1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush Limbaugh says fiction character "James Bond" can't be black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by leroy, Dec 24, 2014.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Very interesting. Separate topic Perhaps.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you still dont get it...bond is british, but that does not mean he cant be black. shaft is black and that means he cant be white. i would argue that shafts black-ness is a more defining characteristic than even bonds british-ness. you picked possibly the worst example one could think of and after at least a dozen others have explained this you still dont get it.:confused:

here are some better examples you could have used to make your point...

a white lando calrissian
    a white winston from ghostbusters
    a white samuel l. jackson in snakes on a muthaf***in plane
    a white will smith in independence day
    a white will smith in men in black
    a white will smith in wild wild west
    a white vanilla ice in cool as ice

#122 jo mama, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I get it. I've always gotten it.

I wasn't aiming for the example least subject to criticism. I was going for the most stark, most controversial choice.

As I said, any other detail can likewise be changed to make the story flow.

Your examples are fine but they don't rise to the iconic status of Shaft much less Bond...

#123 giddyup, Dec 29, 2014
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think that's true, being old enough, as I posted earlier, to have seen Dr. No when it came out. On the day it first played in Houston, actually. I'm a fan of Fleming's novels and short stories about James Bond, and the films that came from them, in one form or another, although I really didn't care for those with Roger Moore. I saw them, but felt that Moore made a mockery of Fleming's Bond. The ultimate screen Bond, Sean Connery in From Russia with Love, and the best since, Daniel Craig, most closely fit what I felt Fleming was aiming for. In the way they played Bond, if not his physique. I could care less what that hypocritical fool, Limbaugh, thinks about the topic, but I do find the topic interesting. While I'm against casting a Black actor as Bond, because I feel that it would signal that the series has officially run out of ideas, I enjoyed Judy Dench as M. I thought she was superb. I thought Naomie Harris was brilliant as Moneypenny. In fact, should they cast someone else in the role, I'd be very disappointed. However, they are both supporting roles. Important roles, to be sure, particularly in the last film, but still supporting roles.

I would certainly see a Bond film with a Black Bond, and might very well be blown away by the performance of a Black actor playing Bond, whoever the actor might be, should he fit the role other than being Black, is given a good script to work with, and has good direction. I can't help but feel, however, that the reasoning behind such a move would be because of this hypothetical conversation. "The well is dry. We've run out of ideas. We have had a woman as M and Dench was excellent. We heard few complaints from those who actually saw her in the films. We've had a Black Moneypenny, and everyone seems to agree that Harris was terrific. What if we cast a Black actor as Bond? At least it would be something new." I just find that to be a lousy reason for making such a decision for what has become an iconic film role, one that has been with us for over 50 years. Yes, I would see it, probably more than once if it's good, but I still think it's a lousy idea. I could be proven wrong. If it eventually happens and I'm wrong, I will certainly admit to being wrong here. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm hoping Craig will hang around for a few more.

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

What's the new movie going to be called?

009 and 1/2 inches?

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

All I know if you ask people from all walks of life/all races, cultures, gender, and age around the world

What's the first think you think of when you hear James Bond

And there will be a lot more who answer British/England than white/caucasian

7. giddyup

Well, what you hear is a British/English accent... ;)

Ask them for a race or ethnic profile and whatever answer you get will describe the 50 year history of the Bond movies. That is the sore spot here... not racism as some are trying to charge. Just resistance to change from the familiar, the loved.

Someone who has only seen the last Bond movie is accustomed to a black Moneypenney. It's all relative.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If there is going to be a black Bond, I'd like to see Will Smith. He's funny, cool, and a great actor so he should be able to pull it off with a well executed accent.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Great Britain had a colony in India.

So can the next Bond be Indian?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If they made him black, the fact that the actor is black would change the story because the writers would think that they would have to address it.

an Indian or Chinese Bond would be great

11. dback816

dback816 Member

That's ridiculous. You can't pair Asians with white Bond girls.

12. Bandwagoner

You also can't have asian girls with asian guys. Between Ming-Na Wen on Marvel Agents of Shield and Lucy Liu on Elementary they have had 5-6 relationships with exclusively non-asian dudes.

13. Mr. Clutch

They did it with Jackie Chan

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

riddick roshan or jet li would be a great indian or chinese bond. i wouldn't go with jackie chan since he is kind of old now and plus his son does drugs and brought shame to the family.

15. Mr. Clutch

Can't be Chinese.

That's who Bond is spying on.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG] Sean Connery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Roger Moore

[​IMG] Pierce Brosnan

[​IMG] Timothy Dalton

[​IMG] Daniel Craig

#136 rocketsjudoka, Dec 29, 2014
  17. Bandwagoner

George Lazenby

[​IMG]

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that's your opinion

my opinion is more people notice and fall in love with his accent and masculinity first

before the color of his skin

19. giddyup

As I said a number of times, I'm not opposed to a black Bond. It just seems like a PC-satisfying, headline-grabbing idea. People are going to resist it because, like it or not, it is a major change to a cultural icon... not just some minor character in any movie franchise. This is the top banana around which everything revolves.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Ken Watanabe could pull off being Bond.

Personally I would like them to go with a FAT Bond. Maybe Ralphie May.