1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Luther Head and #8 pick for #6 pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

So you are wanting to get rid of one of the most mentally strong rookies and players on our team. Luther Head is a tough, clutch player and will continue to be for many years in this league. BTW, I like Roy but I am not so sure about his intelligence either. He had to retake the SAT's because his score was too low to get into Washington. Then he retook it and improved so much that they thought he cheated. I guarantee you Carney or Roy may not be the smartest guys but they did make it through four years of college and rank high on the records chart at their respective schools. How hard is it to tell Carney to stick to the best player on the court when playing defense. On offense stand behind the three point line and slash to the basket when you get the chance. You guys act like he is retarted or something.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Roy is a much tougher player than Carney is. Roy does other things on the court rather than disappearing like Carney if his shots don't go in. It is bball IQ I am talking about, not SAT IQ.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Head is a career bench player. If trading him helps us get an almost surefire quality starter, then go for it.

We can find another backup undersized sg.

I really hope this rumor is true. It would be a smart move for the rocks.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I agree. Head will never be a starter in this league because of his size limitations, and I think Roy is exactly what this team needs. A legit SG with high BB IQ, and a nice outside shot. The perfect compliment to Yao and Tmac.

5. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

I am ALL for luther + 8 for Roy!!

Ok, this is the smokescreen by the way... When they has CD on the radio if Roy was ahead of brewer and carney, CD immediately tried to state that they were all about the same, with some others as well. We are after Roy!

I really like this guy, he plays so calm, and would be perfect at the 2 next to McGrady. Carney is a player who needs alot of shots. We already have Tmac, we dont need another player who demands the ball. Roy will within the offense.. i pray that this will happen!

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I totally agree with Roy being a much tougher player and a better player than Carney. But there is no way Carney is as dumb on the court as everyone thinks he is. I am not making a case for us to get him because I don't think JVG would ever utilize him correctly, I am just trying to give the guy a chance in case we do draft him. Although I sincerely hope that Roy falls to us. I would also be happier with Brewer than Carney.:)

7. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I think Brandon Roy is a special player. I like Luther, but he is a rotation player at best. He is also undersized 2 guard as well. I would rather that Roy falls to 8th, but we need a strong 2 guard. Roy is very polished. He is talented offensively and a very good defender. Another reason we lost to the Mavs was perimeter defense. JT, Howard and others took it to the basket at will. We need good scoring and good perimeter defense if we have any hopes of being a good playoff team and later NBA Champions.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

MJB=Mike James Boxer??

Obviously, Roy would unite all of us Redick and Brewer supporters. And any trade involving Juwan is a good one for us. I'd gladly take Jaric for him. Of course, you know I'd do the Portland deal. Anything that moves Juwan out of Houston is a good move for this team. This just all sounds too good to be true. If we were indeed lucky enough to get Roy then it sure would be something if we could pick up his backcourt mate, Bobby Jones, at #32. Jones would give us so much versatility and the combination of him with Roy would give us so much more than just what Brewer and Luther would give us. Besides that, what a way to enter the league, onto a great team, with your college mate that you went against everyday in practice. It would be a great scenario for both of those guys. I think Bobby Jones is going to be a player in this league, and he could be a really good player, if he develops a jumper, ala Bruce Bowen. Then we could put a lineup out there of Roy, Jones, McGrady, Yao, Stro if we wanted to go big or James, Jones, Roy, Mcgrady, Stro if we wanted to go small. We could mix match pretty well.

So, obviously Roy would be great.

Why isn't anybody talking about getting Bargnani though if he is sitting there at 6 with Roy? Is no one here interested in that dude? Good night Irene, if that guy's faceup game translate to the NBA he could make us a dynasty for many years also.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

I don't think Jaric for Howard was mentioned anywhere in the source.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Luther made some huge strides the last couple of months of the season at improving his ability to dribble, get to the basket, and not settle for 3-pointers so much. He’s young, athletic, hard working, and mentally very tough (made some clutch shots last season). I don’t see any reason to doubt that he will continue to make significant improvement next season and I think he can eventually develop into a nice 12ppg type of player off the bench. Similar to Stackhouse or Harris on the Mavericks.

We have so few tradable assets on this team. For us to give up really the only two assets we have left (Head and the #8) in one trade, it would really have to be a special we’re getting back in return, and I don’t think that player exists in this draft. If he did, he would definitely be gone by #6. Roy would be a great addition to this team but he’s nothing special. I see him as being at best, a Morris Peterson type of player.

I just don’t want to see us throw all our eggs in one basket again after we just did it not too long ago (Mcgrady). Twice actually if you count the Eddie Griffin move.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

According to 82Games -- BEWARE of drafting sixth!

I wonder if Atlanta will take #8 (Shelden Williams) and the rights to V-Span for #5?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No guarantee that Roy will be a sure fire starter.......Luther is a known commodity.

I would not trade a guy who is a valuable asset for a CHANCE to move up 2 picks, not smart, simply not smart.

DD

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yeah I agree with ya DD.

Roy is solid but there are no guarantees. We know what Luther can do in the NBA.

14. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

If it was up to #1 then yes.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

I don't understand why you had "chance" in caps?

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Come on Dude. We're talking about Roy or Bargnani. I like Redick as much as you but don't let that blind you to this opportunity if indeed this opportunity is there. (I can't see it happening and would be shocked if it did. Just can't see Minny wanting another short guard when they've already got a slightly bigger, stronger SG in McCants.)

Those guys are in a different class than Head and Redick.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I agree, but no one is a sure fire guarantee, did you read the thread about how many flops versus all stars there are in any draft, once you get beyond the top 5 it is a complete crap shoot.

DD

18. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

So what your saying is you would trade Reddick/Brewer/Carney (whoever the pick is) and Head for Roy? Sounds steep to me

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rockets would end up with the better player but ...

Not that much better and the trade works against one of the team's biggest needs: depth.

20. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Don't like this trade at all. We need more depth. Dumping Luther Heead does not get us depth. We have limited money to obtain players and although I would like to think that the front office can produce miracle trades, the fact of the matter is we have almost zero trade assets. And Luther Head is one of them.

Not too excited about coming out on the short end of the stick to get Roy either. Reviews that say that a player does everything good, but nothing oustanding do not excite me and make me want to drain the little bench that we have. Plus Roy has had a knee problem in the past and would rather see us take a player with no known history of knee problems. If we are trading up, I would rather see us take Bargiani.

I am in the trade down camp to get another player rather than giving up one. I like the idea of trading with Charlotte or Orlando a whole lot more.