1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'd want Lowry over Oladipo too lol. Having said that, I don't think this guy has a clue what the actual going price is for Lowry (most fans drastically underestimate the trade market for players. We've seen this with other teams fans talking about Harden and PJ already). Anyone who thinks the Raptors will do Lowry for Herro and Robinson is kidding themselves. Chances are they can get better deals from multiple teams around the league, and Philly is rumored to have an interest. With Philly, you have to think they're willing to part with Thybulle, Maxey, Danny Green + Scott (to make the salaries work) + 1-2 first round picks (most likely in the future because this seasons FR is not going to be of interest).

Understanding the price, what is Miami going to give up? To even get in the discussion, you'd have to think Achiuwa, Herro, and then Olynyk + Ariza for salary matching, + 1-2 future FRPs and a swap or two, because Thybulle + Maxey are probably more attractive to the Raptors right now than Achiuwa and Herro.

For Miami, the big loss in a Lowry deal will be two young players and future assets for a 34 yo PG (35 in a few days) who will maybe last another season or two before he's looking at retirement. And to be honest, does the current Heat team have the firepower to beat the Nets even with Lowry? I don't think so.

Oladipo, by comparison, is 28. He wants to be in Miami and if re-signed will play there for 5+ years. In a long term deal he will cost less than Lowry annually (Lowry will also have to be re-signed in the offseason as he'll be a UFA, most likely commanding a very high price), and it stands to reason that next season Oladipo will play better than he is right now, though even now he's starting to show more consistency on the court as a shooter and playmaker. You'd also have to think he'd do better when he's not surrounded by g leaguers. And for all his faults, Oladipo has been great on defense.

Getting Oladipo will require maybe Herro, Iggy for salary match, and 2nd rounder, though we'd try to squeeze out a mildly protected first rounder is my guess (top-10 or top-15 but then going to top-10 if it doesnt convey type of deal). Herro had a Cinderella bubble playoff, but has been a bad fit this season. He's not playing well, and right now they're at the brink.

In any event, that's just my analysis. In theory, they could probably get both if they want. But the idea that Lowry is this easy pursuit is a joke.

BamBam, raining threes and treyk3 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Heat have no draft assets.

Lowry is pipe dream.

76ers have more ammo to make that trade happen, IF Raptors want to maximize the return on trade.

If goal is to make Lowry happy and Heat are his choice, then TOR will take their pupu platter.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Ah ok, you would know more than I, so I will take your word on him.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Knew the Lakers would have injury issues eventually. If it was last year instead of this one the Rockets could have won it all.

****ing team is cursed since Tilman bought it.

BigShasta, Patience and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

And FYI - Lakers are without AD and Gasol but still let Jones go.

Lakers are desperate for a 5 right now.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

And the Rockets led by Harden just owned the Jazz.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Anyone else thinks Lowry has become a bit overrated? In what world is a soon-to-be 35 year old free agent worth giving up Herro?

Lowry has generated more buzz around the league than Oladipo, who gives you 20/5/5 with solid D.

D-rock likes this.
  8. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Man Thursday can't come fast enough. Excited to see changes. Hopefully vets get moved so young guys can develop. I am really setting myself up for a hard fall.

D-rock, fattz, Mr Woods and 3 others like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wins and losses affect perception and value.

Raptors with Lowry are much better performers than Rockets with Dipo.

Mr Woods likes this.
  10. Boston84

Boston84 Member

If the raptors decide to trade Lowry, Lowry is going to have a say where he goes. They have a great relationship and the raptors won’t just send him anywhere so it’s only Miami or Philly. I’m assuming Lowry will be able to have a say as long as the deals are close enough and if the ringer article is accurate Miami is his preferred spot.

D-rock, joshuaao, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Duncan robinson will be moved way before herro. He’s a restricted free agent and some team is gonna throw a large deal at him that I don’t think Miami matches. I’d be shocked if Miami moves herro at all. Really surprised. Herro was the main prize in a harden trade and now they are gonna trade him for oladipo who they can sign in the offseason? Or Lowry whose 35? Ain’t happening unless one of these other teams throws some crazy picks to entice them

Vivi, D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  12. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Valid point!

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No one who is worth a trade wants to come to a tanking team. So if no picks, no deal.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol what? Last years team had no chance of winning it all. Westbrook was trash in the playoffs.

coachbadlee likes this.
  15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

For what it is worth, if we could get that pick for Wood/ Oladipo (ie for Wiggins/ Wiseman and the pick), I would be all over it.
    Be bad while we ride out Wiggins deal - and bench/dump Wall to let KPJ/ Wiseman/ 2021 and 2022 potential top 5 picks grow together

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think the Rockets ever cared for Miami in a Harden deal, because even with Herro they did not have enough to give.

Contrary to reports, Miami would have sent Herro in a nano-second for James. Damage control.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

If Dipo and Gordon are traded by Thursday I’ll write this season as a success.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just make this happen already!

Magic Nation ready to welcome Dipo back home.

#1358 D-rock, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  19. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I don't see any team trading for EGO this deadline. Dipo will go.
    The real success would be figuring a way outta Wall.

jch1911, RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only way to raise Wall's value is to win.

And that doesnt happen until next season.

MAYBE.

#1360 D-rock, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    18pbr likes this.