1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be super bummed to see Jae'Sean Tate traded.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Disagree. I’ll be very upset if they trade Wood, Tate, or KPJ. Everyone else is fair game.

3. kiwirocketsfan

Here is my take on the team we currently have, I keep hearing fire-sale and I'd be pretty happy if the post trade deadline team was the 3 essential guys and a bunch of G-Leageurs/minimum contracts.

Proactively move

Victor Oladipo
    Eric Gordon
    P.J. Tucker
    John Wall
    Ben McLemore

Expendable

Sterling Brown
    Dante Exum
    Danuel House Jr.
    Rodions Kurucs
    David Nwaba
    Kenyon Martin Jr
    Justin Patton

Essential
    Jae'Sean Tate
    Christian Wood
    Kevin Porter Jr.

4. kiwirocketsfan

Freaky that you wrote this while I was drafting my post with those same 3 guys as the only essentials.

5. raining threes

So 20 year olds cant improve?

I'm not going to change your mind.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Obviously not.

Rockets just cut Mason Jones.

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maybe Herro is fool's gold, but maybe it's injuries and soph slump.
    I like AG and Herro on board with picks to shoot for relevancy and beyond in 2023. That or some semblance of that would make the rebuild pain worth it.
    AG will require a 3rd team, because I don't see ORL wanting what we want to give up.
    Miami has a window with Butler and that's the play, but Riley is no fool and will likely be too stubborn to buy high and sell low, unless he thinks it will truly make a difference.

The trades may come out of left field and not be anything we're imagining.
    I mean who saw KPJ coming our way?
    Stone looks for opportunities that aren't necessarily what we as fans would expect.
    One reason I don't really play the trade game much, because I just don't see the level of info that a GM and his staff see.

DonKnock, D-rock, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  8. raining threes

I dont understand that move.

If you need a roster spot cut Kurucs.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

So that was a PJ for Herro ask. Maybe Stone will get him for Dipo.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

A bit embarrassing to put Jones and Herro in the same sentence isn't it?

One guy played NBA finals last year
    The other is an undrafted rookie who shot 28% from the field and 16% from 3 since Feb 1st...

Why are we shocked Jones got cut? He is slow and can't get his shot or create for others. See what he has got i the Gleague for a bit

sydmill likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kurucs is a young player too.

Maybe Silas and Stone see something in the way he spazzes out at end of games.

Verbal Christ and raining threes like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not embarrassed at all.

Mason Jones was a stud in school and was burning it up to the point he was shooting 58% from 3 at one point.

Herro had a great streak in the playoffs but what is the diff between his streak and Jones?

Herro was on much better team and Herro was empowered.

Athletically, there is not a great difference between Mase and Herro, especially on defense.

13. ClutchCity9495

I think you should hold on to Martin, he is very gifted athletically. He is our true project that should get better and needs to work on his shot. He is a contributor on this team as a really solid role player. Remember you need to be able to fill out a roster, Martin reasonable contract. I agree on the other 3 for sure. I would just add Martin. Patton had some draft pedigree, not bad role player, but think he is just another guy to be honest. Sterling Brown actually been solid and shooting well.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We already have a roster spot. We didn’t have a two-way spot.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Two way contracts in the past were 45 days with NBA teams and up to 45 days with G-league team. Well this year two way players
    were allowed to by with NBA team 50 days before their contracts have to be converted to a true NBA contract or cut.

I counted 50 days with Rockets and no G-league stats (so did he go to G-league any days?). Anyway G-league season is ending as they
    go to playoffs. This means Anthony Lamb needed a new home as Mason two way deal was expiring or expired.

Rockets kinda went through that with D House the first go-around.....but it was 45-days span of time back then. Why take up a roster spot if the Rockets are going to re-shuffle the deck and turn over players and bring others in. Can't afford one player blocking a deal because we lacked a roster spot......cut Mason again right after getting a deal.

#275 ApacheWarrior, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    D-rock and raining threes like this.
  16. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Was really hoping we’d make at least one move over this last week just to truly show us they’re doing the right thing and rebuilding (I know doing a move without doing everything we can to make sure we get the best return is bad, but god it’s stressing me out not knowing we will do a full rebuild)

D-rock likes this.
  17. riko

riko Member

Jacke Fischer of bleacher report has Tucker possibly going to the Nets for Dinwiddie. That would be a steal for the Rockets . Obviously to make the salaries work the Rockets have to add another player making 4 plus million.

#277 riko, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Man, you went from PLEASE trade PJ for a second rounder to trade PJ for Spencer Dinwiddie who would never play a game for the Rockets. We don't want second round picks unless it's a top 5 one and we don't want Mr. NFT's salary coming off the books.

You're a Rockets fan and not a Harden only fan, so here are two guys we need to trade PJ for and it's not to Brooklyn or to Philadelphia as neither of those teams have assets they would willingly give up (Brown or Thybulle aren't walking through this door). I think guys like Kevin Knox or Frank Ntilkina with a second round pick are probably more likely but here's what I want.

I want KZ Okpala and Bol Bol.

I chose these videos because I like the highlight packages that show their faults and their strengths. Neither of these guys are finished products and neither are blue chip prospects but they both have a chance to be in the NBA for years to come if they put it together. We need to take look at guys like them.

Trade #1: PJ to Miami for KZ Okpala and Maurice Harkless (for salary)

KZ is completely out of the rotation except random games that feel almost like showcases. He does a lot of the same stuff that PJ does and doesn't put up big numbers but I see him as a RoCo type long term. Only 21 and would be the best case scenario in a realistic trade where the Rockets aren't getting some guy just drafted in the first.

Trade #2: PJ to Denver for Bol Bol and a Second Round pick.

This is an easy trade to make with Denver's TPE. Bol Bol like Okpala only plays occasionally but unlike KZ, he has star potential. He is maybe the biggest boom or bust prospect I can remember. It's more likely he's out of the league within 4 years but the 5% of him putting it all together is worth taking a flier especially from a team like Denver that doesn't have time to waste developing a guy like him.

(Hyrbid: my preferred method where we get both)

PJ to Miami
    Harkless and House to Denver
    Bol Bol, KZ Okpala and a SRP (from Denver) to Houston

If the Rockets make either of these two realistic moves, they get a flier

Shark44 likes this.
  19. riko

riko Member

Hence I said a steal. If the Nets are silly enough to do that then Stone needs to be doing it. Plus you can keep dinwiddie in the offseason . You will have his bird rights and you can pair him and Wall up for next season.

Also cut the labels out. You are not the judge and jury of who is a real fan

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I said you're not a harden only fan! You are rooting for bad trades if you want a SRP or Dinwiddie.

It's not a steal at all. You're acting like a partial ACL tear is a minor injury. He's either an expiring albatross or a guy who gets healthy and will want a big contract.