1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUDY---Coach of the year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AMS_blackwidow, Dec 6, 2002.

1. AMS_blackwidow

i know rudy T makes some of the most stupid decisions ever, but u have to admit he does have his way around problems,,, with all the ppl gettin mentioned for Coach of the year,. i dunno Y Rudy is not mentioned this year... i cant personally name any other team that is in the top 5 in a conference with 2 i repeat TWO rookies starting,. and then he has adjusted to having two foreign players in the same year, and he has done a fairly decent job adjsuting the PF spot, he hasnt ticked off anybody yet, if it was any other coach all the PF's would be complaining about playing time. Rudy has done very well jsut adjusting all the players to all the new postiions. the only ppl complaining about a particular F's playing time are the fans and thats wat i beleive is hurting Rudy's chance of being a coach of the year.... suppport your coach he has done a very nice job... and all of it without his leading scorer from last year, 2 key memebers of the bench(KWillis, and walt williams) and he has nicely fit 2(i wihs it was 3) rookies, and 2 forwards coming off injuries,,,,,,,,, GOOD job RUDY. KUDOS. u got my support...
    just hoping other fans would support him

:)

2. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

You're joking right? He might win the award for the most "overrated" coach of the year, but that's about all. Rudy makes bad decision after bad decision. He would make a wonderful GM, but as a coach, he's not that good. Now, I know you’re going to say that he’s won 2 championships, but it doesn’t take a lot of coaching knowledge to run the “dump down to Hakeem play.”

3. AMS_blackwidow

ok i get ur point. and i dont give a bull that he won those 2 championships. but try to tell me that rick Carlise would do anything with this team....... NO. he has basically a whole new team here. only person starting from last year is Stevee. and he was injured the whole year

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I don't know about Rudy...but I can tell you this...if Yao continues his remarkable rookie season, CD has to be in the running for exec of the year for getting the deal with the CBA done and getting Yao over here.

5. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Rudys coaching skills are well respected by knowledgable fans around the NBA. Remember the move in the Phoenix series ( Barkleys cancelled butt kicking party) when he put Robert Horry on Chuck and turned the series around.
    Rudys facing the same situation soon, will he let Shaq foul Yao out of the game , or will he have a scheme. Dont underestimate Rudy T

6. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well "overrated" is a bit harsh don't you think?

Rudy has not only won 2 championships with one great player and a bunch of role players, he also took one of those teams to the championship from the 6th seed and beat 4 50+ win teams to get there.( BTW that is still the lowest seed ever to win a championship)

He took a bunch of scrub CBA and college players to a bronze medal in the World championships a few years back.

George Karl in supposed to known as a great Xs and Os guy but he could not even medal in the last world championships yet Rudy won a gold in the Olympics.

Rudy is the not the master when it comes to Xs and Os but he is not the worst by far.

Overrated is not what I would use to describe Rudy. Coach of the year would be a stretch unless we somehow went into the playoffs as the 3rd seed or better and eclisped 50 wins.

7. AMS_blackwidow

im not sayin he should win, but he shouldnt be hated on

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I completely agree! Look at the facts:

1. Rudy T has taken a team that only one 28 games last year and is on pace to win 48 games. That is a 20 game turn around!

2. The Rockets success so far this season has been accomplished with 2 rookies getting starters minutes.

3. For the second straight year Rudy T has not been able to play his starting group together at any part of the year due to injuries (Mo Taylor, Glen Rice, Terence Morris and Cuttino Mobley), and suspensions (Mo Taylor).

The only problem anyone can find in Rudy T’s coaching so far is that they do not like the manor in which he is achieving success with the Rockets. However, his success can not be disputed and in the end that is the only true way to measure a professional coach. If Yao Ming and the Rockets continue on their present course then there is no reason that Rudy T should not get serious consideration for Coach of the Year.

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yes. As Dennis2112 said. Rudy seems more like a facilitator and motivator
    rather than a Xs and Ox type coach.

Smith, Wells and Boylen seem to be more knowledgeable in the Xs and Os realm.

Rudy might leave those tasks to those guys. That could be happening this
    year for the first time (coming up with the new "motion offense").

10. Toast

Toast Member

So far, I like Isiah Thomas as coach of the year. Indiana's looking tough, and that's without Reggie Miller making much of a difference.

But I do love Rudy T.

11. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Yeah, he'll probably get the coach of the year. No one thought he could coach, but now he is proving a lot of people wrong.

I think our best bets are: The Rockets having Ming win ROY, CD with Exc. of the year, and Steve making it onto the NBA 3rd team (Kidd and Payton ahead :( )

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

With the improvement from last year to this year, Rudy will definitely be in the running for coach of the year along with his buddy Larry Brown.

13. ruyun5

ruyun5 Member

How about Ming and Steve start for the All-star game. Ming will get lots of votes from China to top the 2-million all-start record. Steve will get lots of votes from Chinese fans too if he and Ming keep feeding each other.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Throw in an NBA championship.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just wanted to say I like that it was said Rudy would make a great GM. I've always hoped that he never gets fired and when it comes time to leave his position as head coach it's to a promotion. He's done such a great job with the organization and been with it so long. Also, I think he and CD have always done an incredible job of finding talent in drafts, particularly when we're late on the board. (with the exception of the year they passed up on Rashard Lewis!)

I think we're very fortunate to have a good coach who is a staple within the organization and players love to play for. Does anybody remember when he was coaching that olypmic team and they were practising in hawaii and Kevin Garnett said he'd walk to Sydney to play for Rudy T?

He may have been blessed with a player like Dream, and later players like Drexler and Charles Barkley and now Francis and Yao Ming, but alot of coaches out there have had talented teams and never done anything with them. Rudy gets the job done. Coach of the Year? We'll see later in the year, but regardless I'm a fan of Rudy Tomjanovich.

16. tsl99

tsl99 Member

If Rockets can get a good playoff run.... why not Rudy?

17. AMS_blackwidow

just wait till Boki heats up. he will get even more looks around the L. and ppl will be praising him left and right

18. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I get so sick of posts like these..as if all it took to win a championship was “dump down to Hakeem play.”

I think a hell of a lot more went into it than that :rolleyes:

Bad coaches don't win championships.Several coaches before Rudy had their shot with Hakeem and didn't win a ring.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I think he was referring to Rudy not being able
    to implement a offense that was any more
    complex than "dumping it down to Hakeem."

Although, Rudy did stress defense and chemistry.

Add the fact that Hakeem started to change his
    game later in his career might have had some
    affect on how "coachable" he was.

It was a combination of all these things.
    But, I really believe that if Rudy never stressed
    team defense, we'd never have won those titles.

Our offense was way to predicable for a no-defense team.

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Give Rudy Credit. He has done better than many others who have had more talent. Do not blame Rashard Lewis not being drafted only on Rudy. At the time I think he and CD had reservations about drafting a player straight from high school.

Rudy has been one of the best at adapting his team during a series to better match up and succeed. He is a good talent. Look at George Karl - who is a better detail man and X's and O's coach- he has never won a championship. Karl could not handle the difficult psyche of Payton. Karl had more talent than us every year. Phoenix was a much better team than us in the championship years. Rudy gets the credit-and should. He is well respected by players.

REmember who we had in the 1st championship???? One all star in Hakeem, a role player in Otris Thorpe, a rookie in Sam Cassell, a young under ahciever in Robert Horry, a bipolar- sociopath in Vernon Maxwell, and a streaky guard in kenny smith.

Give Rudy props

He will not be nominated for coach of the year, but Isiah Thomas will.

I personally think that Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird had built that team and had it ready. Thomas should get little credit for Jermaine Oneal maturing into a dominant player.

I like Rudy.

Look at Van Gundy- the Knicks spent a fortune to get Alan Houston from Detroit, and aquire Chris Childs- all that money and no title. Van Gundy had an owner with deep pockets in cablevision. He did not win a title....

I like Rudy.....