

14. Game7

Game7 Member

Terrible look.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

no hes not allowed to be there. this post is whats ridiculous. sounds like you need to get out of that little bubble that youre stuck in

if you ever have the opportunity to sit courtside, please record yourself walking onto the court. let them know "im technically allowed to be here". See what happens

16. Game7

Game7 Member

You don't have to make any pointed statements about me buddy, but you can be childish if you want to. Bubble...hahaha.

As previously stated, the stadium has the right to remove you and ban you for getting on the court, but it does not validate a violent reaction from a player.

Also, I am not privileged enough to get the opportunity to sit courtside. It must be nice though...

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

judging by your "assault" claim its exactly what it sounds like. and the fan got what he deserved.

18. Game7

Game7 Member

That's assault brother. Not a claim. The fan didn't deserve to be shoved. Sorry to disagree with you.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

id say the majority would disagree with this. hence wb avoided any rep ructions for his "assault"

20. Game7

Game7 Member

Disagreements happen. All good.