1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ruben Patterson to register as a sex offender

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?...MPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

Nuggets get sex offender in trade

DENVER - The Nuggets newest player will have to register as a sex offender when he arrives in Denver.

Ruben Patterson came to the Nuggets in a four-team trade Thursday just before the expiration of the NBA trade deadline.

Patterson has been involved in a number of off-court issues during his NBA career. The incidents include a 2001 episode in which reached a plea deal in a case involving the attempted rape of his children's nanny.

As part of a plea deal in that case, Patterson must register as a sex offender in the state where he lives. He was also sentenced to 15 days in jail.

Patterson was 25-years-old at the time. He is now 30.

Although Patterson never admitted to the crime he did tearfully apologize to his wife in court for cheating on her.

Patterson was with the Seattle Supersonics at the time. He was traded Thursday from the Portland Trail Blazers.

While with the Sonics, Patterson was also charged with domestic abuse against his wife. Those charges have since been dropped and the couple has divorced.

Following his game Wednesday with Portland, Patterson said he was happy for a chance to play with a new team.

"I'm just ready to be happy," he said. "It's time for Ruben Patterson to start his life over."

Patterson is the only registered sex offender in the NBA. He is averaging 11.5 points per game this season.

In the trade Seattle sent forward Reggie Evans to Denver and center Vitaly Potapenko to Portland and received Earl Watson, forward Byron Russell and a second-round pick from the Nuggets. Portland sent Patterson and Charles Smith to the Nuggets and acquired Voshon Lenard and forward Brian Skinner from Sacramento.

Portland then sent Potapenko to the Kings along with Sergei Monia.

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Watch out for the WHITE GIRLS Ruben!!!!! They almost got Kobe, they'll get you.

3. pacertom

pacertom Member

LOL at the headline.

no sugar-coating it!

welcome aboard, scum of the earth!

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's my reaction too. That Headline is hilarious! Nice PR!

5. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

You gotta love it when sex offenders refer to themselves in the third person.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, he's been doing fine for a while now, hopefully he has turned his life around because he's one of my favorite role players in the league...I've always wanted him on the Rockets.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I did not know Byron Russell was still an active player in the league

8. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Sadly, he's had some injury problems. He's actually the player I'm most upset about trading. GREAT locker room guy.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The guy's been one of the biggest assholes in the league for a while - the rape was just one part of his long and varied record of on and off court jackassery, he actually FOLLOWED UP his sex offender plea by beating up his wife, engaging in various night club brawls, and attacking Zach Randolph in 2003, his last reported transgression. Well, let me make that his last reported transgression that could be a felony, as his 5 game suspension for calling out Nate McMillan last year doesn't count. Unsurprisingly, he's a locker room piece of sh-t who treats his teammates that way (he and Rasheed Wallace reportedly had a funny habit of throwing basketballs at unsuspecting rookies/scurbs as hard as they could - real funny)

Plus - he ****ing sucks for the money he makes. Decent defender - not the "Kobe Stopper" bullsh-t hype that was stupidly publicized, who can't shoot to save his life. He's like a souped up Ryan Bowen with baggage who makes 5x as much money -- on the court. Off the court, he's a piece of sh-t, and always has been.

#9 SamFisher, Feb 25, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  10. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He's a louse, but he's an underrated offensive performer at this point in his career. 11.4 points (on 50 percent shooting) in 23 minutes (with very few plays run for him) is pretty solid. A few too many turnovers, but this more than makes up for the half-step he's seemed to lose from this time last season.

And the perfect replacement for Najera at this point.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Always wanted him regardless on the Rockets.

sex offender? show me one player in the NBA that isn't a registered sex offender.

then you can argue that patterson shouldn't be on this team.

and it was written.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

aw man... yao's a sex offender??

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's a junk scorer who can get some points on tip ins and transition, and he's not bad at it - that is true, though you can leave him open on the perimeter with no problem. His defense seems to have slipped considerably according to the numbers though - if you buy into the (self created) myth that he was an awesome stopper to begin with.

F-k him.

14. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I view Evans as more of the Najera replacement right now. I honestly wonder if Patterson's going to force his way into the starting lineup (at a swingman position). Buck is solid, but Patterson might be better.