1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Worshippers: Grab yourselves a nice fat portion of crow, and eat it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfat, Jan 10, 2003.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Put me up on the dreamshake wagon, and hoist a guillotine up there.

Time for heads to roll.

:mad:

[​IMG]

#61 pasox2, Jan 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I just read that thread again....and I'm still sure of myself. I didn't read anything there that I found convincing. The Pacers were brought up in this thread. "Why are they better than us" the question was asked (with the assertion that they are younger than us). I soundly debunked that assertion.

Nevertheless, all that either of us really have are our opinions. Personally, I tend NOT to agree with the ones that come out of the woodwork after every loss calling for someone's head.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

It's not CONTINUOUSLY crappy play.

We just beat some decent teams, with some quarters showing us glimpses of brilliance. We even had a great quarter last night, but couldn't hit a FT for sh*t.

For others who want Rudy Fired:
    There is SO much evidence that it was more an issue of execution last night that it's laughable that all the anti-Rudy's scurry out of the woodwork after that game. Should we consider 'firing' individual players for missing shots, rebounds, or assists? (Oh, pardon me, some here do propose that, don't they?)

Do I defend everyone of Rudy's decisions? No way, because no one is right all of the time. Rudy naysayers will always find something because Rudy is not omniscient or premoniscient; but apparently some here are (I still don't understand how some of ya'll didn't make it to the NBA coaching ranks, damn injustice!)

I'd really enjoy if some of you worked for me. I need people with those skills. Of course, if you don't know everything...in advance and you make any mistake, I'd fire your ass. That's right, I won't consider your decision making process and the resources available to you, I'd just use my amazing 20-20 hindsight to bust your butt. And remember, no mistake, not one (...of course I would demand a perfect season!)

I've alway understood that this has been a rebuilding process and that this is a young team, what's your reality? It will have it's ups and downs, and I'm damn pleased with where this team is. A couple of years ago we wondered whether we would be competitors in the near future; WELL WE ARE, AND YOU SPIT ON THE PEOPLE WHO GOT US THERE.

Grow up.

4. kobo

kobo Member

No one...No one demands perfection out of Rudy. He is too stubborn to change and does not seem to be able to correct his past repetitious mistakes. Your analogy is just purely exaggeration.

5. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Rocketfat,

Thanks for proving my point better than I can. Once again you showed the typical overreaction that you guys are famous for. That is why I called you guys out in the other Rudy thread.

Thank you.

6. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Don't use logic...it just confuses them.

7. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

And put in who? What scrub off of the bench deserves to be in there?

Rudy can't put the ball in the hole. Shooters keep on shooting. Sometimes they warm up, sometimes they don't. Many teams have a collapse on the free throw line from time to time and that was one of the main problems last night.

8. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I agree with you 100%. Fans on this board are so stuck on Rudy coaching 2 championship teams, that it's really hard for them to accept that Rudy is washed up. I used to be the same way, but after going through so many years of watching this team not get better , I just don't believe he can get it done. This team should be better than what it is, I blame it on coaching. Rudy's coaching style is not the right mix for this team.

9. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I am amused by the mentality of Rudy supporters. Isn't Rudy hired to coach this Rox team? We fans have the luxury of passively watching the game. Rudy doesn't. If he can't figure out how to use the personnel on this team, he is not doing his job.

BTW, I did not say that Rudy was the reason we lost last night's game, but Rudy certainly was ONE of the reasons we lost last night.

10. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

You forgot to mention that the Pacers are running a new offense this year too. Can you tell me who is running their offense better? Would you Please?

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm amused by your inability to understand the Rudy supporter points. Rudy IS coaching this Rockets team. This team is still 4 games over .500 and on pace to make the playoffs (I believe). Rudy has obviously figured out how to use the personnel on his team often enough to win the majority of our games.

Tell me, how many games would we have had to have won up to this point for you to consider Rudy to have "figure[d] out how to use the personnel on this team" ?

If you expected them to be contending for a 4th or 5th seed at this point in the season, I find that laughable. Sitting at right about the 8th seed, with a lot of inconsistency is exactly where a lot of people expected us to be. To expect Rudy to do more than that is expecting too much, and I can just about GUARANTEE you that anyone else that we brought in to replace Rudy would not do better, and more than likely would do worse.

12. droxford

droxford Member

What does this mean?

-- droxford

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Rudy's job is to win as many games as possible - plain and simple. If the players consistently miss easy shots or refuse to run his plays or play with little effort.....it is all in the end still his responsibility to make sure corrections are made going forward so that the team wins as many games as is possible. Rudy's job is to win as many games as possible this season, not in 1993 or 1994 or 1995, but right now. If he is unable to get this team to win as many games as possible - and this team has already lost at least 8 games thus far that were VERY possible to win - then rudy needs to go.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many coaches every year would you say win as many games as possible? Sure, we have lost some close games, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think there is someone out there that will do better.

15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

dear rocketfat,

please go be a fan of any team not coached by Rudy.

no one here will miss you.

seriously.

I mean it.

leave. go.

no one here will even know you're gone. or care.

bye. don't come back.

leave.

please don't ever post again.

for real.

no, I'm not joking.

disappear.

please.

:) :)

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Raven, however you and I want to package the symantecs of what games are winnable by this team, what other coaches win all their winnable games, etc....neither of us can deny that this team is underachieving and just playing ugly basketball lacking in many fundamentals that most 12yr olds have already grasped. Even the fans have voted with their feet and wallets by not filling the arena because everyone is simply sick of watching the guards ISO to death and drive into a crowd of defenders or jack up an ill-advised shot on 2 outta 3 plays. I am not saying there are 28 other coaches in the league who are better than Rudy. I'm not even saying Rudy would not make a decent coach for some other team. But the current situation is not acceptable and either Rudy has to make some drastic changes in his coaching or Les needs to move on and rectify the situation himself. At this point, I would just be happy with just a new assistant coach brought in who can implement an effective structured offense of some kind, any kind.

17. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Speaking of coaches utilizing their personnel, lets look at the team in front of the Rockets so far.

1. Dallas 30-5
    2. Sacramento 27-10
    3. Phoenix 23-14
    4.San Antonio 22-14
    5.Portland 21-14
    6. Utah 21-14

Dallas and Sactown are very talented teams and are rightfully 1 and 2 in the West. But Phoenix is not as talented as the Rox look where they are. San Antonio has a great tallent in Tim Duncan, but who else is on that team. A washed up David Robinson and an overatted point guard in Tony Parker. The Jailblazers have had all kinds of problems off the court this year but still manage to be right there for the top 4 seed. And the old geezer Jazz, who already beat the Rox at home this year, are not exactly oozing with talent either. Stockton and Malone are the their two aging stars who are just about finished. One commonality of all those team is that they play as teams and are bettered prepared game in and game out more so than the Rox.

Don't tell me the Rox and us fans should be satisfied with where the team is right now. How long are we going to use youth, not playing together that long, etc. as excuses. I have a feeling five years down the road some of you Rudy lovers will still be using the youth and experience argument. It plain to see, this team needs direction, a stern hand to get this bunch playing together like a team. Not a coach who is just one of the boys who is always ready to make an excuse for all the stupid mistakes.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Wow. It's just absolutely amazing. For two whole games - and two complete wins against good teams - all you Rudy haters kept ure pie-holes shut, just waiting for the next Rocket's loss so you can launch yet another verbal assault against him. It was actually quite joyous though. For two days, no whining or complaining that we needed a new coach because the Rocket's we're executing they're game plan to perfection. And then all of a sudden, they come out and play like crap to yet another cellar team, and it's time to put all the blame on the coach. Did ya'll fail to hear what Cat said about a week ago, that the players simply DO NOT go and do what Rudy freakin tells them to do?! That's immaturity right there! You can be any coach in the NBA and no matter how good you are, if you're players don't exectue the game plan the team's totally screwed. The players clearly haven't learned yet that they have to bring their "A" game EVERY TIME they go onto the court. And until they do, they're gonna keep losing to these teams. And the only way to learn that is to lose games like this - to learn through experience.

Last night was NOT a game lost due to bad coaching. It was a game lost to due lackluster, lethargic and sloppy play, poor shot selections, poor passing and piss-poor shooting. Your frustrations are definitely warranted after a bad game like this, but their misdirected. This loss clearly and soley belongs to the players, so stop complaining about Rudy EVERY TIME we lose.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Some of ya'll are just to damn spoiled and too impatient. Where exactly do you expect this Rocket's team to be right now: 30-5 or 27-10?! You can't expect to throw a bunch of talented players together and expect them to gel and grow overnight into an elite team. That takes time, as in more than one season. Sac, Dallas and SA did not grow into the teams they are after 30 games so don't expect the Rockets to do that. I am happy with where the Rocket's are right now. A 19-15 record with wins against some of the top teams has met - if not exceeded - mine and many others expectations. What I am NOT happy with is their inability to win against weaker teams, but that will change as this team continues to grow. You just don't seem to realize the effort it takes to put together a contending team. The Rockets WILL get there, so just relax!

20. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Why is this? The fact that the Rox don't listen to Rudy is because they simply don't respect Rudy. Wheather it be immaturity or not. Rudy needs to start benching some of these players if they don't follow direction. Send a freakin message.

Rudy's just one of the boys. This team doesn't need a players coach. They need discipline. And I've been saying that for a while now. There's just no valid excuse anymore for this team and the way they play and execute. Something needs to change.