1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Westbrook or Stephen Curry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Giant9erRocket, May 29, 2015.

?

Westbrook or Curry?

1. Westbrook

38 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Curry

80 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

All this BSPN Curry talk has made it sound like he is the greatest point guard to ever play the game however did people not remember the season Westbrook just had when he was the first option? 28PPG 9AST 8REB that's an average of almost a triple double every night while leading the league in scoring.

He's basically this generations Jason Kidd with better defense/quicker and greater slashing/dunking/shooting abilities. Once he learns how to post up he'll be unstoppable.

If I was a GM and had to build a team today around one of them I would hands down go with Westbrook (Plus he's a year younger than Curry and has more playoff experience). Greater defense, better leader, plays like a pitbull, greater dunker/slasher and has post up potential. The only two things Curry has over him is shooting and ball handling. I think they both have the same court awareness/vision for getting other players involved.

So I was wondering what the board's general consensus of who is the league's best point guard?

2. malakas

malakas Member

Westbrook usage was also at historic levels to get these stats. And most of the times his team lost. Curry is the better pointguard and playmaker and the much better 3point shooter. He makes others around him better, and Westbrook does not..as much.
    So Curry for me.

The league's best point guard however remains CP3.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

WB's stats are compiled by taking more shots than the rest of the starters combined...which would be ok if they were winning but they're not. Comparinv WB to a pg like Kidd is laughable as kidd is one of the best playmakers ever in the NBA while WB clearly needs work in that area..takes more attempts than Durant who is their best scorer.

5. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

Curry season came out of nowhere he still had the same stats from last year but really turned it up in the playoffs.
    You cant discridit westbrook either cause a healthy thunder is still the best in the west. Thunder would be dynasty if it wasnt for Morey

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If it wasn't for their cheap owner. If Morey didn't get Harden, some other team would have.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Chris Paul should be on the list. Curry, Paul, Westbrook, they are all on similar level. I'll pick whoever does best in medical tests.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know what stats you're looking at, but you evidently missed the important ones.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Curry doesn't play defense. Kerr does a great job hiding him.

10. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I think Westbrook with a lower usage rate is still a better player. Curry got so lucky he didn't have to face a healthy elite point guard this year in the playoffs. That's unbelievable with all the great points in the NBA.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Curry blows Westbrook out of the water.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I'm always saying... ball dominant point guard haven't won titles since Magic/Isiah. Curry can play offense in a lot of different ways. He is the perfect guard for today's game.

As crazy as it sounds I genuinely think Westbrook makes a bad team better than Curry could, but Curry makes a good team better than Westbrook can.

2 people like this.
  13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Lebron in the playoffs is doing the exact same thing as WB.

PS - Curry NEVER guards WB so there's your answer.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

If I wanted a guy to carry a bad team to respectability, I'd take Westbrook. If I wanted a guy to bring a good team to championship level, I'd pick Curry.

I've always thought that Westbrook is a rich man's Steve Francis, which is not something you dismiss easily.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Second. Westbrook is a great individual performer and better than Curry. But, I don't think he's better to build a team around.

16. dragician

dragician Member

14 stupid clutchfans so far.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Pretty much what I said in another thread. Curry cannot carry a bad team to being good/very good like Westbrook can. Only Westbrook, Lebron and Harden can do that currently IMO. Curry would regress in all areas if he had to start and finish/create on nearly every possession. Without other great players around him defenses can lock in on him and shut him down.

That said, take a 50+ (probably closer to 55 wins) win team and put Curry on it and you get the current Warriors. Put Westbrook on the same team and I don't think the team gets much and certainly does not become a contender.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

His stats are nearly identical to 2013-2014.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was trying to think of a contending team right now that would take Westbrook over Curry for just 1 season (no long term team building obligations). I'm thinking maybe New Orleans actually. That's it.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you nailed it. Curry also plays smarter basketball than WB, by far.

WB's defense is also overrated. He hasn't played consistent, solid D since his 2nd year in the NBA.