1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Luther Head and #8 pick for #6 pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Proz4k

Proz4k Member

A crazy suggestion... i mean, Head is a solid player, young with a nice future, and we are talking about two spots in a poor draft, from 8 to 6...

I think the Rox want Brandon Roy at 6, he won't be there anyway... he will go third to Charlotte, or fourth to Portland.

So i have to say no, just stay with the 8th pick and draft the best player available...

2. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'm not interested in what Portland is trying to do. If Bargnani is there at #4 and the Trailblazers are still willing to deal the pick then that is the course of action that I am going to take. This kid Bargnani is something else. A nimble 7 footer that can finish with either hand going right or left, shoot from the arc, block shots, and has the versatility to play 3 positions. Wow. Not to mention he has the potential to be a superstar for this team alongside Yao, should McGrady's back take a turn for the worse.

I'm really liking the thought of the 3-man options this team will have with Bargnani on the court. I mean, screen and pops with McGrady and Bargnani on the perimeter with Yao in the post would truly be a match-up nightmare for other teams.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The trade would only happen if Roy is available at #6.

4. gucci888

5. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

there is no way the rockets would let Head go, especially involving this mediocre draft. Head is a relative untouchable (only if the right package deal for an already established player comes along)

6. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Luther is overrated because of the poor lineup of our backcourt last season.

He is solid and do everything a little bit but nothing wonderful. His shooting is inconsistent and he cant even shoot the FT very well. His steal ability is pretty good but he seems lost his defending position a lot. He is far from a good defender.

We'd like to keep Head for a very long time but we are talking about the chance of getting Brandon Roy or Rudy Gay-2 guys have a good chance of being all-star someday.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Hey, I like Head as much as the next guy but untouchable? Only Yao is untouchable. Yes even TMAC for the right player is expendable.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Talk about Roderick Rhodes Redux. This deal is a no-brainer.

You don't refuse to part with a bench tweener for a chance at possibly the best player in the draft. We desperately need a 3rd scorer on this team and we may not likely get another chance during McGrady's prime (all 2 years that's left of it) to nab a young, big, skilled scorer like Roy. He's everything we need in a shooting guard rolled into one package. Great basketball IQ as evidenced by his sparkling AST/TO ratio, solid shooter, great penetrator, great size, and as intense as they come.

Luther Head, man. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's a good kid but his handles are very suspect, he's undersized, not a playmaker, and a very poor finisher at the rim. His upside is Lindsey Hunter. You're not going to part with this guy for a chance at an All-Star shooting guard for the next decade?

9. Nero

Nero Member

Regarding the Tall Euro:

Here's a write-up... (couple years old though)

And a more recent one...

Does anything look odd about the older write-up as opposed to the more recent ones? It should. I confess, I fiddled with the first one a bit, but all I did was substitute Bargnani's name the for the actual guy the first section is about. The second section is actually Bargnani. But they are eerily similar, which is what made me start cringing.

Who is the first guy?

None other than our very own Magic Lamp.

I only do this to make a point. Even if, best case scenario, this Bargnani kid can actually become a good NBA player, and even if the Dirk comparisons don't turn out to be totally ridiculous, how long are we talking about here for the kid to develop? AB may wind up being a nice player but we don't have the luxury of having 4 or 5 years waiting for him to blossom, as Dirk did. We need someone who can help us now.

So even if Bargnani is still on the board when we pick, then we either just take the guy we really want (Roy or Gay - assuming we move up), or we trade down and get value from a team willing to give up value to develop a long-term euro project.

I guess I am just not sold on Bargnani at all. This is a weak draft.. I mean, if you juxtapose Lampe's prospect info next to Bargnani's, they are very comparable, but Lampe was not even drafted until the top of the 2nd round in a more reasonably strong draft. Where would a guy with Lampe's 'potential' wind up being drafted in THIS draft? would we all be talking about how great it would be to be able to draft a guy with his potential? Ugh. Hindsight truly is 20/20. What we need is some foresight too.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I just would not want to have to take the risk that comes with an 'inknown commodity' like Bargnani. Let some other team bear that burden.

I hope the Rox feel the same way. I strongly suspect that, if we are indeed trying to move up, it is NOT to try to get Bargnani, but instead Roy, Gay, or Morrison.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am intrigued by this trade but let's say Roy does go ahead of us and we don't pull the trigger on this trade. Now we can draft Brewer and keep Head. This would be one of those trades where you say I am glad we didn't do that trade or I am pissed that we didn't do that trade. If the Rockets think that Brewer(8th pick) + Head > Roy then they will not do this trade. I know it is not that simple though. Even if the organization thinks that Luther is not a good fit or will ever be a starter on this team, I still think he has a lot more value than this, and like many people have said he is one of our biggest assets. While Roy is probably the most NBA ready, I think Brewer is the next most NBA ready player in this draft because him and Roy bring it on both ends of the floor. BTW, I have been dreaming of a backcourt equipped with PG Roy, SG Head or PG Brewer, SG Head combination since the draft began. Head's height disadvantage is not as glaring if we draft someone like Brewer who can play a little point when they are both on the court.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If we take Brewer and keep Head, they would make a pretty good backcourt. Head provides the perimeter shooting (assuming he becomes more consistent than last year), while Brewer can take on PG duties, similar to what Marquis Daniels does with Dallas. And on defense, they could switch. I think that combination could work well. But who knows how good Roy might end up being. That would be a tough decision to make.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

For a player who is "one of our biggest assets," what team is beating down our door with trade offers for Luther?

Moochie Norris was a fan favorite in his first year or so, and then the novelty wore off. Trade him while there is some luster (all rookie team) on him.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let us remember that Arn Tellem, Roy's agent, is talking with fair certainty about where Roy is gonna play next year, and said something along the lines that he'll scare off teams that might want to interfere with that...i.e., he wants his player to go where there's a good fit, and seems pretty dead that Roy's gonna go to a very certain place...

Of course, some team might say, I ain't 'fraid of no agent, and try to screw it up.

And he is gonna try out for the Rox on Saturday, right?

Which would probably mean more of a physical and interview. We already know what he's gonna do.

14. gucci888

Do you mean Redick? Or does Tellum have both Roy and Redick as his clients?

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why would he say between 8 and 14?

Maybe both the Rockets and Jazz have said they are going to take him?

He cancelled workouts at 11, which makes me think that the Rockets have guaranteed they are going to take him.

DD

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If that's the case, CD wouldn't have brought up his concern with the back. Unless he's trying to prevent teams ahead of the Rockets from taking him. But it sounded to me like his concerns were genuine.

18. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

We are not taking carney it looked like there was a chance a few weeks ago but that ship has sailed this is a bad trade for us i would only give up head to move to 2 3 or 4 but that aside if we hold at 8 we are taking brewer if one of the top 6 doesnt fall!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

CD lies his A$$ off about the draft, always has, always will.

DD

20. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Your partially right tho i believe carney will be a stellar player we are taking brewer and thats that but i wouldnt be to quick to call him stupid as your the only one on this board to compare jj redick to dwade and gilbert! HAHA yea right!