1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running barefoot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, May 25, 2010.

1. droxford

droxford Member

When I walk around on hard floor barefoot for a while, my feet ache like crazy (they don't ache when I wear shoes). I would think my feet would be killing me if I was wearing these stupid looking shoes.

I remember a time when a lot of people were saying that these new ergonomic kneeling chairs were sooooo much more comfortable and better for your back. They were gonna replace normal chairs all over the world.

Remember these?

[​IMG]

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's like exercise. People who never squat will have a hell of a time just trying it and it'll seem like it's a bad and difficult thing to do, so they wont do it. Same thing here. Your body and muscles arent used to it, which is the point, they've become used to bad mechanics and aligment. Now that they're being put in a different position they'll have trouble with it, until they adapt to it. Most people won't experience that though because they'll quit right away. Just because something didnt take off doesnt mean it was useless or had the wrong idea, like eating healthy vs eating crap.

For the person that asked about running on the beach...yes it's good for you...some athletes train that way because the feet try to grasp the sand instinctively and it works and stretchs your toes and arch.

So no one has had the problem i posted about? The glue giving out? I passed on getting those injinji socks because they're like 15 bucks a pair and i'd need several since i workout in some way almost every day, but i'll probably have to buy some to keep from having to wash these shoes...

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I believe if you bought your Vibrams at REI, you could return them with no questions asked at any time.

4. ClockworkOrange

I've never had that problem myself probably due to the fact I bought socks for the shoes at the same time. I know a few guys that don't wear the socks, so I'll ask them about that.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There was a guy at our local running store the other day wearing them. He said you'll love them and not want to go back. I'd love to try some, but don't have the cash to spend on something I may not like at all. Not to mention the running shoes they sell are so comfortable that its hard to imagine switching.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

good to know, but i bought them directly from Vibram

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I read a couple things about these helping out with plantar faciitis/arch problems...does anyone know about that?

I feel like I completely rely on my sports insoles to keep my feet from hurting...but running without them would be awesome.

8. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Ask the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico about running without shoes :p

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When we're first born/kids we have adequate arches...as we get older and start to wear the average shoes, which are heavily padded with a wedge-like sole that is thicker in the back, our arches weaken. The padding acts like crutches and our arches hardly get worked out anymore. The wedge shape forces feet to strike the floor with its heel all the time and the arches dont get a chance to kick in and do their job.

Fascia is this tough tissue that surrounds and wraps around your muscles...if the muscles dont move, neither does the fascia and it basically gets stuck, creating adhesions and/or muscle knots.

Arches dont get worked out --> muscles involved dont get worked out --> fascia tightens --> plantar fascitis

Flat feet are also included. Arch collapses due to weak or inhibited foot mucles.

1 person likes this.
  10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

verrrry interesting...thank you for the info.

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Parasites ftl...

12. elrond

elrond Member

I'm a fan of the VFF's (I have KSOs), but make no mistake, like all things there are pluses and minuses. I use mine mainly for walking around, as I'm not much of a runner.

Plus:
    * Tactile feeling on all surfaces. Includes concrete, grass, dirt, sand, etc.
    * They're just fun. It's hard to describe the liberating feeling of walking around in these shoes. They just make walking a lot of fun.
    * Part of the reasoning for these shoes being better on your knees, etc., is that you will start walking with a lighter step, and not putting as much force on your feet.
    * If you're like many Americans and walk around the house with your shoes on, I think these would be much more comfortable in the house

Minus:
    * They will reek if you wear them without socks and if your feet sweat easily.
    * You do need to pay some attention to what you are walking on. If you accidentally stomp on a rock, you will feel it.
    * They get wet very easily, and don't dry quickly if you're wearing them
    * They have had quite a few QA issues. Hopefully these have been improved.

For anyone interested, you can go to http://www.birthdayshoes.com
    Think of them as Clutchfans for Vibram.

RV6, when you say sole and mesh, do you mean the side rubber to the top mesh? I wash mine about once a week, depending on the amount of funk, and am starting to see the yellow footbed is getting a little bit loose regarding attachment to the bottom sole. Sounds different from what you mention though.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Which ones are the least noticable when you wear them? Thinnest/lightest?

14. Pete the Cheat

do you have morton's toe? (your 2nd toe is longer than your "big" toe)

I was reading vibrams are less effective for us folk

if so check out mortonsfoot.com. I have had the insoles for about 4 months now and the knee/ankle/arch pain I was having problems with have dissappeared.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I can't do the barefoot thing. I've got plantar fasciitis with a heel spur and need a strong arch support to run with any impact. I would imagine the Vibrams would be the same on my feet, but I have no idea.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah my problem is on the utside of the shoes, where the top mesh meets the rubber sole...mainly from the middle going forward, the back doesnt seem to have unglued much, if at all...

you'd have to checkout their website to decide for yourself....i believe they're all pretty light and any different between them isnt significant at all....personally i think the least noticeable are the KSO, but that's not saying much, since any of them are likely to stand out. The thinnest are probably the cheaper ones, one is the Sprint, but those look too feminine to me, look like the top of a high heel.

17. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Al Bundy's dream realized.

[​IMG]

18. Isabel

Isabel Member

hehe, my husband ran a lap around a track barefoot, remembering he used to train like that. You have to do it a certain way, though; he forgot and tore up his feet. Too much adrenaline and didn't notice until he walked off dripping blood everywhere. I agree that's not the best surface to do it on.

19. droxford

droxford Member

Wow! an Isabel sighting!

20. Isabel

Isabel Member

yeah, I'm in here off and on... need to remember this bbs is here. Sometimes it's hard reading through a bunch of pages of a thread if I wasn't there from the beginning. :) Good to see you're still here too!

1 person likes this.