1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy's Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Apr 12, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

WOW A decent thread, maybe now i will have to start visiting BBS more regularly

------------------

2. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Popeye -

You're a doc?

Nice

CBFC

------------------

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

for what reason would the Clippers trade Odom?

ohhhh... he's young. He's probably going through socks too quickly.

------------------
    for Jenna's next trick, she'll convince us all that Karl didn't threaten to leave the Jazz, or for that matter that he ever played with the Jazz

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Tim Duncan? Kandi man/Odom? Doesn't it all sound a little too good to be true? Hope not. It sounds like it'll be an exciting summer regardless. Thanks for the scoop, Popeye.

......and I thought the possibility of getting Kurt Thomas was exciting

------------------

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Sherlock,

I think the other pick is from Philly for Mirsad Turksan.

------------------

6. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Sherlock,

San Antonio would do that because Tim Duncan is a free agent and if he leaves on his own they get NOTHING. So if they do a sign and trade at least they don't lose him for nothing ala Maurice Taylor who's bolting the Clips.... The Tim Duncan Scenario is pretty feasible. We have a young exciting team that needs a missing piece....a big man that can run and convert double teams: Tim Duncan would fit in perfectly. Rudy T will be coaching him in the Olympics as well...so hopefully he'll enjoy his coaching style. And we can pay him the 9 million by the 4.5m exception...Cato and Drew...and that adds to over 9 million..we'll even throw in Draft Picks..(They'll be last when we have duncan anyway.) I read somewhere that duncan also took a liking to Stevie at All Star Weekend..and his only friend on the Spurs is Antonio Daniels..because the rest of them are too old. I think there is a very good chance he will come.

SF MN
    CM Draft
    SA WW
    TD KT
    HO CR

I'm Drooling over here. Now thats a team that can beat LA, who will have the same nucleous for the next 4-5 years.

------------------

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Pops,

At the NBA store party I attended, I heard from alot of people that Orlando has first dibs on McGrady. I also heard that Chicago could land Eddie Jones. Also, I heard that Tim Duncan and Grant Hill are going to either sign for one year or for multiple(not that great of a chance there) but are definite to be coming back at least one more year to their respective teams.

Like I also stated to HeyPartner, the break up of the Blazers is about to happen. They are firing their coach if they don't win it all and Scottie, Detlef and Steve Smith have been major pains the last 3 months and they are probably going to do some major move with Smit. Any confirmation out there of that, Mr. Spinach?

Gracias.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

8. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Oh...

Let me say one thing about Miami. Realistically, that team is at best a .500 team. They have no depth, a broken Majerle, Hardaway and overrated Mashburn. Besides Alonzo, they have nobody. And they won all these games? Just show you what great coaching can do.

In any case, I heard rumblings that Riley will just tweak the team and no big time moves are planned. Meaning, no break up of the Heat just yet.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

popeye makes his triumphant return into Rumorville with the simple, two word fax to clutchcity.net .... "I'm back."

Thanks for the recap popeye on the interview (did Rudy really say they pursued Brian Grant?) and the whispers.... interesting stuff to read.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

Yes, that is the one.

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

4. Tracy McGrady is going to Chicago. That appears to be solid. They Bulls are the only guys with big bucks and enough moxie to barge in and give him maximum without argument.

Wait on that one Pops...

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

12. popeye

popeye Member

Dang where to start?

TIM DUNCAN

Although it is nice to contemplate about Tim Duncan, the people I talked to had some differing views. Three peolple I trust said he was seriously considering Houston amoung the teams he would talk to about a trade. Another group of two, one I know well and another I am acquainted with but "know less"(is that proper?) state he is not only seriousily considering Houston, he is leaning heavily toward Houston. I am not sure I would agree with that assessment yet.

However, all of them (and I agree) say that Tim Duncan is more willing to leave San Antonio now than before the Allstar Break, because of a number of things, some reasons previously mentioned (and some purposefully unmentioned).

I also know that Tim Duncan is a very stand-up guy, honest, pragmatic in his approach to his career, likes the game, likes people and sincerely wants to do what is right for himself. In other words money is not everything. Respect and honor mean more to him.

This is my opinion: Tim likes teams that fight you with everything they have in a game, rergardless of injuries to key players, relative inexperience of the starters and in spite of the opponent they face. A team that plays to win, even if winning means they get to drop their draft value considerably. A team that says to guys like Maloney, Barkley, Shandon, RT, Hakeem, etc ... "...that regardless of what transpires, if you take less now, then we will pay you more when we are in a position to do that." A team that says it will go out and get the components to build around you, because "you are our key 'go to' guy and we will build to your strengths". I think he is considering us very seriously, but I also think it will take a lot of discussion to move him.

The Discussion

1. It would take some monumental agreements and great timing for things to happen. We not only would have to free up some cap, we have to use the $4.5Million, which can ONLY be used in a trade. No dipsy-doodling around that clause. This means that a trade with San Antonio must occur. It would have to mean a Duncan sign and trade for max, to be offset by some heavy contracts(Cato, Walt,) or a combo sign and trade (Mobes?) and we would justify the difference by the $4.5M exception. More importantly. although the Spurs would win by reducing their net salary and make it poossible to trade (Avery), shop (Samaki,Rose) or sign(Robinson) everyone realizes and some have stated, would they be willing to settle for their key player (Duncan) playing in their backyard(or damn close to it) as an opponent 4 - 6 times a year.

2. Next problem: My guess is they go coach hunting this summer if they don't make some kind of statement or advancement in the playoffs. My guess is also that the Spurs will be lucky to move out of the first round and will likely NOT get passed the second. Duncan, Robinson, Avery, Mario, lots of cvontracts to settle. Maybe a new coach with a fresh apporoach, new angle, etc .... change everyones focus and attention. Maybe Duncan stays afterall.(I still think they need some major fence mending and some BIG changes to keep him though.)

ODOM and KANDI

This business of Mo Taylor resigning must have come from one of those California kids that eat Strawberry-flavored Poptarts for supper (chuckle). Mo Taylor will test the market, and some team with some semblence of performance will nab him for a respectable but not maximum amount. That team will not be in housed in California. The Clips need to design a serious plan that shows a gradual climb through a careful rebuilding process. Or they need to jump in with both feet and start offering big money to some key members. They might want to start with the coaching staff. Then build around Odom, Kandi,etc... If they opt for a slow rebuild, Odom will be pissed and he is gone and Kandi will be right behind him. They want some "Action Jackson" in the game. Losing is not fun.

We would benefit from this as we have three, count 'em, three draft picks: Ours (which we have protected and also optioned to keep or give), Detroits pick, and (very probably) Orlando who will opt for this year as they did much better than anticipated. We also have Drew and they like him. They may be willing to unload Odom,etc ...

Next scenario is a Clipper quick fix shopping spree with guys being traded and bought all over the place. Walt, Carlos,or Cato as veteran "made guys" to support or anchor a star free agent like Miller, Rose, or Eddie Jones ..... What would Odom do? My guess it would make his decision harder but eventually he still would see it for what it is .... a bandaid, albeit a larger bandaid than previous years, but still a bandaid for a hemorrhage it will not stop bleeding for a couple of seasons. Now don't say the Clippers would not opt for losing Odom and/or Kandi, the list of guys they have let go is very impressive. If I have a spare hour or so, I'll fill a page with them. BTW: Don't be surprised if the Clips look at D. Anderson, Drew, Cato, Grant (or Rose) with Kukoc as a formidable fivesome that closely resembles the Kings. Well, the Drew/Jason Williams is stretchingh it a bit.

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited April 13, 2000).]

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Popeye</>

Two Things:
    A) The Spurs will not get out of the first round as they jerked with Chucky this year and will therefore become the first Champs to drop in the first round since. . .I do not know when. A long time. Mess with Chucky, feel the wrath (see: Chris Ford)

B) Thanks for confirming your profession by spelling "hemorrhage" correctly.

CBFC

------------------

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I vote we re-name this site Popeye's Home Page [​IMG]

Seriously though, thanks for all the info, Pops.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

15. popeye

popeye Member

CBFC

I am not a physician, as some have surmised. But I did go to med school for awhile, have a degree in a medical field, and worked in critical care, emergency medicine and sports medicine for a very long time (much too long).

I have another degree in Business Administration and presently work as a medical investigator and risk management(legal) consultant throughout Texas and other parts of the country.

How did I get going on this?

Anyway, as a profession, medicine is notorious for misspelled words and for horrible penmanship. I am sure my spelling is correct just by luck. You should see my handwritting!

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited April 13, 2000).]

16. popeye

popeye Member

You know it is time to close a thread or get some controversy going when you start posting verbal drivel like that. Dang!!!!! Sorry!!!!

[​IMG]

------------------

17. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Popeye,
    I heard that we were going to fire Rudy, pay Eric Piatkowski the max after in a trade involving Steve Francis (we also solve our small forward problem by getting Pete Chilcutt in the deal). However, this deal might be bad for team chemistry since Piatkowski and Chilcutt are notorious heroin addicts. Just a rumor though...

18. popeye

popeye Member

That was just the cover story. They're really lovers and they squabble alot over who has the nicest bustline.

And Rusy wasn't going to be fired, he was offered the job of pulling Bobby Knight off his players at practice.

------------------

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If we were to get Duncan somehow, after Dream leaves, could he play the 5?

I think it would be easier to find another 4 than a good 5 that could be any better than Duncan.

------------------

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tim Duncan will play wherever Tim Duncan wants to play [​IMG] and all the fans will be ecstatic [​IMG]

------------------