1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rugby?!?!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigBenito, Jun 6, 2010.

1. chonox

chonox Member

There are 3 codes of footy in Australia, AFL (for poofs) , Rugby Union (a variant form of the true and best form of rugby) and finally Rugby League the ultimate form of football.

AFL is almost like another sport compared to the other 2 and I hate it. League basics

- can only pass backwards (no forward passes)
    - cannot drop the ball forwards (knock on)
    - tackle counts up to 6, on six is a turnover
    - must physically ground the ball with your body (chest/hand) in the restricted area (try zone) to score 4 points.
    - after a try (touchdown) you kick for 2 points, this can also be opted for during if a penalty is awarded and your close enough.
    - during play, you can drop kick it for 1 point (usually not worth it unless its close to the end of the game or half).
    - can't be offside when kick goes up, must be in line or behind the kicker
    - games played in 40 minute halves, there are no timeouts
    - almost no protection gear is required to be worn but there are rules to protect the players, no dangerous tackles (spear tackle/ tackles in the air).
    - video ref is only used for tries.

there are more but I think that's enough to get the gist of the game, I'm just going to post some highlights now :D

Personal favourite tackle - Gordon Tallis on Brett Hodgson 2002 Origin Series
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_f5Rr93v_Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_f5Rr93v_Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Personal favourite try - Billy Slater 2004 origin series
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPcGF9iAtoE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rPcGF9iAtoE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

best tries of 09
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lHgp9vP1Gg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lHgp9vP1Gg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

best tackles of 09
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjEqxb6wrcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjEqxb6wrcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

I'm tipping your from either NSW or Queensland cause in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth AFL is the best code. Rugby is not even spoken about in Melbourne except if there are scandals about under the table pay...

Hell, the AFL just stole two quality players from Rugby and signed them to play AFL??? Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau. Also, Essendon Football Club are in talks with Greg Inglis. I also heard something about billy Slater coming to the AFL.

The AFL is not for poofs mate, and it is known as the Australian game for a reason

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

As an American living in New Zealand, I prefer Rugby League. It has a faster pace and it reminds me of football. American football is becoming more popular with my Polynesian students...there is a huge percentage of Samoan players in the NFL now. Still, rugby is king in NZ. No other sport is even close here.

4. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Unleash the hate.. Its this typical response from league fans which sums up why the NRL is going down the crapper. Terrible crowds, comments like 'We don't need Melbourne in the comp' and then they wonder why they have no money and their young stars are switching codes to AFL and Union for money and big crowds. I am an AFL fan who watches Union and League as well... I don't however b**** about the other sports I appreciate them both... all 3 have guys who are tremendous players in their own sport. But hey apparently they have good 'tv ratings' so I guess the typical NRL fan must be a fat, unemployed wife beater if us AFL fans are 'poofs'. ;)

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

THAT is an amazing try. Wow.

6. rohanaboat

rohanaboat Member

A rugby league v afl fight in a rugby thread, on a basketball forum! That's breaking new ground!

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

That seemed like cheating....

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Rugby and AFL look like a lot of fun...too bad I need a local professional team to pay attention to a sport

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Local as in Neighborhood, City, County, State, Country, Continent, or what? :confused: Where do you live?

Rugby looks awesome. That looked like a legal pass to me. The dude was behind as he stepped. I'd watch it even if I didn't have a team. What cable channel shows some of this sport?

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Local as in, we would have to have a professional Houston team that would get broadcasted on TV.

I'm sure we have a national team but the media coverage just isn't there so it's pretty much non-existent in my eyes

11. SwoLy-D

I thought you meant Austin. Having "local" major sports franchises there would have been difficult. :eek:

So does one sport actually have to have TV coverage in order to be popular? You can probably be a fan even if you don't have that type of coverage.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are tons of local amateur Rugby teams all over the U.S. Go and watch some games. It's free. Be careful- you might get recruited. :)

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

14. SwoLy-D

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u2wZGe-W3xg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Kenmaye

Kenmaye Member

One friend of mine is really good player of rugby