1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy stepping down!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blatz, May 23, 2003.

1. Stylez

Stylez Member

Man I was just hating on Rudy moments before I heard this. C'mon Rudy I was just kidding I don't want you to step down just hire some better assistants. But as long as he remains w/ the Franchise in some capasity, I will be happy, just don't up and dissappear.

Well I guess the nest thing to say is come on doewn Van Gundy or Silas. This might also spell the doom of Moochie, Mobley, and MoT

PS: I'm really gonna miss Rudy :(

2. mulletman

mulletman Member

Does this mean no Larry Smith, no Jim Boylen, etc.? Assistant Coaches are the ones that needed to go more than anyone...

i saw larry smith loading up on alcohol at bert wheeler's last saturday in sugarland. this could be the reason why:p

3. x_trepidation_x

woops worry didn't see your post...

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not surprised. But I am surprised. Just because this is the sort of day that comes out of nowhere.

I hate to say I'm glad, but Rudy wasn't reaching these players, and they had to start over with a clean slate, both with coaches and, to a lesser degree, with players.

I did say that it doesn't matter that Rudy went scouting in Europe for the team. As I said, the phone conversation would have gone, "Hey Les, I'm heading over to Europe to scout."

"Yeah, you do that."

"Um, and we can talk about things when I get back."

"Yeah, that's the best thing. I really don't know what direction we're gonna go in. I'm still mulling things over. But don't let this be a cloud over your head, just enjoy yourself, let me know what you find, and talk to you when you get back."

"All right." (click)
    ------------
    P.S. So Van Gundy's comments about Rudy's greatness might have been cheese for the pizza after all....?

And maybe Van Gundy's using Cleveland as a practice job interview?
    -------------
    Rudy, if this is the end of your tenure with the Rockets, I'll just say, Godspeed; I wish you full recovery, long life and good health; if you still want to coach in the NBA, I hope you get your wish; and thank you for all you've done for us.

5. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Rudy has an eye for talent that I would hate to lose. He also seems to be pretty good at getting players to come play for less money than they could get elsewhere.

If he could still perform these duties without being the head coach, I think that would be a great situation for all involved.

Unfortunately it is hard for a coach to hang around and not be the coach. It is tough on the players, the new coach and most importantly himself.

Good luck Rudy. You will be one of most quoted coaches of all time. "Never under estimate the heart of a champion."

PS. I prefer Brown to Van Gundy.
    PSS. Please bring Eric Snow and Kenny Thomas with you.:D

6. Toast

Toast Member

I'm really disappointed. This should be Rudy's opportunity to shine ... finally getting the opportunity to develop a team around a dominant big man. Instead, we have to deal with change and a completely new system.

Best of luck to you Rudy T. Best Rockets coach ever.

Who's gonna fill those big shoes? My vote would go to Larry Brown, but I highly suspect Van Gundy's the leading candidate. All you guys who have been wishing for Van Gundy to replace Rudy T ... be careful for what you wish for. You know what's gonna happen on this board when the Rockets don't show any improvements, or have a bad game ...

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Holy sh*t! I was posting in the Hangout. Clicked on Rockets forum, and I see this! This is huge! I didn't think that this could happen so quickly. F'n A, $12 million is a lot to negotiate.

Rudy T should take a few years off and start coaching again when he gets better.

8. Simon Honeybone

Yes he did do things like draft Sam Cassell with the 23rd pick, but how on earth do we pay Bryce Drew, Cuttino Mobley, and Moochie Norris such big contracts? Overzealous evaluations of talent I'd assume.

9. CrazyJoeDavola

Bryce Drew was a standard rookie contract. Cat's contract is VERY cap friendly and some argue that Cat is slightly underpaid.

Cato, Norris and to a lesser extent, Mo are probably the most glaring contract mistakes.

10. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Maybe RT can come back in 7 years when our team is competing for the championship and Yao is at his peak.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree with this. I'd rather see JVG here because he is younger and because he had a successful tenure with the Knicks. With NY, he was rally able to get througn to his players. Spree and Kurt Thomas, and even Ewing have egos and JVG was able to mold them together.

Maybe Van Gundy can do the same in Houston

Larry Brown is too old, and in 4 years he will just leave.

12. JR

JR Contributing Member

THANK YOU LES!

13. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I have been dreading this day, knew it had to happen fairly soon. Hope this is a change for the better, it will take one or two seasons to find out.
    Best of luck RUDY!

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I disagree that next year will be another year of sucking because a new coach would have to put in his system. The new coach wouldn't be starting from scratch he'll have a team with good chemistry. I doubt if any of the coaches, especially Silas or Van Gundy would want to break up a 43 win team. If anything I think they'll groom the team to win 47 to 50 games next year and the playoffs.

#74 RocksMillenium, May 23, 2003
    Last edited: May 23, 2003
  15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I have to say that I am ashamed and dissapointed that there are people who's first response to this is a positive "Tiger Woods making a birdie" fist pumping celebration. People who's reaction to this "Yes!!!," "thank God," "finally," or "about time" are grade A a$$ holes. I just had to get that off my chest.

Much respect for Rudy, the "ONLY" coach to take us to a major championship in this city. At least some people will miss him and still appreciate the job he did and the 33 year commitment he made and the dedication and loyalty he had to the team and this city.

Get better Rudy and I hope you end up doing whatever you choose, even if that means eventually coaching elsewhere.

16. CrazyJoeDavola

Clutch has updated his lead story:

An era is ending in Houston.
    Two sources confirmed to ClutchCity.net Thursday that Rockets owner Les Alexander is relieving 11-year Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich of his head coaching duties, is looking to move him to the front office and is seeking a new head coach.

Tomjanovich is currently battling bladder cancer, but it has not been communicated to me as having been his decision.

The Rockets owner met with the assistant coaching staff this week to let them know they would have a chance to interview and stay on in Houston with the new head coach. That new head coach reportedly will still work with Carroll Dawson, so what Rudy T's title and role will be in the front office is unknown.

So who will be the new head coach?

Both sources stated that former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy has been talking with Alexander about the position, and speculated that he is the frontrunner for the job. Van Gundy is also in the final interviews for the Cleveland position, and since the Cavs just won the LeBron James sweepstakes, this could change things. Watch out also for Sixers coach Larry Brown, who was mentioned to us as a strong possibility during the season, and he is not a shoe-in to be back in Philadelphia.

Either way, it's a sad day for diehard Rockets fans. Tomjanovich took over the Rockets from Don Chaney during the 1991-1992 season, and led them to 55 wins the very next season, followed by two straight championships. "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" was his tagline, and he had the entire city believing every year in his Rockets, through good times and bad times. Free agents loved his laid back "one of the guys" style, and desired to play for him.

Look for Rudy to finish out his contract with the Rockets, but seek a head coaching gig elsewhere after that.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i love rudy t and i hope he fully recovers, but he had to go. its painful, after all that rudy's done for us, but changes must happen in order for the team to improve and change starts at the top (and hopefully at the "assistant" top too).

i dont agree w/ those who say that it is a step backwards cause the players will have to learn a new system. if we get a new coach he has plenty of time to install his own gameplan. i would be more worried if a switch happened mid-season. im worried b/c there didnt seem to be a system w/ rudy. now the players are actually going to have to LEARN one. what a novel concept!

i dont want to see him move upstairs though...he is the one responsible for all those bad contracts and some questionable draft picks. i have a bigger problem w/ his personel decisions than his coaching ones (though i have questioned them in recent years).

hopefully steve will demand a trade now. im sure he would hate to play for someone who didnt give him carte blance on the court.

18. carlos

carlos Member

I liked Rudy but he was just not the right fit for this team. As for who to replace him..... My feeling is that Larry Brown is one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the league but he is somewhat of a gypsy as he gets restless after a few years and wants to move on. Still I would rather have ho than JVG.

The traits I would want in a new coach are:

1. A commitment to a definable offensive strategy. Whether it is the Princeton offense, the triangle or what have you I just don't care. However he needs to be committed to the point where players who do not fit the scheme (or are unwilling to maintain the discipine to implement the scheme) are benched and/or traded.

2. A comittment to defense. Defense wins chamipionships and is a good indicator of team effort and commitment to winning.

3. A commitment to rewarding the players that show effort and hustle and a willingness to bench those that do not give max efffort regardless of their potential or superstar status.

4. A commitment to recruit players that give all out effort rather than chase potential. Ideally you would find players that have both.

Goood luck Les!

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A-Train, it's a bit rude. . . but it's true. :( Which half are you on?

20. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Thank God. There's hope after all. I hope all is well with Rudy health wise, but I think this is a step in the right direction. No more cave man basketball.