1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy seemed to have an offensive scheme....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hitman1900, Nov 3, 2004.

1. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

in his debut as the Laker coach. Not a lot of isolations, but plenty of pick and roll moves. Lakers actually looked like a team. Makes me wonder if he was actually calling all those iso plays during his last 4 years with us.....:(

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Chris Mihm sure looked good for the Lakers. Very aggressive! That trade is looking pretty good for LA now. Isnt Mihm a FA after this season? He could be in a for a big payday considering what Foyle got.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Mihm was actually a free agent this offseason (restricted). He was signed-and-traded to the Lakers in the Payton deal. He got a 3 year deal worth 11-12 million- a definite bargain in this day.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Either he wasn't drawing it up the way it was being executed by Francis & Co., or they weren't able to understand any other scheme, so he went with the simplest thing he could find. Or maybe a little of both- not sure.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Or maybe Francis never got to play with someone like Odom, or maybe he never had a legitimate power forward like Brian Grant, or maybe Rudy has been running isos since he had Hakeem. Anyone who has seen Orlando play in the preseason saw they weren't running a bunch of isos with Francis and Mobley, and the Rockets weren't running a bunch of isos last season. Francis and Mobley ran a lot of isos because that's the way they were coached.

6. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

so why isn't Rudy apparently calling a lot of isos with the lakers now?

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rudy is calling the alot of the same plays he called here. He just doesn't have a slow 7'6" dude clogging the middle and he has Kobe Bryant and Odom initiating the offense instead of Francis and Cat and we all know who the better passers are.

Trust me, if Rudy could get Kobe in an iso situation, he would on almost every play. There is no one in this league that can stop Kobe from scoring without help.

8. TheFreak

Glad to know you were in the huddles and at practices.

What does Odom have to do with it? Brian Grant is currently third string behind Brian Cook.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, is Mihm no longer a stiff? I thought his showing in the preseason was a fluke, but maybe not.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So Rudy doesn't depend on isolation? He's running the Princeton offense?

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Rudy won 45 games (same as last year's team) with a lineup that included Francis, Mobley, Taylor, Shandon Anderson, and a 38-year-old Dream in his final season with the club. Yea, they ran alot of isos, but those plays worked. He was always a master of exploiting a player's best attributes and always emphasized matchups, and the iso was one of the best options with that particular team, just like the left block post-up was a staple of the Olajuwon-Drexler-Barkley team. Both were boring, neither was pretty basketball, but both were effective.

Iso plays just aren't as effective anymore, with the zone defense. Neither is the offense that the 94 and 95 championship teams used, for that matter. The zone changes everything, it de-emphasizes the one-on-one matchup. That's why you don't see it much from Rudy or any other coach. Given the number of passers on that team, I'd guess that Rudy's system will emphasize ball movement with an eye to getting Kobe good looks at the basket.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will be absolutely SICK if the lakers have a better record than the Rockets

Rocket River

13. Summer Song Giver

Rudy is a Kobe puppet, it is sad.

14. pacertom

pacertom Member

He's just thriving now after moving from the mighty East to the lowly west.

;)

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Mihm used to put up pretty decent numbers when he played for Cleveland. His biggest problem was he couldn't stay out of foul trouble. I would see him in limited minutes get near a double-double and end up with 4-6 fouls.

16. TheFreak

Depends on the players he has to work with. Why don't you break down the offensive scheme he used with his Bronze medal squad full of cast-offs at the World Championships.

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

It kinda sucks to say but he really is BUT thats what Koby wanted and managment as well....

18. LooneyToon

LooneyToon Contributing Member

You guys remember before Yao was drafted, Steve and Cat wanted to trrade the pick for Odom? Hahaha

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So those cast offs could run a different offense, but NBA players can't? You're not even making sense. So I guess Drexler and Hakeem were to stupid to run another offense also, since that's the reason you claim he had to run it with Francis and Mobley.

The dumbest Francis bash on this sight has to be that Francis wasn't running the offense Rudy wanted. That offense got them 97 points a game. I'm sure Rudy was happy with it. It won them 45 games in the West without an all-star on the team. Rudy pratically invented that offense. And it really doesn't make sense because Francis and Mobley didn't run a bunch of isolations last season. So they are going to directly disobey a coach they liked and run the offense for a guy they don't. Its stupid. And then you're gonna ask me am I in the huddle but you're claiming that Francis didn't do what Rudy wanted. So I guess you're in the huddle.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think Mihm's performance says more about Denver's front line than it does about Mihm.