1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rudy Gay packs on the summer muscle

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Melechesh, Aug 14, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your basketball IQ has been revealed...

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't understand all the hubbub about Rudy Gay. He turned out to be a Flip Murray, Von Wafer, Jason Terry type player trying to lead a team.

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

i wanted to post this the other day, but i didnt have the clearance, oh well. i wanted to keep this guy the night we drafted him, in hindsight he's exactly the type of player we need now,and for the past few years for that matter. i also think that he's ALOT better than deng or igoudala, who are pretty much at thier peaks. he's going to come back from USA ball this summer and be ready to have a break-out year 25ppg, 7 rebs, and 4-5 assist. :eek:

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

ALOT better than Iguodala? Iggy was the best player on a playoff team last year while Gay was the second best player on a ****ty team. Iguodala is stronger defensively, a better passer, better ballhandler. Easily a better player.

And if Deng were healthy, he would probably be better too but we would never know.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

valid points, i just think that iggy's reached his peak and that gay has higher

overall roof, and i know the grizz are bad, ok really bad, but the 6ers are in

the easy east so...

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Iguodala has reached his peak at age 25? Really?

7. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

The funny thing is that you waited all this time to post this nonsense.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Here were his playoff stats from the post season (2009):
    8.1ppg
    41%fg
    31%3fg

He played good on Kobe, but you have to hit more than 31% of your 3's if that is your main job.

He has been to playoffs 6 times his team record:
    12-26

Since his major selling point is that he doesn't contribute to stats just to wins and loses, the win lose record isn't so good.

9. BleedRocketsRed

His main job is to make 3s?

His playoff record is because he is a choker?

All this is news to me.

10. BleedRocketsRed

He has been in ONE postseason series in which his team was favored (Blazers/Rockets) and they won that

11. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

I cannot believe the comments I'm reading! Someone had the nerve to compare Rudy to Flip? Mark my words, Rudy Gay is an upcoming SUPERSTAR. Unlimited potential. He does need to improve his defense, but I believe he will.

12. BleedRocketsRed

He has potential but so far he hasn't really done much to show superstar-caliber. He is a bigger more glorified Wafer or Flip. That is just the way it is.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Good for him. It'll make him better. If he can put on 10 more pounds and really learn how to play in the paint, he could be a great player. Gay has never had the quickness to defend or create at a star level as a wing player, and so far hasn't had the strength to be an inside player. If his strength allows him to play inside without losing much quickness, he could be a nasty matchup at the 4.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, just stop...

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

All I can say about the Battier/Gay swap is that both teams got what they needed at the time. The Rockets got a solid role player and team leader that solidified the team and make us a contender, our team has been successful during Battier's 3 year run, I don't think anyone would really argue that. Memphis got a talented player that was a risk at the time but has turned out as well as he could.

Well actually I doubt Memphis really wanted to have 22, 22, and 24 wins during the Rudy Gay era, but you can't really put that on Gay, you can put some of it on trading away Battier though.

16. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Rudy Gay is not even the best player on his team, Let alone him being worth 10 million or even more. His potential may be high, but currently he is not high. He can score, and.......shoot...and it ends from there. He's the opposite of Shane Battier as I said. Instead of having no defense, intangibles, passing or whatever. He just has scoring and shooting and that's it.

Rudy Gay is not worth 10 million or more at this point. He might be later in his career, but as of now? Not even close.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wing players with poor handles cannot have "unlimited potential". I assure you Rudy Gay's potential is quite limited.

Putting on this muscle doesn't impress me. Gay needs to become a better basketball player. His first 3 years in the league DO NOT shout budding superstar. I don't see him getting a lot better than he is now. IMO, he's destined to be a 19/8 player (maybe 22/8 at his peak) with very few assists. The skills just aren't there to be dominant.

His highest potential is to be a 2nd fiddle to a great backcourt player. We'll see the progress O.J. May makes. He is the one and only Grizzly with a ceiling of greatness.

1 person likes this.
  18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Rudy Gay is a very frustrating strawman and his fan club serves for burdensome baggage for those of us still in opposition of the Battier trade.

I didn't like the Battier trade and I still don't but this objection is not on some merit due to Rudy Gay. He's not that great and doesn't have much more of a ceiling than what you are seeing. When the kids here tout his supposed greatness and unlimited potential, it creates a convenient strawman for the pro-Battier crowd (which is by nature on the whole, a more intelligent group it seems). This unwanted baggage makes it a lot more difficult for the rest of us detractors of that trade to debate it on an intellectual level.

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Anyone have pics?

I don't understand why he's bulking up. Granger is 6'8, 228 and that's where Rudy should stay around. That's also the player he should try to emulate. I mean, he's now 10 pounds heavier than Melo without the back to basket game and much skinnier legs! He still has his length but I'm pretty sure the 20 pounds of "muscle" will compromise his speed and agility. Memphis is just a mess, they have no idea what they're doing and probably forced him to bulk up so they would have something to excite the fans about. "What's the difference between Rudy and LeBron? Only 10 pounds now thanks to an amazing offseason!"

LOL.

20. FFz

FFz Member

Artest would prob be in the lakers locker room giving Kobe a back rub after the game... Okay i'm still in the anger phase. I'll move on.

Btw this whole Rudy Vs Shane comparison is r****ded. We were never goign to draft rudy anyway.