1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR: Mobley, Griffin and Nachbar to Celtics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsfan03, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

thankgod this didn't go through. Man this would have sucked...

2. jasper

jasper Member

It's not something I just made up, but that's cool.

I'm not really for or against Mobley, to be honest. I loved him and Tyson Wheeler at URI, but also think he is something of a gunner and a below-average starting 2-guard in the NBA.

On the Rockets, he is a terrible guy to put out there with Yao.

For the Celts, he could provide some bench scoring - which they could use.

Anyhow, if you go back to my first post on the subject, part of this makes a lot of sense, but I don't really think there is a trade that works in the end.

3. jasper

jasper Member

Hey Possum and others.

I'm just telling you what I heard. I'm not being a jerk about it or talking mess about your team or trying to start some major controversy or fronting like some big insider jocksniffer.

So you really don't need to be donkeys about it, OK?

4. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Yeah this thread is like 12 pages. It needs to be closed already, but since its up I'm gonna put in my 2 cents. I think this trade would be terrible for Houston. LaFrentz got Dallas an all-star in Antoine Walker (btw, did he lose weight?) Griffin didnt have Dirk,Nash and FInley on his team, but I think He and Raef's stats were pretty close last season. Eddie could be valuable in the East to some team. Man SAR and Rashard look so good right now. Mobley is a poor man's Ray Allen, and Boki is playing better every game. If we are going to trade any of these guys we can certainly get more for them than that!!!

5. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

On the Celts, he is a terrible guy to put out there with Pierce.

For the Rockets, he could provide some bench scoring - which they could use.

6. haven

haven Member

Damn, Jesper. Sorry your introduction to the board had to be so nasty.

Leave the guy alone. He may know something, he may not. But what he suggests is, at least, plausible. And he didn't start his own thread to say it... so is there any real reason to bash?

Glad this trade has died. I fully expect something like it to go down in the future, but hope that it's more weighted to the Rockets. Take out Nachbar, and throw in a 1st round pick, and I wouldn't be opposed to this deal (if Griffin really is unsalvageable).

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Most think this trade would have been trash. It did not go down. Quit b****ing!

haven,

Well put.

Jasper,

I hope this does not spoil it for you. I see what you are saying. Many of the people given the same information would have done the same thing you did.

Stick around, the board needs some different perspectives.

Welcome.

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I think that Eric Williams and Battie will definitely help us improve our chemistry as they are solid role players. So I dont necessarily disagree with the thesis of this move. But I do wonder what OTHER options were available to us. Its been reported that Brent Barry is on the market and I am sure there are others who are as good or better role players out there. It would be interesting to find out what we turned down in lieu of this deal.

9. jasper

jasper Member

Thanks, guys.

And good luck to the Rox. I would really like to see Yao do well in this league, and I love the additions of Adrian Griffin and Pike.

Get more talented versions of those guys, and a roughneck or two, and you guys are in business.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

jasper, so who did you hear this from? a "friend"? troy baros?

no source, no credibility. stupid moniker had it right, this is jasper's opinion only.

11. Miggidy Markell

So his own teammates on the Chinese National squad who don't get Yao the ball enough and jack up ill-advised shots are going against their own culture? HAHAHA, you are one funny man jasper! :D

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

even if you're of the opinion mobley doesn't fit at all here (which i certainly am not) or griffin is bad for us, why are people so willing to trade them below value? cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't a good idea. we can use all the talent we can get. eric williamns and tony battie ain't all the talent we can get.

"they're role players who know they're role players"

yeah, b/c they don't have the talent to do otherwise. cuttino mobley is very talented offensively. he just happens to have found himself on a team (and we happen to be blessed) with two even better offensive options. from his 2nd year through the first month of last year, it was necessary that he was our 2nd option and a big time scorer. no one else was even close to competing for the 2nd scorer role. and even once yao established himself, he was inconsistent (and people slam mobes for being inconsistent) or hitting the rookie wall. however, during the last month of the season, who had adjusted and was the 3rd option and turning himself into a catch and shoot type of guy on the perimeter more than ever and upping his defense more than ever? yeah, mobley. he is what we want in a sg and he's cheap. it's not going to get much better than that. and don't think the rest of league who needs good scorers who aren't defensive liabilities don't know it. it sure as hell isn't getting better with eric williams and tony battie. if mobley's gotta go, we better get some real talent in here at a position of need, pf or pg (if we move steve after the trade), not "role players" with minimal talent. and we damn sure better not throw in a guy with potential and another guy who we may use as our sf one day. are we trying to rebuild boston for them?

plus, what if steve ever goes down for an extended stretch? wouldn't if be nice to have an insurance policy like mobley to take care of all the backcourt scoring while he's gone with not too much fall off? or should we just leave it to eric williams?

mobley is just way too good and valuable to other teams to trade him off, WITH OTHER PEOPLE, for eastern conference role players.

as someone else said, even Clutch doesn't like this trade, and he's not starting the cuttino mobley fan club any time soon.

i'm pretty sure that was a pretty rambling post but that's most of the stuff i remembered from 12 pages of reading (oh and the fact people are so concerened boki is being thrown in and not mobley is hilarious).

13. Kingpinmaster

Kingpinmaster Member

THE ONLY TRADE THAT THE ROCKETS EVER MADE THAT WAS GOOD WAS BRINGING IN CLYDE DREXLER AND STEVE FRANCHISE. THEY MADE EVERY OTHER MISTAKES, WHICH INLCLUDED BARKLEY,PIPPEN, AND MANY MORE. HOPEFULLY THIS TRADE WITH THE CELTICS WILL NOT GO THROUGH. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE HELL TEAMS LIKE LAKERS,MINESOTTA, DALLAS,SPURS, SACRAMENTO, CAN ALL GET BETTER YEAR AFTER YEAR THROUGH TRADES, BUT WE CANNOT BECAUSE OF MAURICE TAYLOR AND KELVIN CATO'S CONTRACT? MAN LOOK AT DALLAS AND THE SPURS. THAT IS GREAT MANAGEMENT. I SWEAR WHEN I GET OUT OF COLLEGE AND MAKE LOTS OF MONEY I WILL BUY THE ROCKETS AND TURN THEM INTO A LAKERS OR CELTICS DYNASTY. I WOULD BE LIKE MARK CUBAN-HE IS AWESOME. THE ROCKETS MANAGEMENT SUCKS. C.D AND LES ALEX SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED WITH RUDY T AND HIS STAFF. THE ROCKETS MAKE ONE BAD MOVE AFTER ANOTHER. MOBLEY IS A VERY NICE AND GIFTED GUY. WHO NOT TO MENTION TOOK A LESS EXPENSIVE CONTRACT TO PLAY FOR US. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE EVERYTIME STEVE GETS COMFORTABLE WITH HIS OTHER STARTING GUARD, THEY GET TRADED. REMEMBER MICHEAL DICKERSON AND NOW MOBLEY. THIS SUCKS TO BE A ROCKETS FAN THESE DAYS. I AM GONNA START ROOTING FOR THE MAVS OR SPURS.

14. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Can't wade through a million posts.

Just want to say, if there was any truth at all to this rumor I'm scared. I'm scared that Eddie is washing out quick and we're willing to give someone Mobes to take Eddie.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

a couple of things,
    1 please do not write in caps.
    2 the trade we got rid of pippen was a good trade.
    3 Francis only played with mobley as SG (ok and anderson) dickerson was traded for Francis.

i do not believe the rockets would do this trade.this would be a stupid trade, i think somebody made this up, and it is now blown out of proportion.

16. a-rock

a-rock Member

as for dallas.... yeah, you really need great management, when the owner comes to you and says: buy me a championchip-team... money is not a concern....

okay... the swap for nowitzki was phantastic, but also have made a trade and spend big dollars on lafrentz......

stopped reading after this line....

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

For those of us who are out of town and so out of reach of the Houston area media, where does this rumor/story stand? The Chronicle email made no mention of it at all.

Is it dead-dead? Did it have legs beyond sports talk radio?

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2176356

19. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

jasper, the story about Yao hating Mobes is not something to be laughed off around here. You say it's not worth posting some worthless link, that we should take your word for it because it's "what you heard". Well, you have no cred here. No offense, but if you can't back up statements like that, then why should we believe them? Because you said so?

Oh, and we worry more about sheep around here than donkeys.