1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running barefoot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, May 25, 2010.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Running barefoot is so natural it's the way god intended us to run. He also intended us to run naked, but that hasn't caught on yet outside of Europe.

2. droxford

droxford Member

It's great to hear from you! Hope all is well - I remember a time when you were miserable and everyone here was feeling for you (in between attempts at hitting on you).

Care to give us an update on your life?

3. Isabel

Isabel Member

Thanks! And I really appreciate all that. You guys saw the part of my life that I'm not proud of, and helped without being judgemental.

I am good - the husband I speak of now is not the same one that I was miserably married to several years ago. That one just wasn't what a relationship is supposed to be. I never missed him and was relieved to get to completely be myself again. I wasn't single very long as it turned out. I think I'm a lot stronger now and better equipped to take care of myself from here on out. I also know how to spot the ones who are just looking for a piece of something. (no, not talking about you guys :) )

4. Isabel

Isabel Member

If that were the case, most women would never run. And that has nothing to do with how socially acceptable it is, or even whether there was anybody around to see them.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

So I tried BFR last night, now I'm blistered to all hell. After only 10 minutes, too. Fail.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Vivos instead of the Vibrams, because they don't look so weird and I hear they don't get the funk factor nearly as bad.

Anybody tried them?

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I have these and really like them. I ended up wearing them almost all the time during the summer (and got a few compliments on them) and not just while running. There's been a couple of times that I've stepped on a rock or something while running and ended up with a bruise on my foot, but that's something that is going to happen with those types of shoes and would probably not happen if I ran more. Overall they've been pretty durable, I've had them for about a year and a half with no issues, I don't do a lot of running so probably haven't put as many miles on them as others would in that amount of time. And I've never had an issue with them smelling.

1 person likes this.
  7. cod

cod Member

i've got a pair of vivo ultras. they feel pretty much like a "crocs" running shoe.

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Why didn't Zola Budd ever post in this thread?

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Not true!

[​IMG]

10. IVFL

IVFL Member

If you dont like the look of the VIbrams there are also running sandals out there. I really like these Lunas

Luna sandals

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i haven't been working out in them very much and haven't spent any significant time running in them, but i love Merrell's Trail Glove.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot_Mens

It's one of my favorite pair of shoes i've had.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Portlandia?

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

You know, those actually look pretty sweet. Not nearly as lame-looking as the 5 finger shoes. They work the same?

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

Yes. They have different levels of sole cushion depending on what you are going for. I like the trail, not only for the look but it does has a thicker sole, although it's still pretty minimal. They really are extremely comfortable.

The toe box is a little wider on the shoe so your toes have room to displace and spread out inside the shoe meaning it's still a very natural motion feeling...like you are barefoot.

I could sell these shoes...they are awesome.

15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

You've reeled me in sir. I will be investigating these shoes throughout the weekend.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

fyi, they carry them at REI

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm going to REI to try them out, I'll also be hitting up Luke's Locker to look at the Vivo's. I'll report back here on Monday.

18. IVFL

IVFL Member

I am asuming you are talking about the tv show, which I have not seen. Although I could see these being popluar with the granolas of the pacific northwest.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It sounds like don't have either shoe as of now, so how did you do BFR? Literally BFR?

What did you run in before? You may just need to work your way down slowly, especially if your previous shoes had thick soles. My first year of wearing vibrams I'd get occasional blisters, at one point i got a really bloody one on each foot, but tried to work around it and let them heal when possible. Eventually your foot adjusts. I've gone the last year and a half blister free, despite increasing running time for a while and now intensity.

You can also check out New Balance's Minimus lineup, if you want something similar to vivo and merrell. They just came out with new models too IIRC. also check out:

Birthdayshoes.com

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yep, straight up bare.

I was only doing 15 minute miles, being very mindful of my gait and strike.

My joints and muscles feel fine, it's just a matter of lacking the callouses.