1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR: Mobley, Griffin and Nachbar to Celtics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsfan03, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No deal was ever discussed? I don't believe him. He's a liar. I don't blame him. Of course he has to say that, but he's lying. Kind of like when Les said Rudy would have been his first choice as coach if he hadn't "stepped down."

2. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

i have the answer.

this trade rumor indeed happened, but it was not only a signal to other teams in the NBA that we're ready to trade, but a concocted devious plan by Jeff Van Gundy as a wakeup call to those three players.

not ready to fit in the system or step up another level? let's see your attitude change with some trade speculation

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

who the hell is eric williams??

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Eggs-act-ly.

Discuss a trade, it isn't quite to the liking, leak the info, see what happens.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

(sigh)

Can we please have the edit function back?

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I sure hope that the information from Ch. 13 is correct.
    GATER,I was very unhappy when Glen Rice came from the Knicks even though I didn't want Shandon Anderson around either.
    But moving Mobley,Griffin and Nachbar for Williams and Battie would be far worse.

7. Timing

Timing Member

Lying is part of the game though Batman, you know that man. We don't know what's really swirling back there.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats all great and good but.....

Cat has only been back one game, and did attempt to play within the offense.

Boki has worked hard every game and is improving.

the only player not doing as he is supposed to is Eggie.

I reiterat what I sadi at the beginning of this thread....I dont like the idea, and pray it doesnt go down.

Batman,
    I kinda agree with you on that. Why admit that you were discussing trading certain players in public? It might effect the mental attitude of the players involved.
    if you knew your boss was trying to get rid of you, how hard would you work for him?

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Nice, an unconfirmed rumour started by an unknown online radio stations draws a collective knee jerking action from cc.net. Start the reg season already.

10. Absolut_RoxFan

Absolut_RoxFan Contributing Member

Maybe it's a rumor started by the Rockets to scare Griffin into shaping up. LOL.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the sentiment, but it wasn't some internet station that started this. Station 1510 on the AM dial in Boston--"the celtics radio network flagship station"--that started the rumor. The internet spread it like wildfire then 610 AM in Houston joined the fray.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for the info! Of course CD could just be blowing smoke. But I like the fact he went on "record" of dening it. Usually if something is going on they just say nothing. The fact CD is speaking out against it probably means the deal is dead...if there ever was one.

Again, not against trading Mobley, Griffin and Nachbar, but want MORE than was being offered.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm ashamed that this site's members could let a rumor like this grow into a 10 page thread. What a waste of precious server space.

14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Well, one good thing came out of this rumor....an audio link for all the out of town Rockets fans.

So when ever the Rockets play the Celtics they can listen online.

http://www.1510thezone.com/

Now I have a list of a whopping 3 links.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yah, rumors from radio stations are so full of crap, like that last one that was on that Utah station that said we'd give the Jazz Rice and picks for meech.

oh wait ...

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

99 times out of 100 these threads are crap, and as I read down the thread today shortly after it was started, I was preparing to lock it. But when I saw the radio link to the Boston sports station, I tuned in. They were in fact reporting it.

What I found strange though was how many times they misrepresented it. One time, it was "close to done" and should be done tonight. Later they would say it was a rumor from a source. One listener emailed in to the station to complain that if the deal didn't get done he would "shoot himself" because they reported it as a deal. The two radio guys laughed it off, saying they always said it was a "possible rumor".

But then their newsflash every half-hour would come on, sort of like the AP facts wire or something, and it would report the deal as fact and that it could be done tonight.

I still haven't heard anything that made me think I needed to post it on the site, but I think there may be too much there to think it's false.

JVG may think Tony Battie is his next Kurt Thomas, or maybe they're just trying to eliminate any personnel who give off that this is anything but Yao and Steve's team, but this deal is craziness.

We came in to this season with three legitimate chips at the dealing table. Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin and the $9 million expiring contract of Glen Rice.

If someone told me at the start of the year that all the Rockets could get for ALL THREE of those guys would be John Amaechi, Eric Williams and Tony Battie, AND you would be the one having to throw in TWO first-round picks just to get it done, I would have laughed (or cried).

You have to be dumb as dirt to make this deal. I'm fine with dealing all those guys, but not for this bag of stiffs.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd be disappointed if this trade went down. Cat should get value or we should keep him. He'd have to draw good value for me to be okay with his 20 points plus his every-single-play hustle and sweetheart contract (albeit countered by often boneheaded decisions) going to another team. I'd like to see what Van Gundy can do with him first. If he can get him to play smarter he'll be worth more by the deadline anyway.

But you better believe CD's lying when he says he's not talking to the Celtics. He's talking to them and approximately 27 other teams to find out who'll take Griffin off our hands. And, thanks to Eddie, he doesn't have a lot of bargaining power.

Of course he has to lie about it. He can't count on finishing a deal before the season starts and he's gotta count on those other guys we'll need to sweeten any deal so some team'll take Griffin. And I'm pretty sure he remembers how it went down with Elie so when stuff gets out we'll hear the same answer every time. And many of those times it'll be a lie.

Anyway, I'm glad this particular deal looks dead. I hope it lights a fire under some other teams to up the offer. If we're gonna do this thing we oughtta do a hell of a lot better than this.

18. tozai

tozai Member

Bobliu- I guess you haven't watched much basketball, because Cat is easily a top 15 SG and could even be argued top 10. To point out his height without watching him play the last few years is stupid/hilarious.

Cat is not just decent. He's damn good. Saying, oh but he's the 3rd best player on a non-playoff team is like saying Michael Finley sucks because he has Nash and Nowitzki on his team. Or maybe Karl Malone sucks because of Payton, Shaq, and Kobe. I know those are different circumstances, but Steve and Yao are really good, and Cat is one step under being a star. If he was put in a role similar to Rip Hamilton, he'd be getting more love. He's just as good if not better.

I've seen Boston play a bunch. Eric Williams is a mediocre role player. Just like Eddie, but Eddie has more potential. Battie is a good role player in the East. His jumper is okay, but he got lots of his points on dunks, putback, etc. He's a worse version of Kenny Thomas, but with LESS offensive skill.

I think comparing this to Rice for Anderson is a reach. Rice was injury prone, you all pointed that out. Wow. We are talking about skill and potential here, not injuries. If Rice was healthy, I'm sure most would have preferred Rice over Anderson.

This trade is dumb unless JVG has some reason to believe Cat is not going to buy into the system at all. I find that hard to believe. Even if that's the case, the trade is still a ripoff.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So when are we going to get an Eddie Griffin flame out song? I loved the Jose Lima song. :D

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Clutch, do you or Doc Rocket still have any access to news? Or is that all gone with the regime change?