1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Luther Head and #8 pick for #6 pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why not trade the rights to V-span instead?

Although I think V-span may turn out to be a lot better than head.

DD

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

damn good post.... gotta agree with evreything you said. i just don't see Head being anything more than a 7th or 8th man rotation player - besides, players like him are a dime a dozen. if you have the chance of getting a player like roy who can come in immediately and contribute a lot, you have to do this.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Would you take yourself out of the running for a Top 6 player for the rights to a 2004 2nd Round pick that has yet to step on a NBA court?

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

JVG was talking about this the other day. The need for a 3rd option. Roy is it.

5. gucci888

BTW, does anyone think the Rockets have given Rudy Gay much thought? I'm personally not a big fan of Rudy Gay but his athleticism and potential is out of this world. Seems like one of the major themes we've been hearing from CD and JVG this summer is the need for size and athleticism.

It would be interesting to see who the Rockets would go for if both Gay and Roy are available at #6 (assuming we trade up).

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, I would. I had to think about it long and hard because we would be giving up Redick and Head. And I really believe Redick is going to be a player in this league. I really believe he is the best shooter to come into this league since Ray Allen and will be a factor for many years to come. I just dread the thought of him going to Utah and canning a 30 footer on us in the playoffs.

But when you look at Roy and his body of work, his work ethic, and all of his abilities, he is just too good to pass on. Roy is the kind of player that is already polished enough to create his own shot (which J.J. can also do, but Carney cannot), but he is also going to be an extreme positive factor on the defensive end (which I doubt J. J. would be) and he is already a very good midrange shooter (which obviously J.J. is) and he has shown dramatic improvement in his shooting, which leads me to think he could be a 40% NBA 3 point shooter, similar to James Posey (while I don't think there is any way that Brewer ever becomes much more than a 42-44% midrange shooter at best).

I love Redick probably as much as anybody on this board. But if we could get Roy for our pick and Luther, Roy is the better fit, the better player. Especially if we could swap Howard for Jaric and get Howard out of here and have Jaric for Luther's replacement. That would make the deal a no-brainer.

You have to look at the overall value of trades. The subtraction of Howard (a double negative equals a positive) along with the subtraction of Luther is more than made up for by the addition of Jaric.

Still, I think we are dreaming.

And why isn't anybody talking about Bargnani? If he is available along with Roy in a trade up, you mean nobody is interested in him? Or do you just think it is unrealistic that he is available at 6?

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Manu Ginobilli was drafted around the bottom of the second round IIRC. Would you take him and move back three spots?

V-Span has proven to be an up-and-coming PG, something Atlanta desperately wants and needs -- plus they get a really decent player (more than likely Shelden Williams) at #8. And the Rocks walk away with #5 and still keep the diminuative Luther Head.

8. anitasri

anitasri Member

DA DA Roy Not a starter? You must be kidding- well I know you are serious but i guess you must be pissed that Reddick will not wear the Rockets Uniform now!

Luther head is a hard working player- he has room to improve but he is still an undersized guard. If it gets us Roy why Not?

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

If Bargnani is there at #4 and Portland is still willing to make a deal then I would be all over it. And despite having a terrible team, there is still a few players on that roster that I would be willing to bring in if it was the right deal.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

No it's Mike James, b****!

11. gucci888

Of course there are exceptions, and hopefully Spanoullis will be one of them.

But I wouldn't give up a shot at Roy, Gay, etc...for an unknown player, especially since 2nd Rounders don't pan out all that often. He could be Ginobili or he could be Tito Maddox, that's too big of a risk IMO to give up a Top 6 pick.

12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Jaric is under contract until the 2010-2011 season. I want no part of that. At least Juwan is only locked up until 08-09 and he may retire before then.

13. jopatmc

I just don't see any way that Gay falls to 6. If he got past Charlotte at 3, and Portland at 4, then somebody is lighting up the phones big time with Atlanta to get him. Wouldn't surprise me if Golden State got involved with Dunleavy and their pick for Gay. Obviously, if Gay is there at 6, then that would be a possibility. But even then, I think Minny starts thinking long and hard about taking him. But hey, if is actually there at 6, and Roy is gone, then I think we should still be interested in the same deal. But if him and Roy are both there, I still think we are after Roy. Just slightly in Roy's favor but all the same, we are after Roy. Shoot, if both of them are there at 6, we might as well take the chance and not make a deal because there is a decent chance that one of them is there at 8. Worst case scenario, if Minny and Boston take them, then they are both are overloaded with swing men/shooting guards. Boston has Pierce, Gerald Green, West, Tony Allen, and then either Roy, or Gay and Minny would have Davis, McCants, plus either Roy or Gay, Hassell, and Jaric. That's too many players that need minutes at those spots. Especially with those teams weaknesses at other positions. So, the chances are good that they have to make a deal, or they just let Roy and Gay slide and they take someone else. Or they trade the pick down for anything of value.

So, if Gay gets past Charlotte and Portland, there is a possibility. I just can't imagine him getting past those teams.

14. jopatmc

I'm talking about if Bargnani slips to 5 or 6. Portland should not trade down. They need the biggest impact player possible. The only trade down deals Portland should consider are trades that would include shipping out one or more of their bad contracts along with their pick for expiring contracts and multiple picks in next year's draft. That way they get cap space to sign a premier free agent and they are front and center in the Oden sweepstakes. That team is a disaster and their best course of action would be just straight blowing it up. But their management is horrible so I doubt they do it. They'll either keep their pick (their next best move) or they will do something foolish like trade up and give away another assett just to have a shot at the one player out of 6 that they feel is best.

15. gucci888

Jaric also misses 20 games per season on average. He did play 75 games this past season, but he is pretty injury prone.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That depends on whether the Rockets think of V-span, if he were coming out THIS year, he may very well be rated more highly than Roy.

So, in that case, I would not trade him.

DD

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I was actually thinking it might be a good idea before I read that. Now I'm depressed.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

To get Odom we'd have to trade Howard, Sura and Bowen. And while I'd trade Howard, Sura, Bowen, Head and Roy for Odom, I'm not sure the Lakers would - too much in favor of the Rockets IMO. Realgm is saying they want to trade Odom for the Bull's #2 and #16. But that one seems too much in favor of the Lakers (which is why it may be true), but I don't see Chi doing it.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Does he have a clause in his contract where it can be voided if he is in prison?

Wishful thinking

20. hansgee

hansgee Contributing Member

I don't want to trade Head, since how long did we actually have a good draft choice? ( excluding Yao ) Head gives much needed depth to our team. David Wesley is 6'1 but his a starter ;) just draft Brewer, Novak and sign Mike James.

We now have depth athleticsm and range. get rid of howard and get a banger, shot blocker.