1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Luther Head and #8 pick for #6 pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Outlier

Outlier Member

From JonathanG.

Btw the drop-off of talent drops considerably from 6-8 and i will defintely do this trade because of that.

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would probably do the trade just so I wouldn't have to hear anymore of these types of juvenile jokes over and over and over.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm with you on this one too. I like Luther but if we have the chance to get a player like Roy or Gay then its really a no brainer.

Then if we could pickup Seattle's #10 pick, we could take Redick or possibly even Randy Foye. People have been discussing Redick for weeks now but given all the high praise Foye has received we would have to consider him at this point, given the chance. Seriously, has there been one scout that has had anything bad to say about him? It seems like everytime I read about him doing workouts against other top names he's always dominating.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That is until you realize they traded Luther for Gay. :)

When I did the NBA Draft Profiles this year, I added links to videos. The link for 'more videos' would read "All Roy Videos" or "All Bargnani Videos". Needless to say, I wrote some code to change the link text for the videos for Rudy Gay.

http://www.clutchfans.net/nbadraft/profiles/2006/rudy_gay/

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Last year's Head jokes could well turn into this year's Gay jokes -- although the punsters would have a more difficult time in remaining politically correct.

I confess making my share of little plays on Luther's name because there we went for a tiny SG when we could have filled other holes. If we acquire Rudy Gay, personally I will refrain from any word plays on his name because RG would be a worthwhile acquisition.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Are you buddies with Givony?

Portland, huh? What could we possibly have that they would want? I could see them wanting us to take Ratliff, Randolph or Miles off their hands, especially Miles.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

You guys don't have to think as this as the Lu+8th for the 6th. Think of it as Lu+8th for the 1st. Brandon Roy could be the top pick in our draft list, and he very well could go #1 in this draft.

Man, drafting Roy would sure get me excited.

8. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Can't agree more. Also this thread reminds me that JVG is such a nut.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sweet. If true and/or eventuates.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Also, (sorry I can't edit)

You HAVE to think Daryl Morey is at work here. If we pull this trade, it must be the best trade for us because I bet he has analyzed Luther Head's contributions on this team, and it may not be that much after all.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Also, I wonder if this would 'have' to include Howard/Jaric???

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! I want the big panda!

(IMHO, Odom would be perfect and would please JVG...not that there is anything wrong with that).

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JBC and Clutch are on the money....I give up Luther in a heartbeat if it means getting a 10 - 12 year starter with all star upside in ROY....It's a no brainer.

14. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

isnt our whole goal to get younger....so we would ditch head after 1 season??? it doesnt sound to smart

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't have a guard who can play defense as well as Luther Head. The guy is more fundamentally sound than anyone we would get at number 6. Luther does the little things right. He makes the smart plays, but isn't a flashy all-star. He's only going to be better.

I think he was decent last year, and has room to grow. The more he gets used to the NBA and the long season, the better he will be. I would hate to give up Luther Head and a pick for #6.

16. Nero

Nero Member

Much as I admired Luther last year for performing above and beyond the call of duty, it became pretty clear that he is never going to be anything more than a decent-shooting undersized 2-guard in this league. I predeict that if we trade him, this will just be the first of many for him. He will have a nice long career, but he is going to wind up playing for 8 teams before he is all done. He's just too small, and not going to be able to beef up enough to be strong enough to play bulldog defense.

That said, I wouldn't mind hanging onto him, but if we have the opportunity to pick up Roy (who I think is probably the #1 most NBA-ready in this entire draft), and all we have to do is give up last year's mid-20's pick, then we do it.

Frankly, considering the history of players chosen that far down in the first round, we got a steal, but only inasmuch as he could play and contribute. True, had we stayed healthy, Luther probably would have ridden pine most of the year. So to be able to turn that late a pick into a strong-enough bargaining chip to where we could get a legitimate starter for the next 10 year (barring *shudder* bad knees) in Roy, then you do that without any hesitation. You pat Luther on the back, say 'Nice job, Son,', send him on his way, and wish him the best of luck. And hope he doesn't become too much of a Rocket-killer.

Roy is just that good.

As much as I like Brewer, I would take Roy over Brewer every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Besides, we can still pick up another perimeter defensive guy at #32, like Bobby Jones. Plus, making this trade would also free up things a bit more easily to bring James and Spanoulis over.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Luther has to guard PG's on defense and go against SG's on offense. That's a huge downfall, especially with Rafer on the floor. If we had a PG in a SG type of player on our team(Ronnie Brewer), that would be fine, but I would rather have a complete player physical and mental in Brandon Roy.

18. Toast

Toast Member

Sadly, it's a very tempting trade.

PRO's for Head:
    Affordable (rookie contract)
    Can shoot from the outside

CON's for Head:
    Too small
    LIMITED upside (I think what we saw is what we'll continue to get)

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hypothetically - getting Odom means salaries have to match. So, good by bad contracts and the putative Roy for LO? (Only works if Cat comes back, too. :D )

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you can't think of it as trading luther head to move up 2 spots.

>IF< roy happens to fall to #6 then we trade our pick and head for ROY...a guy that will be the best rookie next season. He can defend anyone on the perimeter. he can handle the ball, pass, shoot. he is a complete player and by far better than luther...who i love.