1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rudy rudy rudy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know folks here like to question sources and sling ad hominems. Is this where I file a complaint against Laurence Tribe? ;)

basso and B-Bob like this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Uh, oh...

Rudy Giuliani’s Apartment Searched in Federal Investigation
    Federal investigators in Manhattan executed a search warrant on Wednesday at the Upper East Side apartment of Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York City mayor who became President Donald J. Trump’s personal lawyer, stepping up a criminal investigation into Mr. Giuliani’s dealings in Ukraine, three people with knowledge of the matter said.

One of the people said the investigators had seized Mr. Giuliani’s electronic devices.

Executing a search warrant is an extraordinary move for prosecutors to take against a lawyer, let alone a lawyer for a former president, and it marks a major turning point in the long-running investigation into Mr. Giuliani.

The federal authorities have been largely focused on whether Mr. Giuliani illegally lobbied the Trump administration in 2019 on behalf of Ukrainian officials and oligarchs, who at the same time were helping Mr. Giuliani search for dirt on Mr. Trump’s political rivals, including President Biden, who was then a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The United States Attorney’s office in Manhattan and the F.B.I. had for months sought to secure a search warrant for Mr. Giuliani’s phones.

The New York Times reported, slowing the investigation as it was gaining momentum last year. After Merrick B. Garland was confirmed as President Biden’s attorney general, the Justice Department lifted its objection to the search.

While the warrant is not an explicit accusation of wrongdoing against Mr. Giuliani, it shows that the investigation has entered an aggressive new phase. To obtain a search warrant, investigators need to persuade a judge they have sufficient reason to believe that a crime was committed and that the search would turn up evidence of the crime.

Spokesmen for the F.B.I. and the U.S. attorney’s office declined to comment.

The investigation of Mr. Giuliani grew out of a case against two Soviet-born men who aided his mission in Ukraine to unearth damaging information about Mr. Biden and his son Hunter, who was on the board of a Ukrainian energy company. The prosecutors charged the two men, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, with unrelated crimes in late 2019 and a trial is scheduled for October.

While investigating Mr. Giuliani, prosecutors have examined, among other things, his potential business dealings in Ukraine and his role in pushing the Trump administration to oust the American ambassador to Ukraine, which was the subject of testimony at Mr. Trump’s first impeachment trial.

As he was pressuring Ukrainian officials to investigate the Bidens, Mr. Giuliani became fixated on removing the ambassador, Marie L. Yovanovitch, whom he saw as an obstacle to those efforts. At the urging of Mr. Giuliani and other Republicans, Mr. Trump ultimately ousted Ms. Yovanovitch.

explored whether he was working not only for Mr. Trump, but also for Ukrainian officials or businesses who wanted the ambassador to be dismissed for their own reasons, according to people briefed on the matter.

Under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, or FARA, it is a federal crime to try to influence or lobby the United States government at the request or direction of a foreign official without disclosing it to the Justice Department.

The prosecutors have scrutinized Mr. Giuliani’s dealings with Yuriy Lutsenko, one of the officials who helped Mr. Giuliani and his associates in their dirt-digging mission while also urging them to work to get the ambassador removed.

Among other things, the prosecutors have examined discussions Mr. Giuliani had about taking on hundreds of thousands of dollars in apparently unrelated consulting business from Mr. Lutsenko, which resulted in a draft retainer agreement that was never executed.

Mr. Giuliani has said he turned down the deal, which would have involved him helping the Ukrainian government recover money it believed had been stolen and stashed overseas.

As the investigation heated up last summer, prosecutors and F.B.I. agents in Manhattan were preparing to seek the search warrant for Mr. Giuliani’s records about his efforts to remove the ambassador, but they first had to notify Justice Department officials in Washington, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Federal prosecutors must consult Justice Department officials in Washington about search warrants involving lawyers because of concerns that they might obtain confidential communications with clients. The proposed warrant for Mr. Giuliani was particularly sensitive because his most prominent client was Mr. Trump.

Career Justice Department officials in Washington largely supported the search warrant, but senior officials raised concerns that the warrant would be issued too close to the election, the people with knowledge of the matter said.

Under longstanding practice, the Justice Department generally tries to avoid taking aggressive investigative actions within 60 days of an election if those actions could affect the outcome of the vote.

The prosecutors in Manhattan tried again after the election, but political appointees in Mr. Trump’s Justice Department sought once more to block the warrant, the people with knowledge of the matter said. At the time, Mr. Trump was still contesting the election results in several states, a legal effort being led by Mr. Giuliani, those officials noted.

5. NewRoxFan

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This guy.:rolleyes:

Sure why not?

Newlin, Rashmon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, please. I will join you.

Os Trigonum and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Watching this buffoon work over the last year, there's no way in hell he got rid of everything that a motivated team wouldn't find. He can't even keep his brain juice transplant in his head.

9. NewRoxFan

I wonder how many people he will bring down?

10. NewRoxFan

Another of trump's "lawyers"...

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I hope they nail his ass, but I have to ask myself, clearly he has to be smart enough to throw things out, clean his computers and phones and come up with "alternate theories" after he knew Trump would not be able to block the warrants anymore.........He is a dumba$$ but he cant be that big of a dumba$$......oh please please let me be wrong

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what a coincidence that the guy investigating Hunter Biden's foreign grifting gets raided by the Feds

basso likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sucks for Rudy -- they are out to get him.

ElPigto likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who is Rudy working for conducting that investigation? He isn't working for the government, or any law enforcement agency.

I don't think it's a coincidence that an unscrupulous liar like Rudy who has spent time hanging out with known criminals is being investigated.

Sure, it's fun to pretend like that has anything to do with it, but I have seen zero proof that one is the reason for the other, and there are several other possibilities of rationales to explain the raid.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

While he operated a "cybersecurity" consulting business - I can confirm for you he is indeed that big of a dumbass based on literally every single thing he has said and done in public for the last 5+ years. I mean, there's even a treasure trove of stories about him being insanely dumb and careless about consumer electronics in particular - incriminating butt dials to reporters: ,

rambling voicemail to the wrong senators,

incriminating voicemail to the wrong attorney etc.

ROCKSS, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Unappointed parasite of the government

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm waiting on Biden's tweets about investigating Trump and Giuliani.

You basically made an argument that any investigation of any political figure is a witch hunt?

You know how we knew Gulliani's "investigation" was a witch hunt? The fact that Trump had to go to non governmental actors and non la enforcement actors to dig dirt rather than the FBI actually the one starting the investigation.

Why was Gulliani a min governmental actor going around Ukraine trying to dig dirt of a political opponent of Trump's when Ukraine and the US has a treaty that allows joint cooperation in investigations that involve both countries. So why wasn't it the FBI with Ukrainian officials in Ukraine investigating? Why was it a non governmental actor who openly was a Trump supporter? Can you explain that?

I also want you to show me where Biden himself directed the FBI to do this? Because I can point to dozens of Trump's tweets, rhetoric and even phone calls to foerign leaders wanting to investigate his political rivals. Can you show me that for Biden?

No Worries likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm waiting for him to call in to Joe & Mika tomorrow AM and explain himself - have my coffee ready to go to hear what wacky thing he slings.

You have to admit, even if you hate him, this guy Biden knows how to entertain!

fchowd0311 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Giuliani had too much time to trash evidence. But his demise would be too good to be true, so I won't hope for it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.