1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

To show he's an idiot who uses an iPhone. I mean come on, you're making the big bucks now upgrade to the new Lumia 920! You'd have to be crazy not to love the new live tile experience!...

Why is he so intent on getting attention, that is my biggest question. Even if the fans love him it won't net him a trade or a playing time. He needs to just leave it alone.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How many off days do you get?

The team has been accomodating.

Royce even says he isn't having an anxiety attack, just that is afraid he could.

Personally I think Royce White needs to get off of Twitter, figure himself out, and decide if he wants to be an NBA player. If it so bad he can't attend practices or games, then he needs to retire.

Everybody was prepared for fear of flying. Nobody was prepared for this.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is what I'm thinking as well.

I have dealt with people with bipolar and people with anxiety. People with anxiety aren't difficult to deal with, but people who are bipolar can be extremely difficult.

He really shouldn't be missing doctor appointments.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

looks like he deleted the calendar as well......correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure he violated a team rule by posting it.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

So a guy with Cancer or one leg can also act like a complete douche to people?

I understand Royce has an issue with anxiety, but that doesnt mean he can act like a douche to his team. Then it's just a character flaw. Or, he needs to work on his anxiety until it no longer controls him in this way, like many other people have done.

You don't think people who've had crippling physical illnesses also harbour bitterness and resentment or have a negative attitude? It's not just limited to people with mental illnesses. But people that work hard to see their situation in a positive light will succeed, while those that don't will continue to remain negative and act like Royce White here.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You really can't say that. Royce is having a breakdown at the moment and he may return stronger than ever after this episode, however long it lasts. Many folks have recovered from episodes like this This may be the crises he needs to finally confront his fears and come to terms with his condition.

Who knows? if the Rockets see this through with him and he can play, we might eventually dealing with one of the all time great Rockets and he might have great loyalty to the team and the city and even be quite an ambassador for the Rockets..

Royce seems like a good guy totally out of his mind at the moment and it is silly that some jump to the conclusion that his current behavior represents who he will always be.

Chill, guys and girls-- the one or two of you.

1 person likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Standing up to what? What "inconsistencies"? The only person we have proof of lying here is Royce himself.

Standing up how? By shying away from your responsibilities, running and hiding?

Standing up would be going to your employer and working out your differences, not spending all day on twitter arguing with random people and trying to gin up sympathy for yourself.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Classic trainwreck on the side of the road. Yes, we are all rubbernecking.

9. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Im going through his old tweets and legit LOL'd at this.

Royce's hobby photography:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Wonder what all they said in that PTI segment. Anyone happen to catch it?

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm actually surprised this is the first athlete meltdown of such magnitude on Twitter.

I mean, Terrence Williams was unhappy and angry, but he just kept it to a few cryptic tweets.

We know Delonte West and Artest are crazy too, but they have enough discretion.

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Honestly, it's as simple as this - no NBA team should draft a mentally ill person.
    Was that so hard?

13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

My #anxiety is fine
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>My <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23anxiety">#anxiety</a> is fine, besides being disappointed in the communication, and worried about consistency and the effect that has on my health.</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268815289104359424" data-datetime="2012-11-14T20:38:53+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

As an expert, I'd like to respond to your post. I agree with some of what you are saying but I think much of it is off-base.

First, you are right that mental illness causes people to miss work and it is not considered acceptable to do so. Where you are wrong is when you give White kudos for not doing that. Fact is, White is essentially calling in sick under false pretenses at the moment. Him not showing up to training camp, practices, and games is not really because the Rockets are not being sensitive to his problems. He is not showing up because of his anxiety and his overwhelming fear in facing it. He is blowing everything up as a way of avoiding his anxiety. That is pretty obvious at this point.

Second, comparing an anxiety disorder to cancer is ridiculous. I have said this before on this board and will say it again- you can't overcome cancer simply by facing your fears. You can overcome an anxiety disorder simply by facing your fears. I had a similar debate with someone on this board a couple of months ago who basically equated a Veteran losing a limb with White's fear of flying. Ridiculous.

True no two people are alike, but actually there are good treatments out there that work on most people. Let's not act like White is not getting better because of this. He is not getting better because he has yet to make the decision to face his anxiety head on. Easier said than done, I know, but it's not the same thing as having a terminal illness that one must passively slowly die from.

1 person likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Holy crap, you're right. The whole problem is because his calendar is off by a day. Today is not 11/15; it is 11/14! How did this happen!

Someone is sabotaging Royce's phone calendar. Must be another Rookie fighting for playing time.

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I have several family members that died from cancer, and I can assure you that it's much worse.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Heard on 1560 that Clutch is going to be with the Afternoon Delight (Clanton/Wessling) and talk about this, amongst other Rockets stuff. Don't know which hour.

18. opticon

opticon Member

He needs to take a long hard look at Terrence Williams. Squidy had tons of ability and upside but his antics got him stuck in China.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah he's probably upset over the fact Chandler Parsons never had to go to the D League but he is. Probably told rockets management your not going to screw me over like you did Marcus Morris and Carl Landry... have the world thinking I suck I want to play now lol

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Coming up here at 5:15.