1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea I did, I don't anticipate hearing anything this time around sadly.

From reading the tea leaves I expect Miami and Houston to come to an agreement eventually. I think Miami is holding out big time and these other teams being linked to Dipo will pressure them into giving up something of value whether that's Herro or someone else the Rockets like a lot. The guys from 5 on the Floor are really good on Miami Heat information.

https://twitter.com/5OTF_

Mr Woods and RudyTBag like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Thanks sir. I think House/Brown/Dipo all would really fit Miami well.

Herro+Olynk works for me. As would Achiuwa and a future first.

joshuaao and treyk3 like this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I guess it's just that the higher projected prospects are more scouted and thus have a lower bust potential. At the same time though, I see your logic in why a team like us starting from scratch would want more shots at a decent player but for me personally I'd just rather have a better shot at a better player. That's Kawhi, DBook, Giannis range. I just don't want to end up like the Celtics who kept refusing to trade up and ended up drafting Nesmith, Pritchard, Ojeleye, Wanamaker, Langford, Edwards, Grant Williams, etc all in the first round. I'm sure they'd fuse all those guys into one guy if they could.

DonKnock and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I have 2 trades I'm happy with.

1. Herro + Olynyk or Iggy
    2. Robinson, KZ and Iggy.

They don't really have firsts to throw at the Rockets.

I think they will eventually cave but right now my understanding is it's basically Nunn, KZ and Kelly. If they trade for Oladipo it's likely with Kelly and that means they got a commitment from LMA. In a trade for Oladipo they are also trading for the ability to give LMA real minutes. I hope Stone has caught wind of this.

Nook likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Herro is 21 years old. I don’t care where he is right now relative to Oladipo...we aren’t trying to win.

It is too early to say what Herro, KPJ or Wood will be on defense. Either way, that can be addressed later.

treyk3 likes this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Herro's youth is a huge factor regardless. It's something that cannot be understated. His youth won't help the Heat win a championship in 2021 but it might be a piece who can help the Rockets build a team that could compete for one by 2024.

He's a cost controlled asset. If he doesn't pan out then he doesn't pan out. Oladipo we have a 20 or so games left with. If they can get Herro, they will do it.

IvanLCPM, joshuaao, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

So we want three young 20 year olds (Porter, Herro, hopefully Cade) trying to peak and get paid at the same time?

Herro is a luxury, even if I thought he was worth Dipo in a trade.

Rockets need size, length, defense around Porter AND Wood, moreso than another sub 20 PPG scorer.

Just my 2 cents.

Now if we're talking about MPJ, then even I can admit he is worth trading Dipo even if MPJ is also lacking on defense.

Because he is longer, bigger, more athletic, plays position of need and is much better 3P shooter than Herro (42% vs. 33% - MUCH MUCH better).

And MPJ actually has defensive upside. Herro does not.

#1087 D-rock, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    18pbr likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

No thanks to the Heat and their shetty 3ball shooting players.

Rockets need to get better at 3ball, not worse.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is about asset accumulation and not winning games. Herro is a perceived top asset. You get that in this trade if you can and you move on. Figure out if he is a fit or not but he's a great asset and he helps the tank.

This is like when they traded Lowry for the Raptors pick.

If Herro pans out awesome. If not? Someone will still think he's a star prospect in a year. Trade him.

IvanLCPM and joshuaao like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only way I take Herro and his lousy 3ball and no defense ace is if I can move him to 3rd team for young player/FRP.

Asset accumulation and playing goes hand in hand, you cannot do one and ignore the other.

That will get both Stone AND Silas fired.

TF is not the most patient owner.

11. Rockets4Life13

Yeah it's a legitimate thought, I've done some "research" on it (basically just looking through the last 10 drafts) and it turns out late lottery seems even more promising than 5-8 range, lol.

Some pretty good players in that 10-14 territory in the last 10 years

lakersuck2 likes this.
  12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yep. Nobody should be thinking about our holes right now. They don’t matter.

Right now we are building for potential, not perfection.

RudyTBag and treyk3 like this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

MPJ is on another level compared to Herro. If we can get MPJ I'd be down to trade just about everything other than KPJ. Even Wood (*crying inside, because i really like Wood).

fattz likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

The smart teams build or rebuild through defense.

Rockets already have 2 young offense oriented players as their core.

If they luck into top 4 pick, they will draft another offensive player in Cade or Green.

Stone needs to trade for 2 way starters.

Stone understands this even if CF does not.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

You can do both without making willy nilly choices.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Herro would be a marquee name based on bubble hype.

Herro is a fan favorite in Miami and would be a jersey seller here.

Tilman would absolutely love having Herro here.

If the Rockets can get Herro in an Oladipo trade Herro will be a Rocket. Otherwise, he was never on the table. I'm absolutely positive.

How do you garner interest when your team isn't very good? How about a young kid with a rap song named after him (not Mo Bamba, dreamer).

IvanLCPM and joshuaao like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

When the offer on the table is Nunn and Olynyk, you can't really say much more than that.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Man. Oladipo needs to come out tonight and drop a 40 point bomb to tell these other teams to put some damn respect on his name.

Like really? I’d feel disrespected if Olynyk and Nunn, or just two second rounders is all I’m traded for after being a walking 25/5/5 + elite perimeter defense.

D-rock likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

If that happens, props on drafting well. You choose the two best players/fits and trade the third guy. Hopefully you choose better than Presti did. Or you don't pay serge ibaka.

#1100 sydmill, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021