1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RUMORED] : Hawks/Rockets deal...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StevieFlight3, Jun 27, 2005.

1. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Atlanta making a move on Ukic?

Reports out of Houston suggest that a deal is on the table which would see the Rockets trading out of the 1st round. The player that Houston is supposedly targeting, Luther Head, might not be on the board at 24 according to what his agent Mark Bartelstein told us earlier today. It?s his belief that Head will end up being selected ?in the teens,? which would mean that the Rockets would have to select from a crop of raw European small forwards and big men or reach for a college player who is a little bit lower down on their board. The Atlanta Hawks are interested in trading up from the #31 pick to #24 in order to secure the services of the Croatian PG Roko Leni-Ukic, should he end up slipping to that spot. The problem is that Ukic is receiving major interest from both the Toronto Raptors at #16 and the Phoenix Suns at #21. The Raptors have already filed for a visa for Ukic to live in Canada (this is necessary for non-EU or US citizens), which most likely means that he is at least on their board.

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1022

2. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

this better not happen. we can't continually trade away 1st round picks and expect to get younger and more athletic. we either should trade up or stay put. at #24 we aren't going to get a high impact player but that will definitely be better than a mid 2nd round pick player who probably wont make the active roster. i'm almost convinced that we don't understand the importance of the draft, even though we should considering past talent acquired through the draft.

3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I'd like the Rockets to have a first round pick. But, I can see the Rockets trading down a couple of slots in order to get a much needed 2nd round pick!!! (yea, I say it's much needed, because those are the only guys who get any of the fans here on the board real excited, see Langhi, Morris, Spanoulis, Badiane, Tito Maddox, and Cuttino Mobley.) But there is still hope with Spanoulis and Badiane ;) !!!!!

4. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

if nate robinson is still there, and they take him...i'll be happy.

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

What would the Hawks have to give up to move up seven spots?

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

Their #1 for next season. :D

7. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

there #2 pick! HAHAHA

J

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

gee late 1st rounders or second rounders --> tony parker, manu ginobili, luis scola..... they sound pretty good to me.

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

It will be SICK if this Luis Scola guy turns out to be as good as some say he is.

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I would like it on the record that I was thinking this was the guy the rockets wants (see my posted in the GARM and in the Draft forum)

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

I'l like to go on record by saying this is probably a smoke screen. :D

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What would Rox motivation be? 31 and 59? Harrington? Diaw (TE)?

13. Willis25

you are probably right, which is why I am claiming my glory now - rather than wait until the actual pick (since my prediction will probably not come true)

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would love this deal if it was the #24 + expiring contracts for Al Harrington. (It would make a lil sense if the Hawks go with Williams at #2)

Well, depending on his contract. Not quite sure what it is ...

But Harrington is a very versatile player. Probly better than anything we'd get at 24. Definitly more established.

15. pople

pople Member

So, let me get this straight...If Luther Head is available at #24, the Rockets take him and keep him. If Head is gone and Ukic is available, they select Ukic for the Hawks and deal him for #31 + ?. With #31 I'd like to see them go for Lee or Turiaff. The fact that they wouldn't just want to draft Ukic and keep him for themselves I think is further testiment to the development of Spanoulis.

16. Willis25

I agree... and if you believe the Head rumor, then that also goes to Spanoulis being ready, since he is a tall PG (who can guard 2s), and Head is a shorter SG (who guards 1s) - but both can handle the rock

17. pople

pople Member

I agree... and if you believe the Head rumor, then that also goes to Spanoulis being ready, since he is a tall PG (who can guard 2s), and Head is a shorter SG (who guards 1s) - but both can handle the rock

Yes, but can you imagine JVG playing an all-rookie backcourt? Sounds good for the future though.

18. pople

pople Member

Sorry Willis25. I meant to give you credit for your quote.

19. Willis25

for a minute I thought I F-ed up and posted twice ! :eek: :D

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and what if ukic goes to toronto at 16 and head goes inthe "teens" like the article said?

we don't want are pick and neither will the hawks. good to know.