1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I'll tell you one thing, he has balls by saying the Rockets are laughable. However, doesn't he know by now he should stop talking because he's making it worse but then again, he probably doesn't care if he ever plays a game in the NBA!

2. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Here you go.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=226995

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Exactly. What a bunch of ignorance in this thread.

4. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Royce has stuck his foot in his mouth much like Tmac had a talent for doing, and may never give us anything on the court, but his salary alone makes him much easier to deal with in a worse case scenario. If he refuses treatment and/or to attend team meetings they can just fine him/suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. It's not like he is eating up a good chunk of the salary cap and was a key contributor to the team's success. It's unfortunate that things aren't working out better than they have, but Tmac's salary and prominence on the team were significantly bigger factors than Royce not playing for the Rockets, which very likely could have happened all season even if he was a model citizen.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Well said, and I totally agree. It is one thing to disapprove of the way he has handled it, and believe me I do. You were able to articulate that without condemning him to hell. My issue is with those people wishing him ill and trying to generate some type of mob mentality of sending him hate messages.

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No, it kills.
    Anxiety is the major cause of fatal suicide attempts.

7. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

I dont think all of it is ignorance. I dont fault him for having this disorder but to just not show up to your job and no is aware of why is inexcusable. Say what you want but he needs to keep people updated on where he is.

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

So having anxiety disorder gives you full right to throw your team under the bus? I see..

1 person likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think you raise a good point. Initially i was mad. Then i was repulsed. Now i feel sorry for Royce. It's clear there is something wrong and as a human being i sincerely hope he finds a way to get the help he needs. I don't think anyone would willfully act this way. At some point you have to chalk the entire episode up to his mental illness. Maybe it's just easier for me to come to grips with it this way considering how disappointed i am in his actions. Basketball be damned. I just hope he gets well.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I feel exactly the same way. I think many wanted to root for him early on but he is quickly running out of goodwill, from all sides. I still hope for the best, but it is probably in vain.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The anxiety disorder advocate is making sure future players with anxiety disorder never get drafted.

1 person likes this.
  12. bongman

bongman Member

Royce seems to feel that he is fighting for a cause and have people understand this disorder. What he doesn't seem to realize is that based on his actions, people who have his disorder will have very little chance of getting drafted in the NBA again. He is giving them a reason to discriminate.

13. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Ok, so physically healthy people who suffer from anxiety choose to kill themselves, while people who had evey intention of living die from cancer. You want me to feel bad for a dude paid to play a game?

Nope.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So who has completely sided with Royce White so far?

Mathloom, Batman Jones, roxxy...anyone else? Not many, really.

1 person likes this.
  15. Goodbye Orbit

Goodbye Orbit Member

Am I reading this correctly? All of this began with White being upset with his playing time and then proceeds to use his illness as his fallback to missing the teams scheduled events?

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

No one is acting as if be doesn't have a real issue! But there plenty of people with the same issues that go to a real job everyday! He is one of a very few amount of people that get to play basketball for a job! Yet he chooses to act like a baby and call out his employer on twitter! If he was in the real world, he would be fired!

Not to mention he is incredibly arrogant when he acts as if nobody knows as much as he does about anxiety! Ironically, he constantly mentions "progress" but he refuses to face his fear of planes and in stead rides a bus and separates himself from the team! I just understand why he thinks he deserves so much special treatment! He's a self-entitled spoiled brat... And a bit of a coward!

1 person likes this.
  17. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

My wife has GAD and comorbid depression. From the outside looking in it seems the Rockets have been fair with him and his disorder, and it feels more like a Terrance Williams type issue than a mental disorder issue.

18. CCM721

CCM721 Member

If his anxiety is so severe that you use it as a reason to throw your own team under the bus and to try and it's pretty insane that he thinks it's okay to miss multiple practices and a game even if he did tell them beforehand. He is getting paid millions of dollars.

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

No ignorance Mr Jones, we all love and support this kid, and I for one wish him well in life first, BBall second, but his recent actions and comments on Twitter have shown his unprofessionalism, lack of respect for the Rockets organisation and his employer.

If anyone was to do this in the real world they would find themselves on the back of the unemployment line quick smart.

If he were to come out on Twitter or in the media and say something along the lines of:

'I have handled this situation incorrectly by trashing the Rockets organisation via social media, I apologise to my fans and the Rockets organisation. I know that the Rockets are concerned about my health and well being, and we will work together in dealing with my mental disorder as well the Basketball side of things'

I believe that the sentiments of the fans on this board will change. People are bound to be mad at him trashing the Rockets when they have bent over backwards in accommodating his requests. Many on this board have been Rockets fans longer than Royce White has been alive.

We all want to see him get help to overcome his condition, but not at the expense of the other 14 guys on the roster. We have a game today against the Hornets, but the only thing in the media concerning the Rockets is not how we almost took down the World Champion Heat, not Chandler Parsons & Omer Asik having career nights...heck not even Jeremy Lin! We are all reading about the situation with Royce White.

End of the Day, if you don't go to work, you won't get paid...and eventually you will get fired.

He has talent to be a star in this league, but so did Terrence Williams.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I have a friend with a similar story. For years we thought he had a split personality because he could be the life of the party or severely anti-social, on the same day. Once HE recognized his condition (and it took years before he would admit he had one), HE took the steps he needed to live a normal life. He almost lost his wife and kids and it took that type of stimulus for him to make changes to his environment and within himself.

He tried using drugs like xanax initially but he now mostly controls his condition (anxiety) with mental exercises (visualization), reminders/positive notes to himself and routine. Routine is so important for people with these challenges. But it all starts with the individual, he has to want/commit to help himself.

1 person likes this.