1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gay request trade from Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Horry33, Jul 9, 2016.

1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm just still pissed that we traded Rudy away before the Swift-Gay-Head era could commence in Houston.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Except his deal is not expiring. All 3 of those guys have 2 seasons on their contracts.

It would be much easier to dispose of Brewer and KJ with their smaller contracts. Brewer's contract actually declines each season.

In fact, Gay is owed 28 million total. Brewer and KJ combined are guaranteed something like 22m total (and that's assuming KJ's option for 3.4m is picked up).

Gay makes 13m+ this season. Those two make 11m+.

There's no reason to do it. Gay would add absolutely nothing, and we would be stuck with that contract. He's a terrible team player, one of the worst black holes in the league on offense, terrible defender.

There's a reason his career is where it is. He has tanked all expectations. He is still the same player he was as a rookie, but at much higher price and with a much bigger ego.

Do not want. Like I said, if they take Brewer only I'd consider it. That way if he doesn't play a minute, we'll be fine. We need to keep KJ ($3.5m ffs) in case he happens to flourish under MDA and if Ariza's decline is age related rather than team culture related. Gay cannot play the 3 in 2016, and I'm not about creating a hole at the 3 spot just to see if MDA has the people skills to do what no other coach has been able to do for Gay in a decade.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They have to investigate this. There is absolutely no logic in him opting out unless he has been guaranteed the money some other way.

Why on earth would he opt out of a $14m year after suffering an achilles tear and not being able to prove he's healthy? So fishy.

da_juice likes this.
  5. Raz

Raz Member

Investigation? Why? Everybody knew he desperately wants out of Sacramento for months ("Basketball hell"), if not years and the Kings would've traded him in February, because he made it clear that there was no way he was staying there. Gay expects to be back on court in June, so he'll get the same money somewhere else. I think Brooklyn, Orlando and Miami will make a push.

6. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think that's as fishy as it is more due to stupidity. Maybe he saw how much Matthews made and things he can too. Definitely idiotic imo.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes but he tore his achilles tendon. He can play out the $14.5m year getting healthy, then get a bigger contract after that. Now, he is going to get a stagnant contract that reflects the risk of not knowing if he's ok. OF COURSE HIS DOCTOR IS GOING TO SAY HE'S ON TRACK lol. That's not how these things work.

roslolian likes this.
  8. Raz

Raz Member

And waste another year with the most dysfunctional team in the NBA? He wouldn't be the first one to leave money on the table to not play for the Kings. Gay turns 31 in August and made a couple of millions in his career, I guess after three years in Sacramento it's not about money anymore, he just wants to be with a reasonable franchise. Might as well sign a 1+1 contract at $10-12M and then see how it goes.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is stupid. Someone will pony up 10-12 million a year for Gay, for 3-4 years. A lot of desperate teams out there trying to improve. I would take the 30-50 million with more security and a better situation then the 1 for 14 in Sac.

basketballholic and Raz like this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes I'm sure there are a bunch of contenders willing to throw $20m (with 10M of that being a player option) at one of the most consistent losers in the NBA who tore his achilles tendon when he was 31 years old and hasn't stepped in an NBA game since and whose declining productivity was eerily correlated to his declining athleticism.

The Kings don't have to NOT suck for this to be fishy or totally idiotic as @malakas said.

11. Raz

Raz Member

Who said it would be contenders? Like I wrote, I think the Heat, Nets and Magic will give it a try and all of them have a way better chemistry and a lot more qualified people in charge. Everybody does compared to the Kings, maybe except the Knicks.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you want to improve you don't sign gay to 10-12 years. He'll take a ton of mid range shots, have less offensive value than your average 33% nba 3 pt shooter, clog up the lane for the rest of your players so they have a harder time scoring and not play any defense.

13. txn

txn Member

Wasn't OKC interested in Rudy Gay around the deadline? If OKC can somehow add Gay to the team, I think they can beat Utah and get to the 4th spot with the home court advantage at the 1st round.

14. Raz

Raz Member

They would love to, but with Westbrook at $28M, Adams at $22M, Oladipo at $21M and Kanter at $18M OKC doesn't have the cap room. Roberson will be a Restricted Free Agent and some desperate team will sign him for big money, so they'll be over the cap before they can even add talent. Presti made horrible decisions lately, hence he might not even be able to keep Taj Gibson.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong. I'd pay Battier twice as much to play for us. But from his perspective, I don't think it's a bad move to opt out. Someone will pay him.