1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

RUDY---Coach of the year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AMS_blackwidow, Dec 6, 2002.

1. AMS_blackwidow

me 2.... well atleast more than atleast 10 other coaches..... i remember b4 the year isaias job was the msot un gauranteed one. now he is almost COY

2. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

What you mean basically a whole new team, I would say it's about 5 guys that have been with Rudy 4 yrs. Rick Carlise took over a completely new team and they pick up system and kept rolling right into the playoffs. That's why he won coach of the year.

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Good post TBar..

I don't know how you could possibly call Rudy "overrated" ..overrated where and by who ? The guy has two championships that speaks for itself.Overrated is a guy like Karl or VanGundy who people praise as great coaches but they've never won.

You can be a great x's and o's guy but lack in other areas and be a terrible head coach.No head coach is going to be perfect in every aspect..So what if Rudy likes the big man formula..it worked twice it can work again.With Yao Ming there is no better person than Rudy to coach this team.

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I like Rudy and I respect what he's done for the franchise, but if he doesn't wisen up, he's gotta go. This whole "guess who's starting" game isn't working, plus he's gotta change the whole offense because I'm not convinced Mobley will give up shots in order to get Yao shots when he comes back. I expect the Rockets to win atleast 45 games this year; anything less is a disappointment.

5. AMS_blackwidow

ya i don like the pick and choose starting line up eiter, bt it throws off opposing teams., and we have a good bench rotation if we swithch up so anyone can get hot real quick, not that it has appened

6. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Hope you'll forgive me for jumping in, but I've been too busy to spend time posting for about 4 months.

I have withheld judgement on Rudy for most of the time that he has been the coach, mainly because during our down times, we've had legitimate reasons for not doing well. But, now that we are on the upswing, I know that Rudy is an UNMITIGATED iDIOT!!!

I have just watched the Worlds second best Center sit on the bench for the ENTIRE 2nd QUARTER of the New Orleans game! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It takes an absolute dumb-ass to sit your best player for a full quarter!!

During that time our shooting was around 33%. If not for a late run by K.T. (who should have started in place of Taylor, and who should ALWAYS start in place of Taylor), and a 3 by Mooch, we would have still been around 33%.

So, W-T-F is the guy with the highest shooting per centage doing out of the game. Especially when Elden Campbell, a legitimate 7-footer is in the game shooting easily over E.G. and K.T.

If we don't finish with the 5th seed or better for the playoffs, Rudy should be fired! :mad: :mad: Rudy now has twice the talent that one the championships in 94'&95 and still can't seem to figure it out.

Why the hell is he still looking for a starting 4? K.T. has proven himself for the last full season +. This should not even be debated any more!!!

Ming, K.T., Rice, S.F. and Mooch. Mobely should be traded for another point, and Taylor for a number one draft choice. We have enough of EVERYTHING we need to go FAR INTO the playoffs!!!

Sorry, but watching Rudy lose us several games this season with his dumbass substitutions has made me realize what a complete idiot he is.

When we lost the game against the Suns, (with Marbury making a layup in the closing seconds), Rudy had Ming, E.G. and Cato all on the bench. There's no way that Marbury would have gotten that shot off had one or two of those guys been in the game.

Against Golden State, Ming got maybe 4 shots. Inexcusable!!!

So what if we have a back-to-back. What good does it do to to "save" Ming or others for tomorrow nights game if we don't win this one????

I'm done ranting for a while. I'm now officially off the Rudy bandwagon. The guy is clearly dumb as a rock!!!

7. AMS_blackwidow

hes restin yao for the back to back.

and if we win u gunnna seeem so stupid

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dont understand how everyone can get so mad at Rudy T. when you look at how young his team is. I think it is the 2nd youngest team in the league. You have to give them a couple of years to get used to each other. Yes I said years. Next year they will be better then this year. And the next year they should be great.

Sorry if that doesn't work for you, but that is the way it works.

And dont say that Indiana is young and look at how good they are doing. For one Houstons average age is even younger then them this year. And they have had a couple of years to get used to each other. I think they have 3 players that were drafted from high school.

And Rudy isnt Phil Jackson. He didnt come to a team with Shaq and Kobe. Not saying that Phil Jackson sucks or anything.

But I think its nice to have a coach that was here before they won anything. Got 2 rings, stocked up again with young players and ready to go back to the playoffs again with only a couple of years without going.

Pretty much to sum up what i have been saying is I cant belive that people expect all these players to just work together right away like majic. I think if you ask any GM in the league that if they thought Rudy was doing a good job this year they would say "yeah he has great talent but he has 4 rookies on his team, a 2nd year player that is 20 years old, just give this team some time they will be scary".

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

R-Us

For one thing if Yao would have played the entire second he would have long ago fouled out..He has also mentioned that he has been exhausted and has actually wanted to come out of games but has been reluctant to speak up.

Kenny has played like crap up until tonight so I don't see your point with there.

So if we finish 6th in the west off with his head ? :rolleyes:

Thats ridiculous !

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Rudy T certainly wont win Coach of the year if he continues to play Kenny Thomas in the crucial moments of games.

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me. Didn't we have the lead at have time.

I'm sure you will be back later in the season.

Blatz

#31 Blatz, Dec 6, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2002
  12. AMS_blackwidow

just wait tilll the rox beat another playoff team and everyone will be like.. oo yea rudy knows how to coach and all...

shoot just admit we got beat coz we couldnt shoot. plain and simple. not rudy's fault we didnt hit the shots........

13. Blatz

Wasn't Kenny the leading scorer with 29.

Blatz

14. AMS_blackwidow

yes but he dont provide much on the defensive end

15. KingDaddy

KingDaddy Member

Someone tell me why Moochie played so many damn minutes? Rudy has no clue. Line up's, Line up's, Lines up's. A monkey could put better line up's on the floor. I think "lucky" is just saying what a lot of us are scared to say.

16. JBIIRockets

Blatz, yeah, you are a smart basketball fan :rolleyes:

did you not watch the OT in tonight's game? KT getting stuffed, and missing jumpers when the Rockets really needed them.

You see, you look at the stats and nothing else, mix in some observation.

Geez

17. Blatz

I can understand what AMS_blackwidow said about he doesn't bring much on the defensive end, but you seem to be mad at Rudy for some one blocking Kenny's shots and for missing jumpers. That I don't understand.

I mean gee-whiz Wally :rolleyes: he did seem to have the hot hand.

I know we fans can get upset over a loss. I did too. I even said the same thing when his shot was blocked. But that feeling only lasted a second because I know it is silly to blame Rudy for it.

Blatz:)

18. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Because Cat was unavailable until tomorrow.

With Cat back, we can now solidify the rotation.

19. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Blatz -

I'm a die-hard Rockets fan. And I think that Rudy's got a good mind for defense. But honestly, the guy could not plan an offense if his life depended on it.

He has two of the quickest guards in the league and has been talking (and I emphasize talking ) for years about creating a motion offense, but we still consistently see people standing around the perimeter and dribbling from Steve/Mooch/Cat ad nauseum!! A coach is SUPPOSED TO CONTROL WHAT HIS TEAM DOES WITH THE FRIGGIN BALL!!

And oh yeah, AMS blackwidow...we lost the game!!! So, NO, I won't be climbing back on Rudy's bandwagon even if we do well in the playoffs. The reason will be talent, not coaching!!

I believe that had Rudy played Yao and E.G. more in the early going tonight, instead of MoT and Cato for the minutes that he did, we would have won the game.

And, I didn't even mention in my earlier rant that Rudy can't even find a few minutes a game for a #1 draft choice in Nachbar, who probably has better hops and just as pure a stroke as Rice does. I do think Rice should start at the three, but Nachbar should be his first option to back-up the three!!!

Can anybody out there provide even a remote clue as to why Nachbar can't even crack the lineup when our offense has struggled in most of our games?

And DAROckets+JBII Rockets - We wouldn't have even come close to going into O.T if K.T. hadn't been making shot after shot throughout the game. The guy flat out hustles and MoT can't even spell defense. So, if his shot isn't falling, he's worth even less than Cato.

And if you say that he has not been doing a decent job so far this season - I challenge you to go and check the stats on the Rockets web site and compare shooting %, rebounds per game, and average to MoT, or E.G. and then come back with some kind of argument. Either come with the facts or don't bring it at all!!

Rudy can't hold a candle to most coaches when it comes to offensive imagination. Calvin Murphy points out the offensive difficiencies game after game and applauds the team when they do well, just as I do. But he also takes them to task when they play like high schoolers. Steve still thinks plays like he's at JUCO.

His job as a point guard should be to average 10-15 ASSISTS per game, not be concerned with being in the top 3 in scoring!!

Watch what happens when Cat comes back, he will either shoot us in or out of the game, but I doubt that he will pass the ball to Yao more than two or three times all game tomorrow.

I guess we'll see what "genius" moves Rudy comes up with for tomorrow night. Esecially against Iverson, who will make mince-meat of Rudy's "match-up" zone.

Peace to all of you!!

:cool:

20. JBIIRockets

well, first all I am Pro-Rudy T and always will be, but even I can question his decision making every once in a while. In fact, this is the first time I have ever questioned Rudy T's decisions on the BBS here.

Thing is this. Kenny Thomas should NOT have been out there in the overtime. Kenny Thomas is not player that can make big shots in crucial moments, and he can't get to the foul line in crucial moments, and finally ball movement is needed to execute offensively in crucial moments. Kenny is not a ball movement player. He doesn't even know what pass means.

And Kenny's hot hand went cold in the 2nd half, he was back to his same old self, Rudy should have known that.

Just because a player has a hot hand in one portion of the game does not mean he automaticlly should become a player that should play in the crucial moments of 4th quarters and overtimes.