1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rules Changes You'd Like to See

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEXCELANT, May 25, 2007.

1. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

The game is cool and don't get me wrong because the NBA game is very well done and is an exciting game. For all thatall we ever see from the NBA is David Stern's tweaking of the ball, the shot clock time and the distance the three point line is from the bucket, and changing the lane violation for big men. Maybe it's for the good of the game but just once even in exhibition, I'd like to see a few new rules changes just to see what it would do and whether or not the fans would like the game better or not.

The game of Basketball as invented by Naismith was not supposed to be just for tall people only so he put the height of the basket at 10 feet thinking this would be high enough that nobody would be able to reach the basket. He was a little bit off on this as the athletes now regularly dunk ball in the hole. The greatest change in basketball is the three point shot. I really believe this brings excitement to the game and can completely alter the game if someone takes the higher risk shot. That being said...here's are a few ideas them try in various exhibition or demonstration concept games.

1. Install a second bucket at 20 feet and make that shot worth 5 points. That will instantly reward shooters and make height a nonfactor for going after this bucket. So now you'd have a 2 pt, 3 pt and 5 pt shot.

2. Expand the playing area to Soccer Field Dimensions and play 10 players. Think about the strategies defensively and offensively that coaches would have to employ.

3. How about a 5 pt field goal from over half court. Then you'd never know that the game was in hand cause another team could throw up a desparation shot from beyond the halfcourt line.

4. How about rewarding pts to a player who shoots the ball from behind the basket? Like expand the playing court a couple of feet longer behind the bucket.

5. In order to prevent the grind it out defenses, what about moving the shot clock to 15 seconds instead?

6. How about changing the rules to encourage more showmanship like the streetballers like Skip? You could widen the court. That would in effect change the game defensively and cause more gaps for the offensive player to run through.

Just a few thoughts of a few trial changes I thought would be cool to see in a preseason or exhibition match. What do you guys think? Or have any other suggestions?

2. huynhct

huynhct Member

How about we add lions and dragons to the game, that would create a huge advantage or disadvantage for the other team, and instead of a basketball court, add 1 ft deep of water, to make the players run through, also add swords and different kinds of laser weaponry.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2 words...Land Mines

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

One announcer calling the game with only the following phrases:

Wild shot!
    No good!
    Intercepted!
    He's heating up!
    He's on fire!
    Ohhhhh...boomshakalaka!
    At the buzzer!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The MTV Generation *grin*
    Is this not exactly the type of stuff they had?

Rocket RIver

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL

Rocket River

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, since big men seem to have such a big advantage, make every basket scored by anybody under 6'3" worth 5 points. If Rafer Alston is on your team and he scores a basket inside the three point line, it's worth 10 points. If it's a floater, it's worth 15 points.

or (semi serious suggestion)...

Instead of foul shots, count up the fouls committed. On the 10th foul committed, the person that commits that foul goes to the penalty box for the rest of the quarter, giving the other team a one player advantage. Any fouls commited by the short handed team after the tenth foul result in foul shots at TWO points each. If the team with the advantage commits their 10th foul of the quarter, the player that was in the penalty box gets to come back for the rest of the quarter. It would then continue like that for each foul committed. You foul somebody, go to the penalty box until the other team fouls. After each team commits their 10th foul, all foul shots are worth two points, until the end of the quarter. It would encourge attacking the basket instead of jacking up three pointers all the time.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just want them to widen the court and create a four point line

9. sbyang

sbyang Member

we turn the entire gym into a giant trampoline, put up walls, eliminate dribbling and goaltending. The whole game will be guys on each other.

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

Correction: The whole game will be guys trying to dunk on each other.

11. sbyang

sbyang Member

I got another one: We provide teams with jetpacks. When a player makes 3 shots in a row, he earns the right to use his jetpack. It'll be like the classic game NBA JAM, the players will be on FIRE.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

ha :D less talk, more action

Realistic Rule Changes:

1. Handchecking is allowed

2. Illegal defense to double player without the ball

3. 3 in the key should be expanded to 6 in the key

4. Change first round playoff format to best 3, second round best of 5, and conference finals and NBA Finals best of 7.

5. Players won't be suspended for accumulation of techincal fouls. Hard fouls shall not always constitutue flagrants unless a player uses a closed fist or tackles a player into the ground, but pushing, shoving, holdin and even elbows will be allowed. Touch fouls will be limited in playoffs.

6. The playoff format will be tornament of the best 16 teams (or best 8 from each conference) where all the teams are seeded by the overall record, where the best team will play the 16 th best team (sweet 16 type format) (problem: would each conference either will send eight teams or have the best 16 records)

ex.

1. Mavs
    2. Suns
    3. Spurs
    4. Rockets
    5. Pistons
    6. Jazz
    7. Cavs
    8. Raptors
    9. Bulls
    10. Heat
    11. Nuggets
    12. Wizards
    13. Lakers
    14. Warriors
    15. Nets (Clippers by overall record)
    16. Magic

For Houston, this be a great benefit because they would have better chance making to championship round (or in the final four)

12. Every time ABC decides to play the PussyCat Dolls theme, they shall be fined 50 million dollars and whoever made the decision to have the song be played shall be fired, as soon as possible.

13. Every team shall get at least one nationally televised game on Sunday, the ratings are already horrible, why not spread the wealth around. It's not like they have to put two horrible teams together...you could have match like Kobe going up against the likes of Raptors, Hawks, or Bobcats. Or the Mavs against the Trailblazers.

14. Shorten the NBA season from 82 games to 62-77. It's way too long. I loved the 50 game season from 99 because the season was that long and you had to play your best right off the bat.

15. Let the GMs, Coaches, Players, and Fans vote for the MVP, along with the columnists, i think that would be very fair...people always talk about how the all-star game is popularity contest and fans are biased towards certain teams and players...but at the same time you have writers who are even more biased towards certain players and teams than fans are just watch ESPN and other sport shows you will see what I am talking about.

a. I think fans would actually do a better job than columnist would because there are alot of fans who watch way more games than a columnist could cover.

b. Bias....? You're telling me that all writers vote with this cloud of total objectivity and vote for truly the best player or the player who really deserves it.

Percentage Votes:
    GMs: 30% of total vote
    Players & Coaches: 25% of total vote
    Writers: 25% of total votes
    Fans: 20% of total votes

13. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

They should widen the court so less out of bounds violations. Also, make shots that are made beyond the half court "4 pointers"

14. metalshred

metalshred Member

Shift the arena to the zoo. Surround it by a large cage of monkeys and donkeys. And write:

"HUMAN BEING NOT ALLOWED."

:D

15. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

This may in fact, be the greatest idea EVER in human civilization.

16. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I got one, if the players say 1) that they need more money or 2) that they thank God for letting them win a game, I get to 3) urinate on their face.

Another, the bobcats, grizzlies, hornets and clippers get scuttled and the league gets to hold a draft for those players.

Referees get fined for making too many bad calls/missing calls. If any ref is found to have a bias against any player, that player gets a paintball gun and gets 5 hours alone with the ref in an empty office building, no holds barred.

The players will get to vote on who they think is the dirtiest player in the league. The winner of the vote gets disqualified from the league and I get to urinate on their face.

Dunking on someone is 2 1/2 points.

No more 3 seconds in the paint.

Each team is allowed three goal tends a game.

Each NBA player earning over $5 million as well as rookies will get a finance counselor so that they don't blow all their money within five years after they retire.

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Good point but I think that they should rub oil each other first and then a lucky contestant "you" can play in the middle for best effect. LOL

18. Sextuple Double

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgJHlXJURkA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgJHlXJURkA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

19. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i like the idea of widen-ing the court, lengthwise and width-wise. the players are just plain BIG BOYS these days.

everyone will want to flame me for this, but the one rule change i might institute if i was stern? WIDEN THE HOOP. :eek:

by only a HAIR. i'm talking maybe a centimeter. not sure exactly.

that way shooting still requires skill, but the shooting percentages GO UP.

before you bag on me... THINK ABOUT IT. only a centimeter.

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Term limits for commissioner.