1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The media?

Wut?

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm confused at the endgame of a Houston/Charlotte trade in your POV. Are you suggesting that the Hornets trade for Dipo to salvage their season and try to make the playoffs because LeMelo's out or are you suggesting they trade for Dipo to punt the season because LaMelo's out? At first I thought it was the former but now I'm not sure. If Charlotte decides that trading away 3 rotation players AND a 1st (as you originally proposed) for 2 months of Dipo and a scrub TBD then I'll gladly pay for a year's membership on here for you. I'm just not seeing the logistics in trading some players you really need for a guy that requires 20 shots a night to put up 25 points when you have Gordon Hayward and Terry Rozier already on the roster.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The rumor was Gary Harris for Dipo and we get a first. Harris averages 9.7 points a game. Monk 12. If one brings us a first, then the other should as well.

4. steddinotayto

Said rumor was also debunked by Clutch

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

D-rock likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wonder if Caris LeVert or Jarrett Allen would have commanded more in trade than Oladipo. Seems interest in Oladipo is so low that it is hard to imagine they wouldn't.

D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Capela was the last guy we drafted that contributed as a starter. Don't play with semantics, Morey put little to no value in drafting and developing talent. I don't care what happened a decade ago. I care what the new regime will do to draft and develop talent.

Aruba77 likes this.
  7. rockets13champs

Lakers shopping KCP. I feel like they’re a sleeper Vic team

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly, rumors can't always be trusted.

Me throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks or you trying to clean up the mess everytime someone speaks about a rumor....who looks more foolish?

Report me if you think I've done something wrong

D-rock likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Capela was the last time we actually picked in the 1st round.

We also drafted Melton who has become a rotational player.

Son they have been able to identify talent through the draft and morey is longer here so why are you judging anything that Morey did?

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

TPE are only dueled for team who don’t fear the Luxtury taxes. They’re essentially useless under Tilman. If the Lakers had a 10 million TPE no way it would expire.

GSW had a 17 million TPE and used it to acquire Kelly Oubre.

We just get cursed with cheap ownership.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I will believe it when I see it. Windhorst is a rockets hater.

BigggReddd, D-rock, Amel and 2 others like this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

What an arrogant sack of ****.

Holy **** that dude is just so happy to talk badly about anyone on this team.

He was filled with glee when talking badly about Oladipo.

D-rock, joshuaao, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  14. steddinotayto

You're right--I've been looking foolish all this time trying to make sense of the crap you've thrown at the wall. I usually avoid doing that in the Random trade thread but I guess I'll have to do that here too. Have a great day.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I read (hear) him just being indignant at the idea that Vic's trade value comes close to Lowry's. I don't think anything about his tone was to dunk on the Rockets. Honestly guys the national media doesn't care about the Rockets one way or the other.

D-rock and ashleyem like this.
  17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Inside the Oladipo trade talks (The Athletic)

Victor Oladipo
    ’s arrival in Houston a little over two months ago directly aligned with Stephen Silas’ vision for his team. Oladipo’s versatility was a sticking point in the decision to acquire him in the four-way deal that sent James Harden to Brooklyn, sources say, as well as a sign Silas was trusted as the man to guide the Rockets’ present and future.

Although Oladipo isn’t a scorer of Harden’s caliber, Silas had long been a fan of the guard’s ability to score at all three levels, operate with and without the ball in his hands and, more importantly, his defensive savvy. The first few games paired with John Wall in the backcourt showed just how deadly that combination could be at disrupting opposing offenses.

Then reality set in. A barrage of injuries to an already-depleted roster saw Houston amass a franchise-record 20-game losing streak, one they finally snapped Monday. The playoffs are out of reach, and Silas’ plans to mold the next great Rockets team have been derailed for at least this season. With 48 hours to go until the NBA trade deadline, Houston must be willing to engage in trade discussions over any player on its roster. P.J. Tucker was the first name to go, shipped to Milwaukee last week.

Oladipo could be next. The two-time All-Star is in the final season of his four-year, $85 million contract, and sources tell The Athletic that Houston has discussed the 28-year-old with multiple teams. Our Shams Charania reported Monday that Houston’s asking price is to be a good young player or a first-round pick. Charania added that Miami, New York and Detroit are among teams interested in trading for Oladipo.

The allure is obvious. Even though he’s still not 100 percent physically despite being more than a year removed from a ruptured quad, Oladipo remains a ceiling-raiser. He’s started all 20 games he’s played in Houston and has averaged 21.2 points, which is why teams like the Knicks and Heat — two middle-of-the-pack franchises that could use a midseason boost — have inquired.

At this stage of his career, however, he’s no longer a difference-maker. It’s unrealistic to expect him to carry an offense the way he once did in Indiana, though that hasn’t stopped Houston from trying. In his 20 games, Oladipo has posted the highest usage rate of his career, touching the ball on a whopping 31.6 percent of possessions per Cleaning the Glass. For a quick comparison, his most similar workload was during the 2017-18 season, when he posted a usage rate of 31.0. That season, Oladipo scored 115.9 points per 100 possessions, good for the 84th percentile in the NBA. This season, it’s 101.9 — the 19th percentile.

As a result, his value, according to multiple sources around the league, is currently not commensurate with his pedigree. His greatest value source of trade value might not concern this season.

“Vic’s health is still a lingering question, but someone may want his Bird rights,” one Eastern Conference executive said Sunday.

The logic is there: Though diminished, Oladipo remains a player worth investing in as a part of a team’s core. If a team believes he could still regain more health over time, acquiring now could represent a long-term discount if he returns to his previous All-Star form.

But that team almost certainly would have to pay him big money in advance. As an eight-year veteran after the end of the 2020-21 season, he will be eligible for a four-year deal elsewhere for up to 30 percent of a team’s salary cap, or five years if he re-signs with the team he ends the season on.

Earlier this season, Oladipo turned down a two-year, $45.2 million extension offer from Houston. The Rockets were likely willing to make the offer so that Oladipo would then complete his 10th year in the league at the end of the contract, allowing him to seek up to 35 percent of the cap in a subsequent deal.

Oladipo dismissed the offer and his rejection of it was just a little formality when discussing it with reporters last month.

“I didn’t get a chance to say yes or no,” he said. “They already were under the understanding, or they knew I wasn’t going to accept it anyway. It’s business. That’s how this business works. I’m just focused on getting better. I’ve got to get minutes. Everything else will take care of itself.”

That rejection paved the way for trade inquiries. Oladipo has long been believed to be interested in the Heat – he conducted his rehab from the quad injury in Miami – and the Heat’s medical staff has one of the best reputations in the league for extending the careers of once-injured players. The Heat could offer a young player like Duncan Robinson to Houston as a centerpiece, but Miami’s multiple trades over the last few years leave it unable to offer a first-round pick in potential deals before the 2025 draft.

Meanwhile, The Ringer reported Sunday that the Rockets have talked Oladipo with Orlando, the team which selected him with the second overall pick in 2013. But he would likely be re-routed to a third team through the Magic.

One of the interesting challenges for the Rockets in any trade is they actually do not have much wiggle room under the luxury tax after taking on some salary in the Tucker trade. If a deal adds more than about $2.4 million to their books, Houston goes over the threshold, which requires them to both pay the tax and not receive a share of the tax money other teams pay. That seems untenable for a lottery team. Of course, general manager Rafael Stone could include additional players in the trade or make a separate move to take on extra salary in an Oladipo deal to avoid paying the tax.

Another consideration is whether Stone is interested in repeating an element of the Tucker trade by taking on contracts that run beyond this season. As of now, Houston could open up as much as $17 million by letting their free agents go and renouncing their $10.7 million trade exception from the Harden deal, but that drops dramatically if the Rockets retain their top-four protected first-round pick. Fifteen-plus million opens up some avenues to add talent, but anything under that would be much less useful. So taking on a multi-season salary for a stronger asset return makes more sense.

One thing is clear: Oladipo’s injury history has created an uncertainty that makes the potential market for him hazy at best.

“I think they (the Rockets) will be selling very low on this, and possibly lower than anyone can imagine right now,” said another executive last week who is not involved in trade talks for him.

How low?

“Low enough that someone who has little chance of keeping him may not care and would take a flier on him with no promises of retaining him,” the executive said. “So the market is wider than people think because the value is lower than people anticipated.”

None of the other obvious players the Rockets could move by Thursday – most notably guards Sterling Brown and Ben McLemore, or forward Danuel House – generate much trade interest around the league. Of the three, House has the most interest, sources say. Interest in McLemore has cooled recently. If Houston isn’t able to move McLemore before Thursday’s deadline, there’s also a possibility he’s waived.

“House could have a little market (as a) 3 & D type player,” another executive said. “Sterling Brown is more of a ‘filler’ in deals than a targeted player to trade for.”

The other big domino to track on the Rockets is Eric Gordon. While the 32-year old is currently out due to a strained groin, it sounds like he will be ready for the postseason, so perhaps a team with a firm playoff position could still be interested. Gordon will make $18.2 million next season and $19.6 million in 2022-23 before a non-guaranteed final season, which is a lot, but he still could be a meaningful upgrade in a guard rotation. There just are not many available players who could credibly be in a talented team’s closing five. Moving Gordon presumably opens up spending power for Houston either this offseason or in 2022 when Christian Wood is still under contract and Wall is in his final season.

Ultimately, though, Oladipo will be the most talked-about name on Houston’s roster leading into Thursday, whether or not the proposed returns meet expectations. Selling low isn’t part of the plan, although that might represent the most fitting ending if it comes to pass: another unexpected, disappointing outcome in a season full of them.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

They made a bet on Vic and lost. It's fine, not too damaging in the long run. LeVert is probably worth a good 1st (assuming good health) so it's not like their decision is going to ruin the future of the franchise.

Just comes down to Vic not being able to shoot the first month + he was here. He has been really good in March and still has value. My guess is he gets moved Thursday for a lotto protected 1 or a young player on a rookie deal.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I mean does anyone here have anything positive to say about Oladipo? I don't think that they do.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah Wob is nuts if he thinks Dipo is better than or as valuable as Lowry.