1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Luther Head and #8 pick for #6 pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Wait sorry that was rocket dynasty not you me bad!

2. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Made a mistake that was rocket dynasty who said that! Sorry!

3. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Umm if we do this trade it better not be for roy because in all likely hood he will be gone it better be because we want morrison or gay the 2 most likely slippers!

4. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

I agree if we could get brewer to replace the bench spot Luther leaves then by all means but i would rather trade swift see if we can get higher than 6 take gay and use him as our shawn marion at the pf!

5. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i am so happy that we have a shot at roy. :D

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thats a joke...seriously.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Redick doesn't have to have a guarantee to know he's going to fall somewhere between 8 and 14. All he has to have is enough teams in that range to tell him he is ranked between 8-10 on their individual board and it almost assures him of being picked there.

You Redick haters need to understand something. The kid is going to get drafted and he is going to get picked between 8 and 15. The only way it does't happen is if he becomes a paraplegic before the draft.

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

So why trade him to move up 2 spots. There is a guy named Brewer that we can get with the 8th that may turn out to be just as good as Roy, and we can keep Luther for much needed depth. It seems to me like New Orleans would do a trade of Luther for JR Smith cause they just want to get rid of him and would welcome a young, hardworking player in return. Those are the types of trades that you trade him for, not just to move up 2 spots in the draft for unknown players. Look, he was a rookie last year and he will continue to improve steadily. I am pretty sure everyone besides the Rockets brass knows and knew that Moochie Norris was a borderline NBA player at that time. The only reason he was a fan favorite is because he is funny and he had a fro. Now he can't even dribble past anyone at Lifetime Fitness in Katy. Luther Head has twice as much talent as Moochie will ever have.

What I am writing now has nothing to do with the above quote. I am not sure why so many people think he has reached his "ceiling". That is horrible logic. Also, to say that he is a bad shooter when he shot way more shots than any rookie probably in the past two years and has a better % than any of them is ridiculous. Someone in another reply mentioned how bad of a defender he is. I have never seen a rookie PG/SG/SF enter this league and be a dominate defender or even an above average one in their rookie year, it takes a lot of time to develop into a solid defender. Since everyone is all over Devin Harris's nuts right now I will use him as an example as someone who imrproved quite a bit in his second year. I think Luther will improve just as much if given the time. I would probably be for this trade if it weren't for Brewer but I think he will provide many of the things that Roy will

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Brewer's offensive game isn't close to being as refined as Roy. And that's exactly what JVG wants out of the draft - a refined player that can fill our holes.

From BBB.net:

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Because he could very well turn out to be not as good at Roy. Roy is probably the most can't miss prospect in this draft. He's polished, can bring it on both ends of the court, and can create for both himself and others. Roy's downside is straight up better than Brewer + Luther's downside, IMO. That is why I would do this deal.

11. compucomp

compucomp Member

If this trade is going to happen, it will happen on draft day, with Minnesota on the clock and Roy on the board. It won't happen before then, and if Roy is off the board the trade is obviously off.

12. stq

stq Member

I agree.

ROY is probably better than Brewer, but I don't think he is better than Brewer + Head.

This team needs depth! and you don't trade away one of your youngest players just to move up 2 spots. ROY is not THAT MUCH better than Brewer.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think Brandon Roy will be the best player out of this draft. However, if the Rockets have to trade Luther Head to get him at #6 it will make my stomach turn a little knowing that one WIN cost us a valuable, young rotation player.

14. Chopped

Chopped Member

in the DX forums, JonG (admin of DX) said:
    Quote:
    "oh, and this is definitely something that is out there. Houston has a lot of offers on the table right now, especially from Portland..."
    /Quote.
    :eek: 4th pick?!?!

15. opticon

opticon Member

Its kinda of funny that with this uncertain draft order the number 8 may have more trade value then the number 6. It seems like every team thinks that there guy is going to still be on the board at number 8.

16. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Dude they put a number on everyone you idiot everyone has not been guaranteed to be picked just realize theirs no slight chance we take redick and the 28 cant come soon enough so you will finally realixe that!

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thank you! My thoughts exactly! I love Luther as a nice 'rotational player' but this team needs to FILL the slots 3-6. We need STARTERS and Roy would be a QUALITY starter for this team, SG with size and a legit 3rd scorer. One hates to give up some depth, but you have to go for the QUALITY here.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

winner! winner! chicken dinner! you nailed it.

i have nothing against luther at all. he has potential and he seems to be a hard worker, but his game has defiencies (sp?) that he will not be able to get past because of his size.

everyone loves the 'p' word that rookies have and who knows maybe if we are able to nab a guy like roy we are selling high on head because teams see potential with luther when in reality he may never be able to get past his size, handling, play making, and finishing issues. granted we lose depth but i think if we have a chance to get another impact player then we do it.

we just have to hope roy slips.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Now what in the world would Portland be offering us? They trying to get our pick for some of their junk or are they trying to give us #4 and an enticement to take some of their junk off their hands?

20. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

If that's true its probably Portland trying to also get the 8th pick for a veteran or 2, no way they trade anyway but up with the 4th pick. I can't imagine them passing up on Roy or Morrison just for the PR of having some semi-local kids to help with the PR nightmare they have now.

I wonder what salary package the Rox could give up to pull Randolph out of there and maybe 1 of their pg's. From what I hear almost everyone's up for sale.