1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Page / Pre- Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Greg#3, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

With all the rumors the last 2 days before the draft, I thought it would work out best if they were all posted on 1 page. here are the ones I've seen so far:

Wizards #1 - Reports say they will take Brown or Chandler at #1. I think this is a smokescreen and that the Warriors will trade up to #1. MJ loves Rodney White and about a week ago, when Doug Collins was asked to name the players he liked, he listed KB, EC, TC, EG, and SB. Good smokescreen coach. I also belive that MJ want JWil in next year's draft so I see #1 for #5 and the Warriors 1st next year. Warriors select KB and Wizards hope and pray that White is at #5.

Clippers #2 - Eddy Curry is good friends with Q and Darius and would love to play there but it looks like Elgin Baylor likes Chandler instead. Also, the Bulls may trade up to #2 to take Curry. Most likely , a HSer will be taken at #2 in the end.

Atlanta #3 - Battier, Gasol, and Griffin seem to be the canidates. Gasol is the most interesting of the bunch I believe since Kukoc is in Atlanta. I'm not sure who they really like though if all 3 are avaliable as I expect. I think they will keep this pick and if they trade down, it will only be 2-3 spots. Also, Dermarr Johnson is rumored to be on the trading block if they can find a decent veteran for him.

Chicago #4 - Krause likes Eddy Curry but what does his not-so-secret workout of Diop mean? He pulled similiar crap last year with Chris Mihm and I'm not really sure as to what he's up to. I think he'll take Curry if he's avaliable but if he's not able to get him, I think he'll probably just take another PF like he does every year.

Warriors #5 - Like I stated, I think they are after #1. If they keep this pick, they like Chandler and possibly Gasol. If Griffin is still on the board though, I can't see him falling out of the Top 5.

Vancouver #6 - So many possibilities that I could write on them all day. They really need a center and Diop would be the best one left at #6 but they want soemone that can help them win this year in their new city. They could trade down with Detroit for the pick they owe them next year but Detroit might be content to sit at #9 and take Brendan Haywood. Also, this is the last pick for Gasol to play next year, so they might trade with Houston or Boston if he is still on the board. SAR might be traded on draft day and that would change so many things that I won't even try to speculate on that issue. If Battier falls to #6, I could easily see the Grizzlies staying at #6 and taking him. Lastly, they may take Jason Richardson and shop Dickerson. Who knows. The possibilities seem to be endless. This will be a pick that could change the draft greatly.

New Jersey #7- Jason Richardson is their man and I think he will be avaliable. However, they are trying to unload KVH which would shift their whole strategy. I don't think that they will find a taker for him. Other guys to watch for are White and Gasol.

Cleveland #8 - I heard the radio interview with John Lucas on Saturday and he said some interesting things. First of all, Mihm will be a 4 and if their Euro center doesn't get healthy, they may take a center. If they don't take a center, then they will take someone who can create their shot on the perimeter which is something Lucas realizes they need to compete in the East. Lucas also expressed the attitude that he doesn't want a 3 year plan or anything like that. He wants to win right away. I see them taking Joe Johnson unless Gasol or Tyson Chandler has slipped through the cracks and down to #8. But remember, it will either be a center or a playmaker on the perimeter. That I'm pretty certain of.

Detroit #9 - Rumor has it that Dumars likes Haywood with this pick. They need a center to move Wallace back to the 4 and I think they will take a good look at Diop if he's still avaliable. They may trade up to #6 to get Gasol though. If they don't take a center or Gasol, they will take a scoring SF to compliment Stackhouse.

Boston #10 and #11 - Gasol and Diop are the guys they want with these picks. Gasol probably won't be there while Diop has a pretty good chance. They also seem to like Kedrick Brown, who I think will end up here or Portland. Vlad Rad is somewhere on their draft board as is Troy Murphy. They also need a PG but should wait to address that at #21 with Tinsley, Cook, or Lopez.

Seatle #12 - Seatle needs a big man with this pick. Steven Hunter may have moved ahead of Woods for this pick. They also may go after Troy Murphy or Vlad Rad, one of which will be avaliable.

Houston #13 - Vlad Rad might be the guy but someone will robably fall to this spot that the Rockets weren't expecting, a la Joe Johnson.

The 2 players that will most greatly affect the draft are Tyson Chandler and Pau Gasol. Chandler could go #2 potentially or he might fall down to #8 and beyond. Gasol may go as high as #3 to Atlanta or slip down to Boston at #10.

Veterans that might be on the trading block include SAR, KVH, Payton, M. Fizer, Dermarr Johnson, Croshere, and Cato if we all keep saying our prayers. All in all, it will be a very interesting night and I hope I don't have to find out about it when I get home from work because that would really suck.

Feel free to add to this list of rumors because I'm sure I have missed a lot of them. Does my analysis seem right n to you guys??? Thanks for reading all this. I know it's a very long post. It took about an hour to write. [​IMG]

Picks #14 - #23 will be added later.

------------------
    President of the (the Rockets first pick in the draft) fan club.

[This message has been edited by Greg#3 (edited June 26, 2001).]

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

This is getting crazy-

The key players are Brown, Chandler, Gasol, Griffen and Battier- Curry and White could crack the top five- These guys will determine alot

What if there is a run for centers in the lottery pushing haywood, diop, woods, and hunter value to teams that need a center. I think an early pick of any of those 4 would panic some teams especially if any went top 5
    Stanger things have happened.

Could you imagine White, Battier, Richardson, Radmanovic and Johnson being available near the bottom of the lottery- Rockets may try to move up to 9 or 10/11-

I like the 13 pick unless you can trade up top 6 for someone Rudy and CD really covet.

------------------

3. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

4. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Does anyone really think Memphis wants the 2 rookies in Gasol and Richardson??

Bibby, Richardson, Gasol, Swift, ??? is a very young lineup. They would still need a quality center and what would they do with Dickerson?? Might the pick Curry/Chandler at #3 for the center position and then draft a SF at #6?

Also, is Bibby and #6 for #1 still a possibility?

------------------

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I see the Rockets taking RUBEN BOUMTJE-BOUMJTE with the 13th pick.

The 18th pick will be TONY KEY.

With the 23rd pick the Rockets will select SIRVALIANT BROWN.

I've heard this from my "sources".

They just have a Rodrick Rhodes hunch.

------------------

6. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Greg#3, nice job!

I thought Van wants to win this coming season so that they wouldn't have to give up that high #1 pick to Detroit next year. By trading away SAR, they don't have much of a chance to make the playoff. I agree with your assessment that with 2 high picks this year, they are bound to be in the lottery again next year, probably sitting somewhere between 1 & 7. The only way to avoid surrendering that pick is to tank games so that they are guarantee to finish in one of the last 2 spots. Tanking is such a disease for a team that I would really doubt they will try to do. Maybe Van will try to do a swap with Detroit this year (say #6 for #9 & some type of relief for next year's conditional 1st pick).

Where are the analysis for picks 14 to 23? You are not waiting till tomorrow, are you? [​IMG]

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

7. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

If the Rockets draft Ruben Boumjte-Boumjte, Tony Key, and SirValiant Brown, I'm becoming a Mavs fan!!!

Thanks for the compliment Moonbus. I'd hate to see Memphis tank next year but they just may pull if off.....on accident!!!!! [​IMG]

Back to the draft analysis:

Golden Satte #14 - GS needs a PG because Mookie Blaylock is gettng old and they need someone to run with Jamison, Hughes, and their #5 pick. That being said, I don't know if they think that Tinsley, Cook, or Lopez is worth #14. If none are worthy, then they will select a center in the likely event that Marc Jackson signs somewhere else this offseason. Loren Woods is ready to give them 20 minutes a night and thy should opt for him if they don't get their PG of the future.

Orlando #15 - Orlando has lots of options with this pick. They know what they plan to do with this pick and I don't. They could be picking for another team who is willing to take players from them to clear up salary cap space. If they keep this pick for themselves, I'd expect a big man with Hill, Miller, and McGrady set at 1-2-3. They seem to like Steven Hunter over Loren Woods.

Charlotte #16 - Charlotte could take the popular pick in Forte but it might be too early for that. Richard Jefferson seems to be the projected one here and I think he would fit well into their style of play. They need a defensive stopper after Ray Allen lit them up like a Christmas tree in the 2nd round.

Toronto #17 - The Raptors need to replace Antonio Davis and will probably go after Troy Murphy if he's still on the board. If not, then probably expect Zach Randolph or Michael Bradley to be the pick.

Houston #18 - I have a bad feeling about this pick. The Rockets will probably pick a center like Brenda Haywood or Steven Hunter who will do squat in this league. Haywood is the next Kelvin Cato minus the fat contract and Hunter is the next Carlos Rogers. Hopefully, they will wisen up and pick the smartest kid left in the draft, Jason Collins out of Stanford.

Portland #19 - This pick may be headed to Boston with Bonzi Wells for Kedrick Brown. Whichever team has the pick should go after a PG becasue the Celtics don't have one and Stoudamire could be traded if they feel Barkley is ready to take over running the point.

Cleveland #20 - The Cavs will get a center and someone that can create their own shot with their 2 1st rounders. Whichever one they don't take at #8, which will probably be the center, is the one they will take here. I see Samuel Dalembert, Haywood, and collins as potential picks.

Boston #21 - If they haven't gotten a PG yet, they will certainly draft one here. Again, Lopez, Tinsley, and Cook are the canidates.

Orlando #22 - Probably trading this pick, possibly to the Pacers, Bucks, Heat, T'Wolves or Lakers who don't have 1st rounders.

Houston #23 - Say it ain't so but it looks like Terence Morris will be the pick here. Oh boy! If the Rockets draft Gearld Wallace with this pick, I will **** in my pants!!! Hopefully, I'll be home from work in the event that this happens. [​IMG]

------------------

8. JAG

JAG Member

Houston #18 - I have a bad feeling about this pick. The Rockets will probably pick a center like Brenda Haywood or Steven Hunter who will do squat in this league. Haywood is the next Kelvin Cato minus the fat contract

I don't really have a problem with that, beacause A) The really bad thing about Cato IS the contract, and he played ok before he got it. B) How much do we invest in the 18th pick? Not too much for a big, athletic body to bang, and the possibility that he'll develop better than Cato. If not, we cut bait after 4 years, and it didn't cost us that much, either in $ or pick value...

------------------

9. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

You're right, Haywood wouldn't get a fat contract, but he just doesn't seem motivated.

------------------

10. Curly

Curly Member

Payton seems to think that he is out of Seattle. Sent out this statement to the fans. Do you think that Seattle will bundle him and the 12 for a/the top pick?

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0627/1219259.html

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

11. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

He seems to be a goner to me.

What will MJ do with this pick?? I hear Elton Brand, the Glove, and I still think he might make the trade with GS to select Rodney White at #5 and then try to get Jason Williams next year. I don't think he'll keep it and take a HSer because I think he will attempt a comeback next year. The suspence is killing me!!

------------------