1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Tomjanovich to resign from Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2005.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Lance brought up that same exact sentiment this morning on 610. Those close to Rudy are saying the same thing as Marc Stein.

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I'd second that, and add a good sense of humor, too. I met him and Calvin at a family function years ago. They were both great guys.

4. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

He still has a house in Houston and one up on Lake Conroe where he keeps his boat. I know this as my dad is his boat mechanic.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

awesome song.

6. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Update to espn's story:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1981564

"Sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that Tomjanovich will make a formal announcement Wednesday, and the Lakers have scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. ET. The team said that Tomjanovich would discuss his plans but did not give details."

looks like we'll hear something in an hour or so.

7. qrui

qrui Member

8. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

espnradio.com here I come.
    It's got to be on ESPN News radio.

9. Gummi Clutch

***unofficial transcript Rudy T news conference***

Rudy T news conference on espnradio.com now!!!

It's coming on in a few minutes.
    Click link to listen to "espn news radio".
    Not the "Dan Patrdick Show".

#229 Gummi Clutch, Feb 2, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  10. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

it's on ESPN now

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It's on right now 790am

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

sounds like Rudy is still going to continue to be a Laker, that really broke my heart :(

13. Gummi Clutch

typed as fast as I could, lots of errors...

Mitch-First time Ive been in this Kings Locker room. On Sunday afternoon I got a call from our assist coach and trainer informing me Rudy called them to call in ill. I gave Ruday a call 1 PM Sunday, he indicated something might be the flu, but the more we talked I heard something that sounded more like the flu. Monday morning we talked again, it started out how do you feel, and later it showed there was something that transcended the flu and may not go away shortly. I went to his house later for a conversation, it became emotional, and it became clear that coaching may not be the best option right now. I told him I would call him later that night although I knew what he was going to say. I talked to him that night and the decision was reinforced. Yesterday shootaround was queit, since it was a gameday we stayed away from the issue, this morning Rudy addressed the team and stepped down as coach of the LA Lakers.

Rudy-Well I don’t know exactly where to begin, but I want to make somethings clear, there are o outside influences, any pressure from above, influence from players, or being here in LA, this is all about me and how Im wired. I came here in such great spirits and passion to take this opportunity to make the best of it, and that’s how it started. About a month ago so of the pressures and things that came with coaching started to affect me physically and mentally. Ive been through this before with the championships, Olympics and in my private life I have delt with all kinds of stress and tough situations. As time went by I started to feel my resistance going down. I went from this pumped up guy to being zapped with no energy. I went back to being on antibiotics again, after not using them from years. Why this happened now, and why my body cant take it now I do not have the answer. I have been through a lot more.
    I had several meetings with Dr. bus after we just beat Sac and lost in OT to WAS, I didn’t know wahat he was going to say, but in that meeting he expressed that he was happy, very happy with the team, and how much he enjoyed watching the way and style we played. Coming out of that meeting you would think I would have felt some relief, but I felt so grateful to have an owner that understood what someof the pressures I had, I wanted to do even a better job and had more pressure. When I got to meet Kobe he did some thing no player had ever done, calling before the season to talk basketball, he inspired my dedication, he gave me something else to really really win. And them the team itself a lot of these guys coming off of years where they weren’t at the top of their game and then they come here and started to excel. I fell in love with the team and consider them my family. In doing that I think I took on too much responsibility. I could not shut it off when I was away from the arena. When we won a game I went to the same restaurant and had a steak and the best fries in town, and when I left I would already be thinking about the next game. It just kept wearing on me and then my resistance went down. I don’t know why now because I have been so much more. I would go for a walk to think it was an outlet, but all I would think about was basketball.
    In the last few weeks it got to where it was bothering me so much I had to call a doctor because I just didn’t have the energy, and the doctor asked me a very simple question, “Is it all worth it?”
    I love this organization and one of the misconceptions I had coming here is that this is some gian tconglomoration, but it isn’t its like a family. I got along well with the people in the office, Mitch, Dr Buss, his son, down to the ball boys, and equipment guys.
    I loved being here, everything I got, but maybe I put too much pressure on myself, and nobody put it on me but me.
    I had to be honest with Mitch and tell him how I felt during our conversation. I want to be a Laker and I want to continue to be a Laker. Mitch talked to Dr. Bus and said he wanted me in this organization, and they offered me a job for 2 more years. :( As bad as I feel about the coaching situation I feel honored I can still try to find a way to help this team win.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Just finished watching RudyT's press confrence.

"Stress" and "Pressure" of coaching the team forced him out according to him.

PS. Did anyone notice that Rudy's diet coke rapper was removed after he took the first sip? It looks like the ESPN people did not want to give Coca Cola free advertizement because the rapper was there when Rudy took the first sip and was not their when Rudy took then next one. Weird.

15. judoka739

judoka739 Member

Rudy to be re-hired as a "consultant" and the contract for supposedly two years. Does this sound like that Laker organization is keeping Rudy T. around for better relations with Yao Ming in the future? Just pure speculation, but why would they just hire him into a new made up position? Rudy says he'll be doing a lot of scouting, but they already have plenty of peeps for that. Interesting......

16. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Thanks Gummi.

17. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

This is all very wierd if you ask me....

Sounds a lot like what happened when he "resigned" from coaching the Rox.

18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

For the same reason the Rockets did?

These Yao to LA theories are never going to end.

19. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Unfortunately that means we'll probably never see Rudy T. on a sideline again.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

gotta Love Rudy

Man . .. did he goto Notre Dame. .
    cause that movie about that Rudy
    seems
    to apply to him too . .. HEART FOLX!~!!!

Rocket River