1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running barefoot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, May 25, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A friend of mine who just ran a triathalon wears the Vibram Five Finger shoes. He said they take awhile to get used to and you use more energy than you do wearing a running shoe.

One other thing he did mention is that get prepared for a lot of foot odor if you run in them.

[​IMG]

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those are some pretty feet.... haha

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No glove, no love...

btw, i see personal trainers wearing them...super ghey...

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

My brother has been wearing those Vibram Five Fingers, and he says they are really good.

I run about 6 miles each day, but I generally wear the running shoes with the least amount of cushioning and the most light weight. I read an article in NY Times a couple of years back saying that one of the leading causes of runner's injury was due to over cushioned running shoes.

6. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Run a lot faster without shoes.

7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i read that they are machine washable.

8. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I think you have to take into consideration what surface you are running on. Running on concrete or asphalt with no shoes sounds like a bad idea. Maybe if you are running on dirt or sand it will be okay but I don't think humans were built to run barefoot on hard paved roads.

9. Vik

Vik Contributing Member

Vibram Five Fingers are excellent. I don't run too much on pavement, but I have taken them out for a few miles here or there. Jogging in them really changes your stride, and after a couple of times, you automatically begin to change your upper body alignment -- for the better.

Where they really excel is on trails. It's great to feel (painlessly) all of the contours of the rocks, leaves, sticks, etc. below your feet. The traction is amazing, and I've even enjoyed a little bouldering in them. They are also awesome for squats in the gym.

I think I have Morton's Toe as described in the link above, but I haven't had a problem with them. They stretch and mold to fit your foot quite well. Also, there is absolutely no odor problem at all. You can pop them in the washing machine or use a little dish soap on them in the sink and then just hang them out to line dry. They are much easier to maintain than sneakers.

Also, I would add that my feet feel substantially stronger after using them for just 3 or 4 months. My arches, which were pretty low, have strengthened, and the foot/ankle ligaments on top of my feet are more pliable.

Consider this a wholehearted endorsement.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What did the five fingers say to the face?

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

which ones do you have? the Bikila seems to be their best running one.

I also worry about a fit. I wear a 13-14 and have a skinny foot so usually shoes that fit me length wise are often too wide.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If I saw someone running barefoot or with those foot gloves on, I would definitely be making fun of them. That would provide good entertainment for a while.

13. Vik

Vik Contributing Member

I have the Sprint ones. The Bikila ones were not available when I got mine, but they look ideal for running. Mine are used primarily for hiking, short runs, and lifting legs at the gym.

In terms of fit, I'd highly recommend trying them out at the store (REI carries them, not sure who else) and walking around in them for a bit because they use nonstandard sizing. And the rubber stretches/molds to some extent over the first 10-15 hours that you wear them. The nice thing about REI is you can return them used anytime, no questions asked.

1 person likes this.
  14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

alright so i had posted positive reviews about Five Fingers in the past, but on a duplicate thread i believe, and up until then i had no real issues with them....however i realize with every wash they become undone where the sole and mesh join. The glue is giving out and i'm not sure why.

Their FAQ says they can be machine washed with detergent, which is what i did and used. I then air dry them outside.

Any have a similar issue? Anyone wash them regularly and never experienced any problems? I used the tide detergent with dawn detergent, so i'm not sure if that combo is the problem, but i dont see why it would be. I also used regular deterget for one wash and it still affected it.

15. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Saw a chick running barefoot at Memorial the other day. I see a lot of Vibrams out there, but barefoot on a gravel trail is too much.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I used to stay barefoot for most of the summer when I was a kid. The bottoms of my feet were like leather by the time school started. This was before fire ants, the scourge of the universe. I had never heard nor seen the damn things until long after I was grown.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So running barefoot on say the beach is good for you? Or bad?

19. ClockworkOrange

For those of you that are worried about the odor that might develop, Injinji makes socks that fit in the Vibram Five Fingers. I use them in mine.

http://www.injinji.com/

20. right1

right1 Member

I think Yao is even playing barefoot this year to relieve stress on his feet. Scola is considering the foot gloves.