1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Tomjanovich's health problems with the Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brando2101, May 31, 2007.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

Did more details ever come out about Rudy's health problems with the lakers?

I always assumed more would come down the road but it doesn't seem like anyone has talked much about it since.

I remember hearing rumors the stress might have made him start drinking again... I don't know. I remember they said he had a stomach virus. There has to be more to it than that.

Just popped in my head. Hope someone can remember something.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can't help answer the question. But drinking wise... Rudy never could quit. He would stop for months at a time then find himself drinking again, then quit for awhile. At least thats what he said in interviews.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I thought he said he made good progress when he let go of some elements from his past like forgiving Kermit Washington. I hope he's winning the struggle to stay sober.

4. Smokey

Smokey Member

I remember when Kermit was pissed at Rudy for not helping him get back into basketball. After you almost kill a man, you expect no one to black ball you out of the business...?

5. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

where was this moved

I heard Rudy had some major major alcohol problems. It's what coaching does to you. That led to his cancer. Coaching can be very unhealthy.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Rudy T didn't need to blackball Kermit Washington out of basketball. The ******* did enough to insure that all by himself.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, it was a pre-meditated thing by Kermit. Or not.

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

if he would have done that to someone on the street he would have been in jail

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Member

No, only that lakers management had a meeting with him and he came out angry afterwards.

This was after a loss to NJ. Next thing you know he's stepping down.

That was reported by David Aldridge at the time.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like some others here, I've heard stories of Rudy drinking after stepping down as Lakers coach. Hope they aren't true.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think the guy has ever been completely sober at any point. He still drinks a few here and there. As long as its under control is that such a crime?

12. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

It's not illegal to drink, but he's doing his body a lot of harm because he has an addiction that he's been trying to get over for years.

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Member

Totally.

And then he would have gotten out of jail.

And then he would have gotten a job in the field he had succeeded at for years.

14. The Ming Dynasty

But he probably wouldn't have gotten a reference from the guy he battered

15. Enron

Enron Member

the one time i did meet Rudy at a golf function in galveston (95?) he was very drunk, i have a pic of me with him

16. TBar

TBar Member

Where exactly did you hear or Read this? As hard as it is to get past an addiction-some succeed. I recall Rudy going through a successful 12 step program.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I saw Rudy at Whole Foods not long ago. He looked really good. He's thinned down. A friend of mine works at Whole Foods and told me Rudy eats a lot of vegan raw foods. That's a very healthy diet. I also heard from a guy I know who claims to share the same nutritionalist that Rudy has beaten his cancer and does a lot of fasting with a juice diet. (and no! Not gin and juice! :D )

All of that is second hand except actually witnessing Rudy in Whole Foods purchasing health foods, so you can take it for whatever you think it's worth. As for the drinking, I have no idea and I don't care to speculate.

18. denniscd

denniscd Member

i think its very wrong to talk about something so serious without factual info...leave rudy alone

19. RareAir

RareAir Member

he was allergic to kobe....

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

These Lakers higher ups sure seem to agitate people, whats their deal?
    Jerry West leaving, Phil left, Shaq, Rudy T, Kobe b****ing now...

Keep it going Lakers, good :eek: