1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I think a team that needs to just make a splash could take him on. The Bulls could get him for Satoranski and OPJ.

Rockets4Life13, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love to but will Bulls feel same?

Rockets4Life13 and jch1911 like this.
  3. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Yea I agree to all of that but the marquee player coming back from Miami in that hypothetical is herro. The lack of draft picks held Miami back in a harden deal. That said it’s very different throwing herro into a deal for James harden and then doing it for dipo.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@D-rock

more smoke.

it's looking interesting.

https://theathletic.com/2467257/202...on-gordon-and-more-intel-from-around-the-nba/

everyday eddie, BamBam and D-rock like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think keeping Herro for that all star caliber player is required for them so, i guess they would try to get Lowry with their minor assets, Nunn, Okpala, probably Duncan Robinson as the main piece making it look like he's a piece they don't want to trade because he's so good bla bla...

6. mightybosstone

BamBam, D-rock and ilias like this.
  7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yeah, I’d be fine with using a pick from Oladipo and including that, not giving him up and two picks.

8. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Heat aren't moving Herro for Lowry, but Lowry is the best guard available because he fits pretty much everywhere easier then Dipo so, i can see him being a bit overvalued now. And wouldn't be shocked if the fact that he's expiring makes him even more valuable then Dipo, cause who gets Lowry can probably resign him to a good contract, who gets Dipo likely will have to beat other offers in free agency ending up overpaying him.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I need someone to sell me on why Aaron Gordon is a franchise altering cornerstone. I mean he's a nice young player, but is there something there I haven't seen as a fairly plugged in NBA fan, but not a Orlando Magic superfan?

We need to be priming the pump to get another young James Harden, and in the meantime pulling in as many young players on rookie contracts as we can in the hopes that some surprises can happen, and either we find a franchise cornerstone, or package good young cheap players for a cornerstone.

So why are we wanting to mess around with treating Aaron Gordon like he's the next Harden? Sorry I just don't get the intrigue unless they can extend him on a super team friendly deal that makes him a great trade asset or something.

Like what are we trying to do here?

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The question you have to consider in all of these rumors is, what are the teams willing to give up? If it's the celtics, the magic don't want marcus smart, I can't imagine. So who is it? Robert williams who averages 7.5 ppg? So you don't have much by way of valuable players the Celtics are actually going to want to part with. In lieu of that, you go the picks route. But next seasons celtics pick is no good, so you'd want future picks, and given the weak return on players, you'd be asking for more. Most likely three FRPs or two and a swap, plus smart and langford or williams. That would be my price. And that's a high price to pay, and I don't think boston will pay it.

I'd say the same thing with other teams. Is GSW willing to trade Wiseman? And picks? I doubt it. But if I'm orlando I don't want anyone else. Poole is okay but he's not enough of a return for my most coveted player. And the minny pick is also not enough, although I'd have to have that in the package. GSW would probably part with that pick but not much else of value from a player perspective.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, hard to imagine the Bulls would take Wall when they have Coby White, but they're already ****ing with his development by playing him with LaVine and they recently benched him (with Wendell Carter whio is another potentially good target for a lot of teams, he reminds me of a young Horford), but the Bulls are dumb as **** so, you never know, they're the same team that traded prime Taj Gibson, McDermott and an early 2nd rounder for Cameron Payne.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Aaron Gordon has requested a trade

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  14. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

joshuaao, D-rock, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  15. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Yea i dont get the fascination with Aaron Gordon either.

He's not a defender
    He's not a shooter
    He's not a shot creator
    Most importantly he's not young young.

I see him as a (very) poor man's Blake Griffin.
    Gordon's teamate Johnathan Isaac is more interesting. He's a multi talented big with great length + mobility and fits our development timeline.

Amel and clutchdabear like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Healty Gordon is pretty much a perfect fit with Wood, athletich and dynamic 4 that can guard 4 positions, can pass, shoot and create a bit...the problems are he exploded two years ago, had a great season but after that he has been going downhill, played worse and worse (not sure if/how much Isaac's presence messed up with him), got injured 24/7...and on top of that he's going to be a free agent in a year.

Overall i always liked him and would probably still take a flyer on him, but only for cheap, as today he comes with a lot of questions and risks so, even as someone who likes him, i definitely wouldn't move something like two 1st rounders for him.

#1376 Vivi, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  17. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Actually Gordon apparently is only 25. Why do i feel like he's been in the league forever?

jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I think the most likely way is to send Dipo to third team with a first back. I would probably be fine with that. But I’m not sure AG is the guy you want on a rebuilding Rockets. Unless the rebuilding philosophy is to scrap together role players first...

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think everyone is underrating AG. He’s only 25 and has been stuck in Orlando his whole career. Wherever he winds up, he’s going to be a borderline allstar.

his age and game lines up with Wood perfectly.

If the Rockets get a top 4 pick, the rebuild would essentially be over with KPJ/Gordon/Wood and the pick. The Rockets have too many picks now and need to cash out if they can. More than 2 picks in a year is redundancy. Only so many roster spots.

20. psaman17

psaman17 Member

This is gonna sound weird but in the modern NBA, Gordon should be a 5.
    6'8 with his strength is more than good enough to play the 5. Thats where he'll get the most mileage from.

Small Forward and Power Forward are the same position now. The most ideal type of 4s now are Ariza, Covington, Paul George, Durant, etc. Basically wings with consistent 3 point ability and super long wingspan. They are the ones that need to cover alot of grounds both inside and out. 4s need to be able to guard the perimeter with mobility and defend the paint with their wingspan. Its a very tough position to fill.