1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush Drummer Neil Peart: I Am Retiring From Music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

For those of us born in the 2000s, what are some good Rush songs?

2. the shark

the shark Member

Spirit of radio
    Entre nous
    2112 (the entire album)
    Fly by night
    Closer to the heart
    Limelight
    Subdivisions
    Working man
    Anthem
    Tom Sawyer
    The trees
    Freewill
    Red barchetta
    Vital signs
    Chemistry
    Losing it
    New world man
    Time stand still

Should get you started

3. the shark

the shark Member

I would suggest listening to 2112 first. I remember when it came out back in '76. Putting the needle down on the album, and then being BLOWN away!!! Especially the first side. Also remember to turn it up LOUD :grin:

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Carter Beauford is my guy.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would say there is a good chance I'm retired from going to arena concerts with this news. I lived for going to Rush shows over the years. Sure, I've seen plenty of other bands during my musical listening career of 32 years which started at about 12 years old seeing a Triumph concert. But, Rush is the only band I care to see play live any more. So, unless they or any of those guys tour again, I would say I'm done with the concert scene. It's kind of a sad day for me in this regard. I actually had a crazy dream last night about going to some fictional music festival near Toronto to see a Rush reunion where they would only play a few songs. Tickets were near impossible to get and prices were outrageous so I ended up sitting in an alternate section where we couldn't see the stage but could hear the music and were relegated to watching the bands play on video screens. It was basically a nightmare. lol

1 person likes this.
  6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Peart is actually one year older than I am, when you get this age it gets hard to do something you don't want to do (put up with ****). It's not like he has to do it for money. You can see the end of your health and energy and don't want to waste it on anything you don't love.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to start with their live album, Exit...Stage Left. All their classic material played live during the time when Rush were in their absolute prime musically (IMO).

As you're listening, remember that this is a TRIO and that there are only 3 guys on stage making all that beautiful noise. No backup musicians under the stage, no pre-recorded tracks to make them sound fuller. Just 3 guys on stage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0DyYWMLgXZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: The greatness starts at about 14:15. Enjoy.

#27 ima_drummer2k, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

and to follow up with what Ima posted, here's a video from the same era with many of the same tunes. Amazing to watch the guys play live.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oa9g49yeFms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  9. axstar713

axstar713 Member

I've got some great memories of seeing Rush in the old Summit, what a great band and each member is such a master of their instrument - or instruments in Geddy's case. The early albums from Fly By Night to Permanent Waves are my favorite, these days Caress Of Steel is probably my favorite but then there' Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings, 2112...can't really go wrong with any of them.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buddy Rich says F U.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I seem to recall a "way older than Peart" Buddy Rich gave maybe the best drum performance I've ever seen live and had a couple of minor heart attacks during the performance. No way Peart could keep up with that performance. And, he had nowhere near the drum kit size Peart had...which made it all the more impressive. I know it's on YouTube somewhere.

12. droxford

droxford Member

...also...

YYZ (the live version from Exit...Stage Left)
    La Villa Strangiatto
    Jacob's Ladder
    Marathon
    The Analog Kid
    Xanadu
    BU2B
    Leave That Thing Alone
    Caravan
    Force Ten
    Far Cry
    Malignant Narcissism

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This isn't really a surprise because it was said before the last tour that this was probably going to be the last tour, but they didn't want to say farewell just in case they changed their mind about doing it again. Neil has re married and has a small child so he really wants to at home and enjoy his family now and I can't really knock the guy for doing that.

14. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Glad this band may soon break up. Can't stand Rush.

15. the shark

the shark Member

If you can't stand them why do you care if they're still a band or not. Don't listen to them.