1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ believers thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by riko, Sep 7, 2020.

?

Will Russ bounce back for the rest of the playoffs?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. riko

riko Member

I believe Russ will bounce back hard in the rest of this series but I could be the ever optimist. I want to see Russ attack the bucket with more force especially off the Harden doubles.

I would run a couple of post up plays and let him use his mid range off the glass jumper

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Russ will be the reason we win the championship this year.

Harden just needs to be Harden and our supporting crew just need to do their jobs.

Dacamel, Rockets FTW, Tfor3 and 11 others like this.
  3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The #1 thing this guy can do for us is watch the film, take what the Lakers are giving him — the drive but not the finish at the rim — and learn to spot the open man. If we can get more of these inside-out 3's (which I think we hit at a significantly higher percentage than other 3's), minus the turnovers, that plus vigilant defense gives us a good chance to win each game.

4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I’m a believer..

Bo6, BigMaloe, RocketRed84 and 6 others like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He acknowledged his bad play and is working with Harden and the team to fix the problems so at a minimum that's a good start -- you can't predict if he will turn it around you just have to hope for the best.

6. thething

thething Contributing Member

Yes he’ll play better but he’s going to be the russ who shoots 6-7 threes a game and not the russ averaging over 30 ppg and driving to the basket. He forgot the mindset that had him playing efficient the later part of the season.

It’s a shame we can’t get him and harden going at the same time.

RayRay10 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe in Russ! I love his energy, heart, speed, and fight! He is a huge asset to our team, and I have no doubt he will shake that game off like a grain of salt and come back in a fury. The Dynamic Duo will be back, and better than ever!

Tfor3, BigMaloe, jcmoon and 4 others like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Spotting the open man, getting good clean passes on his evil kinevil drives is the difference between MVP WB and Jerry Lin chicken with head cut off WB

That and taking half the threes. FFS dish it out and reset to James when you're cold

BigMaloe, Patience, Roc Paint and 3 others like this.
  9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Westies rise up and keep the faith. There's always tomorrow.

Tfor3, hakeem94, riko and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

He is not the hero we want, but he is the hero we need

Or however that quote goes

BigMaloe, hakeem94, riko and 4 others like this.
  11. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

He will play better. No doubt in my mind. Attack the rim and if that's too clogged release the pressure with mid-range jumpers. But don't settle for 3 pointers.

His 2 point scoring helps us more than I think a lot of people realizing. It helps to pace and balance the 3 pt attack. And it sucks in the defense in ways that CP3's drives never could.

The Lakers seem resigned to live with the results of our 3 pt shooters, they know they can't rotate and contest every shot with their personnel. But they are making it a point to eliminate all easy layups and anything around the basket. Lebron especially is targeting Westbrook on defense and making incredible blocks from behind to hurt Russ' spirit and bait him into taking more jumpers and 3 pointers.

This is good for Russ. He needs to get forced back into playing the way he was before COVID. If he can figure it out, we win this series and are even stronger against the Clippers.

BigMaloe, hakeem94, jcmoon and 4 others like this.
  12. Asian Sensation

He can’t possibly be any worse than what he was last game so there’s that at least.

Ramo$e, Patience and juanm34 like this.
  13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I think Lebron challenging him at the rim with the 2 blocks and the dunk on his head shook his confidence a little bit. Still hasn’t gotten all his lift back yet.

I think we’ll see his legs come back over the next couple games. Just needs to keep attacking and get crisper with his passing.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Just cut the TO down first. As a PG, that's the basic. The TO/points ratio was absurd last game. One step at a time.

jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  15. riko

riko Member

To me Russ is at his best when he is catching passes and making a strong move off the catch to the bucket. To me he is not a PG per say. Playmaking is not his strong suite.He has to use his strength and that is his sheer power and speed to attack the bucket and then if he sees someone open then make a pass.

Russ is not you’re typical floor general like Harden or Paul or even Lebron who have the ability to survey the floor and market great decisions. To me he is a explosive combo guard that When he attacks the rim then he can make some actually descent kick out passes. I believe he will adjust and attack the rim more.

His game is all about attacking the rim which as result opens up his game.

glynch and D-rock like this.
  16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I voted no because he will have bad games here and there, but he'll have good ones too. He's not super consistent because of his style of play, but we definitely need his attacking.

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

I believe.

But I particularly believe in the duo of Harden and Russ. Something about them together just gives me the vibe they'll find a way to get it done.

bmelo, Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  18. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don't disagree he is more of a two guard, but when he has the ball, he should be intent what he is doing. If he goes up strong and blocked, I can live with that. Get back on D and next trip try something different. He is too stubborn to a fault.

riko likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Just run the f***’N offense!!!!!!!!

D-rock likes this.
  20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You can count on the fact that this in his head too. Remember, he did play about as poorly in Game 5 vs. OKC before he made a very impressive comeback in Game 6.

Of course I believe he can bounce back. Further, I believe he will be a key to our success in these playoffs. And I believe that will start with the very next game.

He has too much pride, too much ability, and too much want-to to allow himself to make the same mistakes in Game 3 that he did in Game 2.

Would I think that about any other player, on the Rockets or any other team? Probably not. But of all the players in the NBA, I believe Russell Westbrook is the most likely to play a terrible game and then turn it all around for the very next one. It's that quality as much as any other that motivated the trade for him in the first place.

#ibelieve