1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running shoe advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GraingerGuy, Jul 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Saw a commercial for these today. Thinking about trying them.

[​IMG]

2. dragician

dragician Member

or you can click on the ads in this thread.

3. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Unfortunately, I don't live in Houston anymore. I'm in CA now, but I do know of a store nearby where I live that is very trusted by many people for running and biking. So, when I get home, I'm going to go over there.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Brooks are what I wear as well. They were suggested by Luke's Locker after I ran in the store.

5. Pipe

Pipe Member

Been running for 30+ years, and run competitively. First of all congrats on discovering the joys of running - it does just as much for me mentally and emotionally as it does physically.

Lots of good advice in this thread. What brand works for one person may not for another, and the models change from year to year so it is hard to find a shoe you like and stick with it. Get advice from a good running store, try some different brands, and go with what feels most comfortable to you. And more expensive is not necessarily better. I often buy discontinued models online to save money.

Good luck!

6. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Member

I just recently started running also. It's been atleast 10yrs since I ran, last time was in high school. Anyways been going to Bear Creek park and Memorial lately still cant do 2 miles nonstop but slowly but surely I see progress.

Im also flat footed so I looked into some cheap running shoes and ordered thes Asics Gel Nimbus 14 online havent got them in yet but hopefully this week they arrive.

Running Warehouse has a few Running Shoes on sale. Save an extra 15% off with coupon code FB15D.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-SALETHINGM.html

7. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Yeah. A definite side benefit to the whole running thing is that it's quite cathartic. I honestly stop thinking about what's stressing me out for the day and I get to chill a little bit. Which...when you have my brain...I tend to think about a million things at once. So being able to purge a little bit is nice.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

brooks pureflow.

9. RV6

RV6 Member

How does one know if the salespeople even know what they are talking about? I would be careful about taking their advice.

2 things to consider:

1. Some people are born with arch issues, too much or not enough. However, many people developed their arch issues over time. Bad mechanics can alter your arch. So, you may want to figure out where you stand before committing to shoes that fit with a certain type of arch.

2. The whole minimalist argument. Basically, the theory is heavily padded shoes block ground stimulis that would usually help you move more efficiently. Imagine if you had shoes on your hands and how that would affect how you normally feel things you touch. All you'd ever feel is the inside of the shoe and there wouldn't be much need for your fingers to flex or extend. The foot's toes aren't as mobile as your fingers, but they work the same.

Personally, i'll never go back to heavily padded shoes. I went from hating walking barefoot all my life to loving it. Your body will adapt in time to the change. Don't think you have to go with something like the five fingers to experience minimalist running. There are tons of options now out there. You can always slowly work your way down.

10. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Member

Back in high school I was taught to breath in through my nose and mouth closed and exhale through my mouth and keep a pattern.

Reason I ask is cause I been reading up and most sites say inhale with both your mouth and nose...

What is yall breathing pattern when running!?

11. RV6

RV6 Member

I've always read inhale though the nose and exhale through the mouth, although with sprinting you may need too much air to keep that pattern, so i can see how you'd breathe in through both. You definitely shouldn't use the mouth to primarily inhale though because it'll active certain neck muscles that will throw off your breathing pattern.

So, i would only breathe in through the mouth when absolutely necessary, and even then, use your nose primarily.

12. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

either Asics or New Balances for me. then i wear my Vibrams a couple times of week too.

seriosuly, before Vibrams I couldn't run 5 miles without my feet hurting. even if you have the best padded 250 shoe, it's **** unless your feet and toes are properly distributing the pressure evenly.

I had to build those muscles up just walking around for a few months in the Vibrams, then I was able to run damn near forever.

Don't know em till you try them. Even the most fit people I know wear Vibrams for a couple days, and are in complete disbelief about the muscle groups they wake up.

13. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Brooks FTW.

Also screw nike+... download an app called Runtastic. Best running app out there.

14. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Breath through your belly like a baby.

15. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Member

I look for lightweight, flexible shoes. Just enough shoe to keep my feet protected, really.

16. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

but did you ever try 5 fingers? i'm on my 2nd pair in 2 years, absolutely love it. they suck for the like the first couple weeks, (like Birkenstocks), but man, am I liberated.

17. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

asics gel nimbus.

18. RV6

RV6 Member

I've actually used five fingers since 09. 3 pairs so far. I think they are great, but:

- $100+ is too much, IMO, if you are using them on concrete, which i do often. The sole will wear out very quickly because it's obviously really thin. I'd have to buy a pair every 3-4 months or so.

-the smell.....the only way you can avoid it is by wearing socks, never sweating, or washing them every single time you use them, and that last one doesn't always work. I don't have time to wash and dry every day. I tried using socks, but your foot slides around too much, if you go down a size, they're too tight. Plus, you have to buy 5 toed socks @ about 10 bucks a pair.

What I've been doing is putting Gorilla Tape on the soles wherever it's wearing out most. Fixes the wear and tear issue, but not the smell :(

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

I love my Nike Flyknits. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd pair. They're very light weight.

20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

i've bought 2 pairs of KMD sport LS, and I love them too.

they do smell, like any shoe, if you don't wear socks with them. I just bought like 3 pairs of injinji socks (15 bucks a pair), and they seem to work out just fine. I don't wear them everyday, so I don't need more than 3 pairs of socks, plus the injinji socks are made of some synthetic material that evaporates moisture pretty fast, making them reusable at times. the shoes themselves are washable too, just don't put the socks or shoes in the dryer; let them air dry

i've been told that people's feet can actually go up or down half a size after your foot forms. that might explain some of the sliding you experienced.

never the less, i can't recommend them enough. I had plantar fasciitis a couple years back, and vowed to myself to never let me feet get into that bad of shape. FFV's changed my life.