1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR: Mobley, Griffin and Nachbar to Celtics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsfan03, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

jasper,

You are new here. Please be advised that this is not any ordinary sports bbs. People here take credibility very seriously. It has nothing to do with you personally. It has everything to do with the culture of this site.

We believe this is the best sports site in the world. We want to keep it this way. So we tune our BS detector to "high sensitivity". If you say something as fact, you'd better provide proof to back it up, or you'll lose your credibility pretty fast. Otherwise, just say that it's your opinion. You are free to express your opinions here (in a nice way, of course). We all understand the difference between opinions and facts.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

C'mon he got that tat while he was at Texas Tech and Batman was still pretty cool (mid 90's) - give him some cred.

Oh yeah this trade fu#king BLOWS!!!!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I never said Battie was worthless, GATER, I just think it's a bad trade. Of course, you didn't mention anyone in particular. :)

I also found out from checking out a BBS in Boston (thanks, nameless! ;) ) that not only did they all think we were getting raped (well, 98%), but a problem with Battie's knee was brought up several times (Williams has had knee surgery as well, apparently). According to them, he has a recurring knee problem. Didn't sound real serious, but it's recurring and worth thinking about. Just an FYI.

Here's a quote:

This trade seems incredibly lopsided to our favor. It will be great if it happens. Mobley has been a Celtic killer for years. Awesome three point shooter! To get Eddie Griffin and Mobley for E-Will and Battie would be incredible. How are these two on the defensive end though? I know Griffin is a shot blocker and probably a good defender. We would be giving up two of our better defenders. Another aspect of this trade may be the fact that both Battie and E-Will have had knee surgery. There is always the risk of re-injuring that area, especially with the running game. Just don't throw in Kedrick Brown or Brandon Hunter.

And here's another one:

Battie's knee is supposed to be OK now with the exception of occasional tendinitis flare-ups which many players experience. Battie was the 5th overall pick when he came out, and would give the Rockets a great center combination, and Battie could also slip over to play some PF for them.

The Cat can score for sure, but he also has a habit of giving the ball up to the opposition almost as often as he hands it to his own guys.

We might have to chuck in a draft choice here, yet we have some to spare, but with these two guys, the Celts would be greatly improved.

Just found it interesting.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Good God I hope the trade is really dead. That's just plain ridiculous to even CONSIDER trading Cat and Ed-Boogie for Williams and Battie. Just garbage. There should be no more trades for awhile...the team needs to be set so that there is some sort of team chemistry.

Cod

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

So the trade was only a rumor right? please tell me it was only a rumor!

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Fromt he Boston Herald Today

The information age still has a few bugs to work out - like yesterday when a trade rumor had the Celts sending Battie and Eric Williams to Houston for Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin and Bostjian Nachbar.

Aside from the fact the numbers don't work out, sources from both sides say it's never been discussed.

From the dead file, the Celtics and Portland did discuss a move that would have sent Battie for point guard Jeff McInnis, whose contract is more favorable - but the talk went nowhere.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

haven, Deckard, and any others with reasonably cognitive skills...

I listened to over half of the streamed radio broadcast of the Boston radio station breaking this "trade". I did not here that much about the C's raping Houston. What I heard was whether they could get any value out of Griffin or would he become just a throw in.

Further, in this link a CC member asks Celtic's fans for their take:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=176833&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=156

...still no rape.

The truth is that on this board Cuttino Mobley is extremely over valued. If there is a grain of truth to the rumor (and even Clutch couldn't 100% de-certify it), I propose that Battie and Williams is very close to market value for Mobley and Griffin.

Is it precise? No. That's why I threw in the Battie/McInnis comment. The trade rumor is far closer to reality than Paul Pierce for anything we offer exclusive of Steve or Yao.

Is it close? Absolutely. Unless you believe that Carroll Dawson has some clandestine objective to destroy the Rockets. Or that (on assumption that the Rox want to move Griffin and Mobley), CD would turn down a better offer for this one. Go back and re-read all the verbal tar and feathering of Dawson. That's a majority opinion.

The NBA is awash is SG's and swing players. Cuttino Mobley could start on how many of the sixteen 2003 playoff teams? 2 or 3 in the best case scenario. I can willingly agree to disagree over the value of Williams and Battie...but at the same time I request that you recognize Mobley is not going to net an All Star starter.

Mobley is a one dimensional, shorter than average SG who has a great attitude but a frequent problem reining in his game for the betterment of the team. In trade, he is much closer in value to experienced, role playing, fundamentally solid journeymen than he is to All Stars.

8. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Mobley's value comes in the size of his contract. Is there a player in the league that scores more and makes less than mobley? If there are, there aren't many.

Mobley and the trade exception should be able to net us a better player. I wouldnt mind seeing Mobley/Griffin/trade exception for a SG or a PF that shoots at a high %.

9. GATER

I don't know how you define "there aren't many"? The following players currently make within $1.5m of Mobley and can/will score within 3 ppg or less:

Rip Hamilton
    Peja Stojakovic
    Juwan Howard
    Ricky Davis
    Karl Malone
    Gary Payton
    Sam Cassell
    Pau Gasol
    Matt Harpring
    David Wesley
    Chauncey Billups
    Jason Richardson
    Richard Jefferson
    Tony Parker
    Caron Butler

Bonzi Wells, Jason Terry, & Gilbert Arenas make $2.5m.

Mobley ain't worth an All Star.

10. GATER

Bonzi Wells, Jason Terry, & Gilbert Arenas make WITHIN$2.5m.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, I'm using a little poetic license. ;)
    They did think it was a great deal for Boston. I guess it's similar to how we react sometimes to trades or potential trades... with large numbers of posters getting all excited and then frequently taking another view after awhile.

Getting Taylor being an excellent example. Most here thought we'd died and gone to heaven when it happened, but you'd be hard pressed to find even a small % who are excited about him now. That will change, of course, if he starts playing well for an extended period. (I probably like him more than most... but hey, not like the Cat! Is he ever going to be let out of Fantasy Purgatory??)

Several posters on that board (not the one you mentioned) were talking about playing Cat at the point. I would say they were getting a little carried away, wouldn't you? :) Well, it didn't happen, so we get to hopefully have a gas watching the Rockets/Spurs game tonight.

Just curious, GATER, but had you heard about the previous knee surgeries of Williams and Battie? Some of the Boston fans didn't think it was a big deal and a few mentioned it. I guess I know more about Boston now than I did yesterday.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Your list is misleading.

1. You have a lot of players still playing out their rookie contracts.
    You can eliminate Gasol, Richardson, Parker, Jefferson and Butler.

2. You have a lot of over the hill players whose best years are behind them or decided to take paycuts to play on a championship/playoff caliber team.

You can eliminate Howard, Malone, Payton, Cassell.

3. Rip Hamilton will average about $8.5 million over the next 6 years. Cat averages about $5.8 million over the next 3 seasons.
    Arenas will average about $10 million. Bonzi Wells will be a FA and who knows how much he'll make. More than $5.8 million for sure.

4. Ricky Davis? Jesus.

How many are left on your list?

13. Stylez

Stylez Member

I never thought there was anything that could seriously make me consider not be the biggest rox fan on the planet but if this trade were to take place I would more pissed @ the rox than I've ever been. Ew and tb are avg @ best and since the cap room it would create wouldn't get us kobe it makes absolutely NO sense.

14. GATER

Absolutely not. It perfectly answers the question. The original poster is using logic that equates to a player making >= X dollars and scoring ~= Y points ought to be worth an All Star in trade.

The list proves that the logic is total all BS.

15. GATER

Deckard -
    To be perfectly honest, the C's fans should know a lot more about it. But I did notice that in his last 4 seasons Williams has played in 82, 71, 81, and 68 games. For perspective, Mobley finally had both ankles operated on this summer.