1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rules for thee but not for me

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Salvy, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump keeps himself in the news. Everyone wants to move past him.

Unfortunately, when you commit crimes, you have to be held accountable. It's not for Dems to decide that, it's for a jury to do that, Trump will have his day in court.

edwardc and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't matter if the government was "defrauded" or not. He isn't charged with defrauding the government. He is charged with conspiracy. No one has to be murdered for someone to be charged with "conspiracy to commit murder".

mdrowe00, Newlin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Unfortunately in this case, I think the solution is to allow felons to vote. That's a vestige of white supremacy we can't get rid of fast enough.

Actually, it was the Bush campaign that appealed to the Supreme Court, asking them to stop the statewide recount that the Florida Supreme Court had ordered. And the Supreme Court ruled in Bush's favor. The recounts were automatic per state law, and then the courts got involved to try to make sure the counting was fair. Gore didn't start that, nor did he rope in the SCOTUS.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Don't try to confuse him with facts.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"But Al Gore participated in the case! It's called Bush v. Gore for a reason! Therefore he's just as guilty as Donald Trump in trying to overthrow our system of government."

6. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Take a step back and ask yourself: what do you think would've happened if Trump's gambit had worked? How would the world have reacted to a losing incumbent stealing an election from his opponent and refusing to cede power? The economy would've tanked, there might have been outright violence (see: Jeffrey Clark's invocation of the Insurrection Act) in the streets, and we would've forever ceded our position as a moral authority in the world. The latter was already in jeopardy after four years of Trump; a stolen second term (and, hell, why not a third term if the rules don't matter so long as it's done to oWn ThE LiBs) would've cast this nation and everything conservatives claim to care about onto the scrap heap.

#86 mtbrays, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Was it's fox news' responsibility to "back trump up"?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

republicans are polling in favor of him. republicans attend his rallies, write letters to editors supporting him, and voice their support on social media. Don't blame Democrats, republicans are nominating him over other candidates that as far as I know haven't broken any laws.

rocketsjudoka and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. edwardc

edwardc Member

10. NewRoxFan

Name a Democrat candidate that did any of the following:
    • Incited followers to march onto the Capital?
    • Asked his vice president to delay the certification of the election results?
    • Called secretary of states in states where he lost asking them to overturn the election?
    • Sent out fake electors to seven states to overturn those election results?
    • Approached state supreme courts to overturn the election results?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...tors-trump-indictment-2020-election-rcna98013
    https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/n...efforts-overturn-election-numbers/4130307001/

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Is this a typo, he`s the leading candidate of your party and 90% of support him, including the Speaker of the House, hell they even made every candidate swear they would back the eventual winner, NO MATTER WHAT.............sorry, republicans are the republican party, and you had a chance to kick him out but you were to cowardly to do so. You do have some interesting takes but this is simply hogwash.

I get it your a deep rooted republican, the kind who says what he did was bad but not that bad................and for you to say in another post that were better off under trump then Biden right now just shows you dont look at what each of them did at this point.....hey, if your cool with what trump did, no worries, the maga cult is always looking for another sheep

13. ROCKSS

No sir, your party keeps him in the news, you had your shot to rid him and you did nothing but cower to his will and to his base. The Dems tried to get him out of office for his illegal acts but the republicans wanted no part of it, now your team is all in and is the leading candidate.

Trump owns the party, lock stock and barrel..................maga is his b****

14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Truly a bewildering take to argue that it's Democrats who prop up Trump when his own party, aside from a handful of senators, support him and he is leading the polls to be the nominee for a third straight time.

The GOP should change its logo to a guy punching himself in the nuts while shouting "Look at what the liberals make me do!"

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So if you don't like Democracy then why don't you move to a country like Hungary or Russia? Because we have a Democracy in the form of a Constitutional Representative Democracy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/11/yes-constitution-democracy/616949/

I'm not throwing out personal insults by claiming you are gaslighting as a debate tactic. That's just stating the obvious. A personal insult would be like saying your mom is ugly or that nobody wants to be your friend because you smell like fart. You guys on the right are just waaaayyyyy too snowflakey nowadays where you get all butthurt when someone just simply calls you out.

I guess calling you a snowflake is a bit of a personal insult though so I'll take that one. You can either get butthurt by me calling you a snowflake, or you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps and have a conversation like a big boy.

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

Conservative judge Luttig: "‘there is no Republican Party"...

B-Bob likes this.
  17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I don't doubt that Trump probably got high on his own supply. He is a relativist who believes that truth is what you make it.

To quote Bill Barr, Trump is "toast" if the federal cases go to trial. The Feds have a 90% + conviction rating, and the D.C. case has an especially difficult jury pool for him, with a Judge that will do him no favors. At the end of the day, he probably pleads guilty in exchange for a sweetheart deal. Maybe a few months of "house arrest" at Mar-a-Lago, and an agreement to never run for public office again. Remember when he said he would never settle the Trump University lawsuit, and then he won the election and quickly settled for $25 million? A concession in open court that he committed fraud against the United States and the election was not stolen, but which avoids inflaming his base with him being imprisoned, would probably be the best result for the country as a whole.

18. ROCKSS

He is the biggest blowhard before any actual trial, and then quietly loses or settles, to be honest I think I would take the concession and not serve jail time but there is no way he will go quietly in the night.......hell, if he would just agree to refrain from posting his bs about everyone and stay out of politics 100% but he went down a road where I don't think he can do that, it's not like he can go , "whoops, I guess the jig is up and you caught my lying". ANY admission would make the maga crowd turn on him (really though) and IMO he would rather go to prison as a martyr then live in disgrace...............but he is "the art of the deal" author :rolleyes: for what its worth I dont think he would serve time in jail....................BUT if he did, I would chip in to build a one-person prison on Alcatraz Island and the only people would be trump, his SS and some guards............out of sight and out of mind

VooDooPope and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

Detailed account of one of trump's plots to overturn the election...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can y’all imagine if Hillary Clinton and Obama in 2016 had told Joe Biden they as VP he had the power to reject state electors while simultaneously working with state Democrats in WI, MI and PA to come up with “alternate electors” that would support Clinton.

I somehow doubt those saying things like “We’re a republic not a democracy” would be saying the same thing. Given how this very thread is making the claim that Hillary Clinton was trying to overturn the election even though she conceded the morning after.

So yes Rules for thee but not for me..