1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy's BBQ coming to Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Apr 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The first time I went through the drive-thru here, it took me about 25 minutes. They had just opened and it was nothing but chaos. I almost went inside to help them out with my order. lol. It's gotten better though. One of my buddies got their smoked baked potato with brisket. That thing looked absolutely LETHAL. I think it was floating in river of grease/butter. It was so chaotic during that first drive thru, whoever gave me bread just gave up I think - I opened my order up and there was 13 slices of bread in the bag - they just took half a loaf of bread (still in the Nature's Own bag) and stuffed it into my order. :D

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm not going to sit by quietly while citizens from a state NOT known for BBQ—one of them a self admitted spice hater—disparage my state’s BBQ with low scores. Anyone can have an opinion, but it is my firm belief that someone judging regional BBQ should at least be somewhat versed in smoked meats and flavorful sauces. Furthermore, I feel it is incumbent upon me to point out said deficiencies in these judges and uphold some respect for Texas BBQ. If this hurts anyone’s feeling…………too ****ing bad.

3. Fatty FatBastard

They were a bunch of p*****s, no doubt. But you had to find some non-biased area.

And no matter what, pork ribs done well are better than brisket. Which is also why it costs twice as much.

4. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I live close the newest one in austin, and they don't have a drive through.
    they do have a really nice car wash.

no flat screens either. :(

did they have pictures up of famous guests?

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

I saw it today. Gas and BBQ at one spot.

But nothing compares to Saltlick.

6. wesnesked

wesnesked Member

I had lunch at the new location today. It's Rudy's, great BBQ and you get a decent amount for the money. Not a big fan of the spicy sauce though. I live 10 min away and can see myself eating there a lot!

7. Kam

Kam Member

maybe i should go saturday like in the middle of the afternoon.

im kinda hungry right now.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's the one thing I'm not crazy about with Rudy's. Some people just love it. I like it all right, but I prefer the East Texas style of sauce, or the sauce you usually see in the Hill Country. I make my own sauce when I get it to go. To my way of thinking, the hotness of the sauce takes away a bit from the flavor of the meat. I don't mind spicy at all, but hot and spicy are two different things.

9. Fatty FatBastard

Never eaten at Rudy's, but perhaps this is why Texas scored lower on that taste competition with the California judges.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Apparantly.........I had no idea how many California "Cowboys" were bonafide Rocket's fans. If someone thinks Rudy's has a spicy BBQ sauce, they'd HATE mine..........although everyone I know always raves about it. Weird.

11. flipmode

flipmode Member

bumping for the discovery of a Rudy's being built on the north side of 290/Gessner for all the Cypress/Jersey Villagers. i drove by it last week and am wondering if i was just dreaming.

can anyone corroborate?

12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Member

Please be true! That would be so much easier and cheaper than having to go to Spring for some Rudy's. My parents will be ecstatic.

13. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

speaking of new places, does anyone live in katy know what they're building at 1-10 and westgreen close to the new spring creek bbq? it looks like a cheddars, but there hasn't been a sign put up and it's nearly finished.

14. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

Yep, It's a Rudy off Windfern. :)

15. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

This is close by the house..I hear its good.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dang,

We don't have drive throughs here in Austin......

DD

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This place is a lot like most BBQ places - it's hit or miss depending on when you go and who cooked it. I've had decent BBQ there, but had some nasty stuff, too. I used to go to Rudy's up here in Dallas often, but I've stopped going. I've never been a huge fan of Texas sauces (with the exception of something like Stubb's Mesquite sauce).

Deckard, do you think Rudy's is too hot? They have their "original" and "sissy" sauces. I don't think either one is hot. The original may be a bit too hot for some, but it's spicy. What I don't like are sauces that get to spicy just by throwing in chunks of black pepper, and that's what Rudy's tastes like sometimes. If you like sweeter sauces, try Leo's BBQ in Oklahoma City... one of the most unique sauces I've ever tasted. I think they put apple cider or something in it. Of course their "hot" version of their sauce seems like they just dumped another half-a-pound of cayenne into it to make it hot.