1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Chris Paul doesn’t plan on taking paycut for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jun 3, 2018.

1. amaru

amaru Member

How do you feel about Anderson lol

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Deuce, you are always money, but this is a damn good post.

This X1000. You know every possible scenario will be laid out for CP3 and you know damn sure he wants to win.

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

You’re inferring that mgnt has not done the numbers to ascertain the product’s marketability with Paul in the mix. If the rockets take a step backwards, they will undoubtably loose. It was clear this year that CP3 playing made a HUGE difference in the Rocket’s run especially in the playoffs. We don’t make it to the WCF without Paul’s Leadership.

jevjnd likes this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If paul wants to stay here, we pay for it. Bottom line. We'll figure out the rest after. This past playoffs proved that we just need one other piece that can be consistent to take us over the top. Besides harden paul and ariza and tucker, the rest of the team can be replaced. Gordon anderson nene luc can all be replaced.

hakeem94 and Madeinchin4 like this.
  5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Its not the amount that scared the folks, its the number of years.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I haven't read most of this thread, but the question I have is what other contending team would be willing to pay CP3 the max on a long term deal? Seems that every contender would have similar concerns as the Rockets, and I am presuming he wouldn't go to a fringe playoff team or lottery team even if they would give him the money. Maybe the Lakers if they were getting CP3 and another star? Still no matter what team did it they would have the same concerns about CP3's health and the natural decline of point guards in general as they hit mid to late 30s in age.

If no other team is willing to give him the max on a long term deal, that drastically decreases the pressure for the Rockets to do so.

7. UrbanEnterprise

Does paying Chris the max mean no Lebron?

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While normally I would agree with you, this case is special. We're not just trying to entice CP3 into staying.....we're trying to retain him while recruiting another star here. In that scenario, perception is everything. If the Rockets are perceived as a team that doesn't take care of their players, then that would have a very adverse effect on our recruiting pitch to someone like LeBron or Paul George. I think I agree with @Deuce . Morey is going to have every plausible scenario worked out so that all CP3 has to do is decide which path he wants to take moving forward. Once that's wrapped up, they can move on to bigger things.

ROXTXIA and jevjnd like this.
  9. Fyreball

No. The two are separate concepts. The Rockets will be over the cap either way, so acquiring LeBron would have to be done via opt-in and trade, which allows us to go over the cap anyways. CP3 on a max deal truly only impacts Tilman Fertitta's pocket book.

UrbanEnterprise and The Cat like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I would have to disagree about enticing CP3 to stay here. He moved out of his other house here and into a new house, which means moving his family. He reps H-town.

Recruiting another star? Check.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Sure, but realistically how do the Rockets get another max player here if CP3 takes the max? If signing max CP3 gets you Lebron or Paul George then go for it, but if you sign CP3 to the max with no realistic way to make that happen, then how those players might perceive things wouldn't matter anyway..

12. Fyreball

That's what I explained in my previous post. The two concepts literally have nothing to do with each other. LeBron or PG are not coming here ONLY if CP3 signs a max, nor are they coming here ONLY if CP3 takes a paycut. That decision is completely mutually exclusive to whether we acquire another star.

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Maxing out CP3 doesn't impact the pursuit of a star either way. We won't have cap room regardless. The only route to cap room is letting him and Capela and Ariza walk basically and dumping Ryno.

The only concern anyone should have about CP3's contract is length (weighing the team down in 4/5 years) or luxury tax implications.

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  14. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

I can't believe people are supporting us signing cp3 for the max. We are a good team without him. How about we sign someone that can actually stay on the court with that money. Paul George, Lebron?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

good teams don't win championships, which is the ultimate goal here. hou has been a good team for the past several years. most of us are sick of that

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's not how this works. That's now how this works at all.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

ask him how he feels about JJ Watt

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

this is why no one can beat the Warriors because their superstars are all willing to take paycuts to keep a stacked team

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Doing math here.

We are going over the cap after we sign Capela..

Does it matter how much they give CP3? I don't think so....Only the owner will really care in the end.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

ASININE. Stop posting.

What planet were you on during the WCF?