1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy, Larry, or Calvin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DallasThomas, Apr 20, 2003.

?

Who would make the better coach?

1. Calvin Murphy

52 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. Larry Smith

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Rudy Tomjanovich

47 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'm terribly sorry for bringing this topic up when it could easily be discussed in one of the many other "coaching changes" threads, but I wanted to post a poll for clarification purposes. I am a fan of Calvin Murphy's basketball knowledge and I believe he would be a better fit for this team than the other two options on this poll. I'm posting this poll in hopes that an overwhelming percentage may agree with me and perhaps someone from the Rockets organization might run across it and thusly plant this seed in the minds of their coworkers. It's really a dead topic, so the poll is the main reason y'all should even participate in this thread, which I hope you will.

And, to make myself look like a total "Larry Dierker Concept" nut, I believe that even Bill Walton would be a better fit as head coach than 99% of the other options. The way he trashes the non-fundementalists on television can only be a slight preview of what he would say in the locker room at halftime of a dribble-fest.

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

After this example, I suggest we have a poll about no more polls.

:(

3. DallasThomas

Sorry to have wasted your time.

4. kobo

kobo Member

Gosh...I thought you meant Larry Brown!

5. walls

walls Member

I get headaches listening to Calvin.

6. DallasThomas

Exactly my point. Wouldn't you just do what he said if you were a player just to make him shut up? Particularly if your name was Steve Francis and you didn't even need Calvin Murphy in order to get a migraine?

;)

#6 DallasThomas, Apr 20, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2003
  7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Long time no see Dallas. Good to see you back posting. :)

8. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I think Calvin Murphy would be a good choice for the Rockets. He get along with the players but also will demand performance from them. From his TV analyst, he seems to know what the problems are with the Rockets. He seems to be able to recognize them in the game pretty quick and probably able to adjust quickly. With what I see Doc Rivers did with the Magic (going from the booth to coaching), I think Murph can do the same or even better. Plus, he wouldn't cost Les an arm and a leg because Les still have to paid Rudy the remaining $12 millions on his contracts.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Same goes for me, dtown. Calvin Murphy bugs the hell out of me. The dull cookie jokes, the boring singing jokes and, worst of all, the jokes about how he's "broke." Nothing more annoying than a ridiculously wealthy person joking that he doesn't have enough money.

If it would get him off the broadcast, I'd almost go for it. But of the choices you posted, I gotta go with Rudy. Add Larry Brown to the poll and I gotta do some serious thinking.

10. rvpals

rvpals Member

Larry brown is still employed. He is not even in consideration.

I would like to see Calvin Murphy have a chance to show what he can do for the team.

11. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

But you don't know if Rudy was the announcer, he might irritate you more than Calvin.

Larry Brown with no strings, that's easy, take Larry Brown. Rudy goes the retirement route.

12. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

i would get boared with out calvin there on those nights where we lose

13. EMANUEL34

EMANUEL34 Member

Calvin at times can be annoying , but he knows basketball and could be what the Rockets need. Theres no doubt that he is a Rocket,but he holds no punches when it comes to talking about the Rockets short commings

14. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy makes the Rockets broadcasts so much more enjoyable to watch. That guy is hilarious and actually gets me cracking up laughing everytime I listen to him. He makes the games fun to watch. Anybody who doesn't enjoy listening to him talk has got to be a dull person with no sense of humor whatsoever.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Calvin is a great player but not a good coach.

He's too wishy-washy. I've heard him say one thing, then take it back 20 seconds later.

Example: "The Rockets need to do this..."
    (then they do the opposite on a particular play and it turns out successful) and then Calvin changes his mind.... "Oh, wait! What I meant to say is....blah blah blah..."

He embellishes. Like Bill Walton.

I've heard him say, "That's a bad shot (right before it goes in)."

The good thing about Calvin is that he has FIRE! He never gave up! And his work ethic was unmatched!

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

rvpal: Larry Brown is considering other offers. That's a known fact. Also, Clutch said in another thread (which I somehow missed, but have seen referenced many times) that we might be coached by a "Larry" next year. He didn't mean Smith.

Rockets_Truth: You think any interesting person with a sense of humor thinks Calvin is funny? Really? I know some people think he is, but he's hardly the barometer. What a colorless world where Calvin Murphy is the top of comedy. I love Calvin for his years as a player, but as a comedian he's on par with game show hosts.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The "Larry" coach reference Clutch made has been blown my out of proportion. Either that or I am mixing my reality with dreams. And Calvin is more goofy than funny.

Plus, What's up Dallas? How you been man? Good to see you on the board again. I'll shoot you an email w/in a day or two.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just because the shot goes in doesn't mean it wasn't a bad shot. I've seen Francis make some very difficult uncalled for shots that went in, but when they don't its looks like poor shot selection.

Remember the great pat riley came from the broadcast booth also. Sometimes that outside perspective is good for a team like Doc Rivers or those many bench player who became good head coaches. I still like Jimmy though

19. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I think a lot of people forget that Les tried to get rid of Calvin from the broadcasts a few years back. I don't think he likes the guy.

20. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I wished Les had!
    Calvin was a tremendous player some 20 yrs ago.
    I loved seeing him play but ...
    He is no broadcaster. Calvin has improved a lot this past year to become mediocre. He could not analyze the game or gave color commentary unless Bill Worrel fed him all the leads.
    Without Bill Worrel, the broadcast would be filled with dead air.
    Mike Newlin subbed for him once or twice and proved a much better man for the job. I am sure quite a few other ex-Rockets can be better than Calvin.

I doubt Calvin can be a good coach either. It takes a lot more than knowing to play BB to coach. There are hundred other ex-players out there. Some actually tried coaching at some levels and a lot did not excel at it.